• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know and hoping he comes back to hang out with me as an adult. He is almost 17 and just got his drivers license, so I can feel it coming already….
What's the word I'm looking for? A conundrum? We want them to succeed, and be able support themselves and prosper, same time we want to keep them close and hang on to the "now". I have twins, boy and girl, when they both went off to college, it was a punch to the gut. Happy they are doing well, but missing the "need dad" days.

What's the word I'm looking for? A conundrum? We want them to succeed, and be able support themselves and prosper, same time we want to keep them close and hang on to the "now". I have twins, boy and girl, when they both went off to college, it was a punch to the gut. Happy they are doing well, but missing the "need dad" days.
Kinda like teaching them for months to walk and talk,,,, then tell sit down and shut up?!! 😒
I guess it's not really the same.

Great report Ed!

We are getting our gear together today and will be back out in the woods in a week. I can’t wait!
That's Great.
Glad to hear you'll be making to the woods. Best of luck to the both of you. Hope ya limit out.
I'm sure you'll have great time either way.

You better be packing something belt fed for personal protection Cruiser! If any of those Pineys have ties to the Colony..........just sayin.🤣
"Just sayin." Is right!! Sunday and Monday camped in elk country there was extreme behavior by the little pineys. They would constantly circle the camp staying in the surrounding spruce and fir trees. They would stop and look at me, chattering in what could only be anger and disdain. When camp robbers descended on the camp to partake of leftover biscuits they would amplify the chattering as though a warning and the camp robbers would flee to the trees and stare at me in fear and distrust then finally departing.

The chipmunks did enjoy the biscuits and seemed thankful and of good cheer. So, it's nice to know that at least one rodent species doesn't hate me. ☹️

"Just sayin." Is right!! Sunday and Monday camped in elk country there was extreme behavior by the little pineys. They would constantly circle the camp staying in the surrounding spruce and fir trees. They would stop and look at me, chattering in what could only be anger and disdain. When camp robbers descended on the camp to partake of leftover biscuits they would amplify the chattering as though a warning and the camp robbers would flee to the trees and stare at me in fear and distrust then finally departing.

The chipmunks did enjoy the biscuits and seemed thankful and of good cheer. So, it's nice to know that at least one rodent species doesn't hate me. ☹️
Hope you're sleeping with one eye open and your tomahawk close by. Just remember, if they fight like Apaches, they'll send fifty at once.

I went and checked my squirrel hunting woods today, first time there all summer. The grass is waist high ,some parts the sweet clover is 6 & 7 feet high. I know they better be dead before they hit the ground or I'll never find them forsure. I didn't see any squirrels today but it's 85 degrees, and I never made it there till after 12:00. I'll head down there next Saturday at sun up for season opener and see what happens. 5 days and a wake up.

Looking at the extended weather for next Saturday, us PA hooligans should have a good morning of hunting. 50's in the AM, no rain forecasted (allegedly). Not sure about wind yet. 5 and a wakeup!
I’ve been watching the forecast for a week and the temp keeps going up but the morning should be nice. It won’t get here soon enough!!

I live in town. We’ve had many squirrels this summer but far fewer now. This morning there were a couple in and out of the oak tree in the yard but when I walked the dog around lunch time none to be seen although I heard one. That is very different from earlier this summer. Many must have moved on.

Huh... I guess it's squirrel season open right now...

I've never gone either... I've got a few as a kid but.. I've never gone out for them. Or ate one yet..

wonder how a pasta sauce would taist with a couple in there.
Being from an Italian family, everything we brought home went into the sauce. DELISHOUS

Gotta be a winner 🏆
I live in town. We’ve had many squirrels this summer but far fewer now. This morning there were a couple in and out of the oak tree in the yard but when I walked the dog around lunch time none to be seen although I heard one. That is very different from earlier this summer. Many must have moved on.
Sometimes I think they are just chilling in their digs.

Huh... I guess it's squirrel season open right now...

I've never gone either... I've got a few as a kid but.. I've never gone out for them. Or ate one yet..

