• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, me Emery, and ETipp, now, my Crockett has arrived, tell me guys, cleaning acudderments, and where to get it
32 cal, Crockett, jag, worm, puller
Patch puller, is there a lot with all
These??? What cleaning patch size
For the 32 cal?? And you guys favorite, patch, ball, and powder do
Recommend? I have swiss 2f,3f
10 15 20 thou patches on hand need
A good place to start, on the jag
Subject, y'all like button jags or the
Longer jags, and if you might Kno
The thread size of the factory ram rod, and if I haven't ask enought already, the nipple size on this
Crockett? Still in the box, I only
Got it out, and handled it, need to shoot it before I have a spell.
10, I recommend cleaning patches be no larger than 1" square unless they are made from thin material. I cut my own from old Tee shirts and obviously the thicknesses can vary. Regardless, you will be doing yourself a favor by not going much larger than 1" square. Certainly 1.25" square maximum.

To expound on a few things already mentioned by others, your Crockett will most likely do very well with 20.0 grains of 3F. I do not recommend trying 2F. My personal favorite is Swiss as it has proven to foul less.

As others have tried, a .015 shooting patch lubed with TOTW Mink Oil will work and makes the loading process easier. I was having eye issues but to the best of my testing, .018" ticking proved to be a bit more accurate. When the patches are cut to the optimum size, I have found that when lubed with TOTW Mink Oil, that I can, and sometimes do, load as much as 4 times and was still not difficult to seat the ball with .018", although there is no doubt that overall, .015" is easier to load.

Personally, I purchase my ticking from October Country now. The last batch I ordered is very tight-weaved. I order it in the bulk and cut patches from that on a boring day.

I do use .310 swaged RB produced by Hornady.

In terms of hunting or test shooting, I much prefer to run a damp cleaning patch with Windex on it between shots, followed by one or two dry patches. This helps facilitate the reloading process as well as perhaps accuracy. However, I have found that one of the best attributes of doing so is the fact that my Crockett's are not very dirty at the end of the day. Very little crud comes out during the cleaning process. l'm fairly certain the Swiss powder helps with this. I have shot as many as 20 times one day while testing and by running moist cleaning patches down the bore after each shot, the ML was still not very dirty at the end of the day. In the woods while squirrel hunting (which is the real meat and taters) I will sometimes go as much as 3 shots without swabbing, depending on the situation at the time. If no more squirrels are seen, then the bore gets swabbed out. I have screwed myself several times by trying to swab the bore after I shot a squirrel, only to find one or two more that presented me with perfect, close shots, yet there I was with a half cleaned rifle.

One other thing is, I keep the jag on the end of the ramrod. Yes, it can be a bit of a pain but not nearly as much as having to fiddle around with trying to find the jag (or dropping it) while out in the woods. Due to the smaller diameter barrel, as well as the jag being in the way, I find it easier to remove the ramrod before I even begin to reload.

In addition, and you may already be aware of this, is a loading block really pays off big time during a squirrel hunt. Faster, easier, and less movement. Much easier to load up the block while at home sitting at a table than to try to fiddle with those small .310 RB out in the woods. This is painfully apparent with cold and/or numb fingers. I know carry 2 loaded up loading blocks on each hunt.

Coning the barrel will help tremendously with a Crockett.

Last but certainly not least, you will be well served by getting rid of the very poor excuse for a ramrod that comes with the Crockett rifles. Wooden blanks and fittings can be had from TOTW. I sanded mine down to where it is a little snug going down the barrel. A brass ramrod might prove to be better yet. I have one for each Crockett and they can really help with a load that is not playing nice.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Well, you poor thing, what with being sent out by the wife to do more hunting. 🤣

My wife wonders how I can spend so much time preparing to hunt and hunting. She's not opposed, just doesn't get it.

Not complaining. I often wonder how she has put up with me for 55 years 🤔
Ha ha. My-Ex wife didn't want me to go hunting but wanted me to bring home deer meat every year. Thus my Ex-wife. I never was one to bring home roadkill.

In terms of a wife not understanding the prep issue, I found a way to get around that one. Its called "over-educate them". Its an easy process actually. All that is required is every time you get in close proximity of her, start throwing out some rapid-fire technical information. You know, patch thicknesses, different patch materials, the history of black powder, the importance of proper patch lube, FPS of projectile when compared to the ballistic coefficient, wind drift formulas, pure lead as opposed to impurities in the lead, round ball V.s. conical at extended distances, the necessity of the proper size cleaning jag, stopping power of certain calibers, charges of powder that are weighed as opposed to volume, things like that. Now remember this one small, but very important detail. Whenever she cannot take any more of the quality, but free, education, and decides to walk away from the conversation, that's when it's time to follow her around and keep at it for a while, even if it means turning up the volume and intensity a little.

