• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. He uses dads supplies šŸ¤£ He's looking to transfer to Virginia next year.
Happens to me all the time. Grandsons always need something and once I hand it to them I never see it again. It's OK. They will eventually get it all so ........

Our squirrel season opened on the first. I and a grandson will probably give it a go on Thursday. Don't know what he'll be shooting but I'll use the closest thing that I have, a 45.

Happens to me all the time. Grandsons always need something and once I hand it to them I never see it again. It's OK. They will eventually get it all so ........

Our squirrel season opened on the first. I and a grandson will probably give it a go on Thursday. Don't know what he'll be shooting but I'll use the closest thing that I have, a 45.
Yep. He always says to me "mind if I have this when you're in the dirt?" šŸ¤£ He's mine, no denying it.

I played with the Crockett today trying thinner patching. One material it didnā€™t care for but some .015 ticking shot just as good as the .020 I have been and obviously loaded easier soooo, thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be hunting with.

I am enjoying having the muzzle coned too. It sure is nice to push the ball in with my thumb. I just got a .36 coning tool from Joe Woods. Iā€™m going to do my new flintlock. It needs it!

I played with the Crockett today trying thinner patching. One material it didnā€™t care for but some .015 ticking shot just as good as the .020 I have been and obviously loaded easier soooo, thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be hunting with.

I am enjoying having the muzzle coned too. It sure is nice to push the ball in with my thumb. I just got a .36 coning tool from Joe Woods. Iā€™m going to do my new flintlock. It needs it!
Higher quality .015 ticking certainly loads easy in mine as well. I would have stuck with it had it grouped as well as .018 ticking.

Did you try any .018 higher quality ticking?

Yep, I too, am sold on coning a barrel for a RB shooter. Hoping to come the barrel of my .54 GPR soon. No more silly short starters.

Last edited:
Higher quality .015 ticking certainly loads easy in mine as well. I would have stuck with it had it grouped as well as .018 ticking.

Yep, I too, am sold on coning a barrel for a RB shooter. Hoping to come the barrel of my .54 GPR soon. No more silly short starters.
I've been thinking alot about coning a couple of mine, seems everyone that has done it really likes it.

I couldnā€™t find any .018 ticking in my stuff. But the .015 shot as well as the .020 so Iā€™m good to go.

Glad to hear it went well and you are ready to go. I have a powder delivery with some Swiss 3F currently tracking to arrive Friday. I should be hitting the woods shortly thereafter!!

Back