Just parboil a few of them til they are falling apart. Take em out and let cool. Then remove the bones and chop the meat up a bit and toss it in the sauce. If ya wanna kick it up a notch toss in some dried cilantro and add about a half of a small jar of picante (?) sauce. Yum yum.

Maybe they're on one of those squirrel migrations.

Maybe they're on one of those squirrel migrations.
Kentucky squirrel hunting report.

I have not squirrel hunted in the last two days but I have been bow hunting. While sitting in my ground blind mornings and evenings I have noticed a change is squirrel behavior. Specifically, there is as much, if not more, activity during the evenings than mornings now.

Another big change is, I’ve been seeing quite a few squirrels on the ground during the evenings. This is a marked difference than during the mornings when squirrels much prefer to remain up in the trees. However, my last squirrel hunting trip during the morning I did see a couple of squirrels starting to move on the ground.

Yesterday evening I watched a younger squirrel no more than 3 feet from my ground blind packing an old walnut in his mouth. It was definitely from last year as it was black and had the wrinkles on the sides. As I stood up and stuck my head out of my blind window, I was looking darn near straight down at the squirrel. He stopped, dug a hole and buried that walnut. The interesting aspect of this is, I don’t have a walnut tree on my property. Go figure!

Also, for at least 2-3 hours there were other squirrels moving on the ground. Some were packing hickory nuts to wherever they were going and the squirrel ground activity was almost constant in one place or another. Without doubt I’m seeing more squirrels in my small patch of woods now than were there a couple of weeks ago. There just happens to be about 6-8 hickory trees down there that have hickory nuts on them.

This tells me the squirrels are out there but have widely dispersed from where they might have been last spring. They have absolutely travelled into some locations from other places. Squirrels definitely travel for food. I’m seeing many squirrels in locations that I hunted during the spring squirrel season that were not there then. They are on the move. Many times so far this fall squirrel season I have heard and witnessed squirrels fighting in a territorial warning fashion. IMO, this is not uncommon but there appears to be more of this now than usual. Again, indicating they are on the move for whatever suitable food there is out there.

I am not sure if this cooler weather we have been experiencing the last 2-3 days has anything to do with the increased evening activity. However, one thing is for sure, the squirrels here are being seen on the ground during the evenings.

In addition, I’ve noticed that some trees that did have an abundance of hickory nuts and/or walnuts are now bare of such. The squirrels have cleaned them out. Due to the extreme dry conditions, many leaves have already turned colors and have fallen from the trees. This makes it easy to see any nut crops that might still be hanging on up in certain trees.

An additional note here. There appears to be a fair amount of hickory trees that are bearing nice, big hickory nuts but evidently the squirrels do not find them tasty at this time. Many times this fall season I have seen squirrels run up into hickory trees, grab a hickory nut, chew on it for only a short time, then move on to another tree. In some instances, I’ve watched squirrels do this and not even cut completely through the outer shell before they drop it and move on.

Summary: Squirrels are out there. Many have traveled to wherever the good food source is. It may appear that there is a lack of squirrels in certain locations, but that’s only due to the fact they have traveled on somewhere else for food.

Good hunting to all.

Last edited:
Patterns changed for the squirrels in my little woodlot in the past three weeks. A couple weeks ago I was seeing up to 15 at the same time feeding off my deer feed. It was a bit ridiculous and I even tried to tease Ed with a pic. The last two weeks, especially, they've all but disappeared and I'm seeing only two or three at any given time now. The ground is littered with hickory shells, which they started cutting about three weeks ago. The oaks and hickory have matured enough that the squirrels have dispersed again.

The local corn field is also going to tassel so they'll be raiding that food source soon as well. It is common to find numerous corn cobs well into the woods and I watch those buggers drag cobs as big as they are a hundred yards or so, over and over again in the fall. It's comical to sit there and see a squirrel bound into the corn and then see a random stalk start waving erratically... then moments later he's dragging that cob back to the woods.

20240909_123700_copy_800x551.jpg

Back