After one or two doses of that, I guarantee she will no longer be interested in all the prep us guys go through. Works like a charm. :)

Last edited:
Ha ha. My-Ex wife didn't want me to go hunting but wanted me to bring home deer meat every year. Thus my Ex-wife. I never was one to bring home roadkill.

In terms of a wife not understanding the prep issue, I found a way to get around that one. Its called "over-educate them". Its an easy process actually. All that is required is every time you get in close proximity of her, start throwing out some rapid-fire technical information. You know, patch thicknesses, different patch materials, the history of black powder, the importance of proper patch lube, FPS of projectile when compared to the ballistic coefficient, wind drift formulas, pure lead as opposed to impurities in the lead, round ball V.s. conical at further distances, the necessity of the proper size cleaning jag, stopping power of certain calibers, charges of powder that are weighed as opposed to volume, things like that. Now remember this one small, but very important detail. When she cannot take any more of the quality, but free, education, and decides to walk away from the conversation, that's when it's time to follow her around and keep at it for a while, even if it means turning up the volume and intensity a little.

After one or two doses of that, I guarantee she will no longer be interested in all the prep us guys go through. Works like a charm. :)
That's good Ed.
Myrtle is aware of all the information you listed. She may not fully understand it. In the she's OK, OK, I get it. Good luck on your hunt Fred, be careful.

Heck yeah buddy 👍 I'm a bit north of you. I'm going to skip Saturday, I only hunt game lands, and they get kinda small when the lead starts flying. I'm going to greet the sun on Monday. Best of luck! Be safe.
Got my doe Saturday

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    3.5 MB
One other thing is, I keep the jag on the end of the ramrod. Yes, it can be a bit of a pain but not nearly as much as having to fiddle around with trying to find the jag (or dropping it) while out in the woods. Due to the smaller diameter barrel, as well as the jag being in the way, I find it easier to remove the ramrod before I even begin to reload.

I do the exact same thing with my .32 and .36. I only carry one loading block right now but maybe I should get another. I pack along another dozen balls and patches and reload the block when it's emptied. If I get six shots in a hunt, I'm either doing well or not so much :)

Well fellas, after a video Dr. Appointment just a bit ago, an imminent neck/spine surgery is in my pipeline. Not sure what the recovery time will be, but after we lay my MIL to rest I'm going to be a hunting fool while I can. Going to hopefully hold it off until after my annual deer camp trip. I still want to shoot a squirrel or 10 with that 36 Flinter. I plan on taking a page from Ed's playbook, take it as at comes, but keep fighting to do the things I enjoy. Probably my own 🤬 fault it's gotten this bad, but by God was it fun getting there!

Well fellas, after a video Dr. Appointment just a bit ago, an imminent neck/spine surgery is in my pipeline. Not sure what the recovery time will be, but after we lay my MIL to rest I'm going to be a hunting fool while I can. Going to hopefully hold it off until after my annual deer camp trip. I still want to shoot a squirrel or 10 with that 36 Flinter. I plan on taking a page from Ed's playbook, take it as at comes, but keep fighting to do the things I enjoy. Probably my own 🤬 fault it's gotten this bad, but by God was it fun getting there!
That's sucks.
Hope the best for ya.

Getting old ain't for sissies is it pard?! 🤣 One good thing about being laid up is I can narrow down a caliber for the Woods Runner 🤔
Went over 35 years without seeing a doctor, then into the hospital for 6 days about killed myself with gut problems and infection. Now if I sneeze I figure I got some uncureable disease.
Also joints and tendons are giving me the blues.
What a drag it is getting old.

I do the same but I size the rod so that the jag is even with the muzzle. I sized one the other day for my tc. This one is a brass rod. That way the rod stays on board for the loading procedure and is only pulled to seat the ball. My purpose was to make use of a loading block easier.

20241019_174220_copy_732x494.jpg

Went over 35 years without seeing a doctor, then into the hospital for 6 days about killed myself with gut problems and infection. Now if I sneeze I figure I got some uncureable disease.
Also joints and tendons are giving me the blues.
What a drag it is getting old.
Yep. Agreed. Your not ready for a rocking chair yet my brother from another mother. You have too many rifles and shotguns to build 🤣 Including my 50 caliber Woods Runner. Or perhaps a 54........🤔

Back