• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

209 Shotshell adapter for caplock ML's?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, what really does the musket cap give you, other than a biggere cap for cold fingers... It fits looser and can actually fall off -

All caps can fall off, I too squeeze the musket cap a bit, just in case...

The larger caps can help during low light, over-cast conditions...

Still, I rather use a musket cap than a shotgun primer...

Musketman,

Still, I rather use a musket cap than a shotgun primer...

No argument there - I can not imagne doing all that fumbling to load a cap... I love shooting my traditional guns even though I shoot t7 and sabots - but I do not need 209's to do it.

Howdy,
I have been reading all the rude and insensitive comments to your very logicial and well thought out question. First off, they work! they have a definate advantage when you hunt in the Rain,the mountains, or are on horseback (as I do) they are weatherproof, they don't fall off, and are safer from 1/2 cock position. And being in colorado and hunt At over 8,000ft. routinely,they help ignite HOD.trip7773fff in the thin air!

My advise is to use musket cap ignition for practice and load development, and switch to the 209 nipple widget for hunting.
After all, you are only going to get one shot anyway...

O.B.T.W I do re-enactments/rendevous etc. and would not show up with one there, but there is a DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PLAYING --AN' HUNTIN'!
Keep yer nose in the wind,eyes on the skyline, watch yer topknot, your obiedient servant Etc. yada yada yada...

balfouche :m2c:

Howdy,
I have been reading all the rude and insensitive comments to your very logicial and well thought out question.

[url] whoa....things[/url] said here are all in jest and everyone knows that....please don't make this another[url] huntingPA.com[/url] forum with any commits like that please....that is why i left that forum....especialy a new guy with only a few posts like ya got yourself....i'm sure others feel the same maybe not....not trying to bite ya or nuttin but please keep things in jest....people do repond with what is needed to know....thank you.................bob

P.S....sorry claude just venting but i don't want that here....

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy,
I have been reading all the rude and insensitive comments to your very logicial and well thought out question. First off, they work! they have a definate advantage when you hunt in the Rain,the mountains, or are on horseback (as I do) they are weatherproof, they don't fall off, and are safer from 1/2 cock position. And being in colorado and hunt At over 8,000ft. routinely,they help ignite HOD.trip7773fff in the thin air!

My advise is to use musket cap ignition for practice and load development, and switch to the 209 nipple widget for hunting.
After all, you are only going to get one shot anyway...

O.B.T.W I do re-enactments/rendevous etc. and would not show up with one there, but there is a DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PLAYING --AN' HUNTIN'!
Keep yer nose in the wind,eyes on the skyline, watch yer topknot, your obiedient servant Etc. yada yada yada...

balfouche :m2c:

Balfouche...welcome...a pretty strong post for a new member.

FWIW, I agree with Bob's comment, and will add that maybe some of the repsonses were stirred by the fact that the post about using "modern 209 shotgun primers" would have been a better fit if posted in the "modern category" instead of one that is intended to be traditional.
:winking:

I am new to this forum and forums in general.
Not new to muzzleloading.
I am also of the belief that "if something works for you, who am I to say that it's wrong"?

FWIW, I was not offended in any by the responses and expected the more "Traditional" folks to rally the voice of opposition to the concept of 209 primers and perc ML's. Nor did I think that any of the responses were rude.

I just wanted to know if anyone had used the 209 adapters and what their impression/experience was.

The idea that I should have asked this question in another or "Modern" category does not seem appropriate since I was asking about product experiences as related to sidelock percussion ML's. Granted, the percussion sidelock is an "period" weapon and personally I have no intention of making the percussion sidelock ML anything other than what it is. That said, that is not to say that I would never try or use such a product.
I thought that this forum category was for talking about things related to percussion sidelock ML's?

Plus, I was not aware of any category topic definitions.

If I am incorrect in my understanding and should have posted this question someplace else, than I suppose everyone in the percussion category of this forum is 100% purist. Only items and accessories available during the percussion muzzleloading era?.
No synthetic or substitute powders. No Sabots. No fiber optic sights, scopes, or highly adjustable sights. Only traditional hand made formula cleaning and lube remedies. No commercial BoreButter, Wonderlube or other products from manufacturers.

