• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F or 3F for a .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudyc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Going to be hunting with a .58 for the first time this fall. Been using 70-80gr of 3F in my .54 for years with great results.

Any opinions about 3F in a .58??

Slow twist barrel with a patched round ball.

I've tried Goex 3F and 2F in 2 .58cal barrels:
(100, 110, and 120grn charges)
GM 32" drop in barrel in a T/C Hawken I had.
Rice 38" barrel in my Early Virginia.

Both granulations worked fine and both were accurate.
But by an ever so slight margin the 2F seemed a hair more accurate.
I like stout charges and 2F doesn't have as sharp of a pressure spike as 3F.
As a result, I settled on 2F for my deer hunting loads.

100, 110, 120grns were all very accurate, here's 120grns / 50 yards / benched:

Based on my experience with my .54 I would start with 2f, however that is a 1:48 twist and the two may not be comparable. Having said that, it would be best to try both and see for yourself which gives you the best accuracy. I have two 50 calibers and I know one does better with 3f but the other I haven't tested yet. Both have slower twist rates.

I'm kinda split right down the middle. With five 58's in the house, it's settled down to two of them preferring 2f and three of them wanting 3f.

I try both and let the rifle decide which is best. If there's a "pattern" to it the longer barrels seem to shoot a little better with the 2f, but it's a close thing like Roundball is reporting.

I will say that with my shortest barrel (24") using 3f definitely cuts the flame and smoke a little, which is a good thing. My hunting pards call that rifle DANG cuzz it's so loud in general.

When I started shooting black powder many many years ago, the "rule of thumb" was 3FFF up to and including .50cal and 2FF for .54 and up. :idunno:

I use 3f in everything, including my 58 Chambers Lancaster and 24 ga NW Gun. I prime from the horn, and the 3f works great.

Whoeee! That is some fine shooting! :thumbsup: Ain't a thing wrong with what you are feeding that gun.

Back