• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been crazy this week but my son and I did get out and bag two early season squirrels on Saturday. I didn’t take pics since we are still using unmentionables, but the slow cooker tacos on Sunday were really good!

I also just read through all the hunt reports. Great job everyone!

Speaking of pics, this whiteboard at Cabelas today initially annoyed me, but then I looked at it from a different perspective.

IMG_1582.jpeg

Not even a mention of squirrel season which is the only one actually open right now. Nothing on rabbit either. No respect for small game hunting, but then I realized that it means more targets and less other hunters for me….

The first of my new squirrel hunting camo arrived today. It’s not bad but I think I’m going to try to get away from the dark brown with the next batch. Truth be known, I didn’t want those brown blobs on this shirt but I got what I could get.

It ought to work well for any kind of hunting, especially squirrels. Should be great for the dark hardwoods any time of year. Once the leaves turn brown and begin to fall during squirrel stupid season, my guess is this will provide excellent blend in factor.

I have that camo in a jacket. It's reversible.

Attachments

• 20240917_184807.jpg
    20240917_184807.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240917_185958.jpg
    20240917_185958.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240917_185943.jpg
    20240917_185943.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Squirrel hunting friends: I’ve noticed last fall and starting again this fall the vast majority are females. It seems to change later in the year. 5 out of 6 so far this fall are females. Last year was the same.

Anybody else see this? Or is it just females are attracted to me😎
No sir. Not here. Its most all males that i have killed this year. In fact, I was considering making a post asking about this. During the spring hunt it was about half and half. Now its almost all males.

Must be the attraction by the females towards you. :)

Last edited:
I have that camo in a jacket. It's reversible.
Old School camo works very well. Much better than most of the junk out today that is meant to please the eyes of the hunter. Much like fishing lures, they catch more fisherman than fish.

I do not like the dark brown or black in most of what few options for Old School camo we have now, however.

These are deer season here..

I just got the orange zip up hoodie carhartt safety with thermal liner!!
It's 3x large to go over anything.

Attachments

• 20240917_191714.jpg
    20240917_191714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240917_191632.jpg
    20240917_191632.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240917_191620.jpg
    20240917_191620.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I still look at that millwalkie heated jackets?

I've seen them around work..

I keep thinking use this under the wool jacket.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240917_194128_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_194128_Chrome.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 0
Been crazy this week but my son and I did get out and bag two early season squirrels on Saturday. I didn’t take pics since we are still using unmentionables, but the slow cooker tacos on Sunday were really good!

I also just read through all the hunt reports. Great job everyone!

Speaking of pics, this whiteboard at Cabelas today initially annoyed me, but then I looked at it from a different perspective.

View attachment 349335

Not even a mention of squirrel season which is the only one actually open right now. Nothing on rabbit either. No respect for small game hunting, but then I realized that it means more targets and less other hunters for me….
No profits in it for them selling gizmos and doodads I imagine.

The oak and walnut trees around the barn are full of squirrels right now and they ain’t scared. I was real tempted today to load up the Jukar .45 with some #7 1/2 shot and put a couple out of my misery. I still might in a few days. One had a nice full tail, just right for making fishing jigs.

Back