It's like saying "The only roads available when my car was built were dirt, so I refuse to drive on pavement with my antique car".

My humble apologies if I have posted inappropriately.

It's like saying "The only roads available when my car was built were dirt, so I refuse to drive on pavement with my antique car".

No, it's like putting 19" Yokohama AVS Sport tires & rims on your 1963 Rambler Classic. You'll get laughed out of the antique auto shows AND the race tracks, but it will hold the corners better.

Tahquamenon,

I had to go out to the main menu and look again but it does say:
The discussion of Percussion Weapons only
. It does not say Traditional Shooting only. So your orginal question should be plenty acceptable... I shoot traditional guns a lot and really enjoy them, but i do not shoot them traditionally with a PRB. I think your question fits right in and did create a discussion - even the remarks by the traditionalists of "not necessary" are well with in the discussion even of they do not address your question.

I hope this "PERCUSSION" topic remain "PERCUSSION" - not "Traditional Shooting Only."

Just my thoughts...

Thanks Stumpkiller!
I don't mind being laughed at! :)

Like the guy that laughed at me this past deer season when I went hunting in the rain.

Yep I got soaking wet and was even using one of the dreaded and dastardly in-lines.

I myself am smiling and most thankful on the way to the freezer for another venison roast.

Every few years a product comes along, or, more often re-appears, that promises to revolutionize all muzzleloading firearms forever. That's very nice, I suppose, and some will buy it.

For many of us, the attraction of muzzleloaders is the challenge of an ancient and unmodernized weapon that has to be mastered instead of engineered easier to use. Something that takes some time and talent to get good at.

We don't ask: "What can I buy or design that will improve my accuracy or fill my freezer?" We ask: "What did a guy 220 years ago do to improve his accuracy or fill his meat pole?"

You buy a bolt-on 209 primer assembly, I make a waxed leather cow's knee. We both take a deer with rain dripping off our hat brim and we're both happy.

The difference is I look backward for answers and you look forward. We'll never see eye to eye, we'll just block each other's view.

You won't see me up in a treestand, using a scope, smearing scent lures or blockers ~ even in regular season. That's just not my way. I set my own definition of "Fair Chase" as does every hunter. That's what makes the world go round.

I'd just rather know how to hunt than how to shop. :winking:

I never did say I was either for or against a 209 adapter for a perc ML.

The beauty of opinions is that without the variance of opinion one ends up with the most narrow of mind.

Again, thanks much everyone for all of the input.

I have been watching this thread for a few days and finally thought I would pass this on to anyone who may be "thinking" of using one of these for hunting in Washington state

A couple of years ago, an acquaintance bought five or six "ACCRA-SHOT" thingys which is the same thing you are talking about, only it uses rifle primers.....I guess he got a "hot deal" on eBay, and was trying to sell them at the club for 10 bucks each.

Well, to make a long story short, he got a ticket over in Okanogan county, and lost his rifle, when it was checked by the Game Warden.......The story goes, "the cap is not exposed to the elements", and is therefore illegal in Washington. The ticket cost him $200 and ten hours community service, along with the loss of his rifle.
They may be legal in some states, and I'm told it depends greatly on the officer checking you in Washington, as others have "supposingly" got away with it.

I don't have a clue personally, but I thought I would pass this on.

Russ

Stumpy,
:agree: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :master: :applause: :master: :applause:
well said :imo:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :peace: :)

Blooming right :thumbsup:

We don't have any muzzle loader only season over here, so you couldn't sell a shotgun primed ML in this country for love or money.

Without that season it has no meaning, who would want something half BP, half centre fire?

OTOH, they do sell those tiny cars designed to pick up a tax concession in Japan, but that just goes to prove that there's now't so queer as folk :shocking:

These gimmicks have been around in one form or another for about thirty years. They pop back up every few years like the Ginsu knives on T.V. Only the Ginsu knives will actually cut something.

My Ginsu is twenty something and still cutting, :)

Latest posts

Back