• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F vs 3F for shot loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the UK we mainly use dram measure which 1 drm equals 27.5 grains .I personally always use a volume load which for a 12 bore is 2.3/4 drms of powder equals 1.1/8 oz of shot. Has for powder we have coarse , medium , and fine.
Feltwad

All measurements are suspect to me. Volume vs weight. Wake up one or the other is what is true. I vote weight.

However as a former competition shooter using the non super sensitive BLACK POWDER I used the volume method with a brass measure with marks.

For 50 yard bench or buff targets I used 90 grain mark.

For the 100 yard target same I used the 100 grain mark and 68 up clicks on the sight.

At the 200 yard target I used 120 grain mark and all the up clicks on the sight from the 100 yard zero.

At the 300 yard bench at FT TY I also used the same measure with two targets at that range the top was for aiming and the bottom for impact. I was happy to get 5 hits on paper with the RB then sometimes I lucked out and got 3-4 in the black and placed getting a medal.

The same MEASURE was used for more than a decade and I never used a scale to see what the lines actualy meant. Consistancy is what counted.

nhmoose said:
The same MEASURE was used for more than a decade and I never used a scale to see what the lines actualy meant. Consistancy is what counted.
That's the proper way to understand measuring black powder. Unless the error is enough to be dangerous, it doesn't really matter what the actual charge is, so long as it is accurate and the same from shot to shot.

Spence

The drm measure on a volume load which I quoted was for a shot load in a smoothbore gun not a rifle. enclosed are the volume loads that I mainly use.
2.1/2drms throws 1oz shot
2.3/4drms " 1.1/8oz shot
3.drms " 1.1/4oz shot
3.1/4drms " 1.3/8oz shot
3.1/2drms " 1.1/2oz shot

Feltwad

Feltwad said:
Here in the UK we mainly use dram measure which 1 drm equals 27.5 grains.
Our smokeless shotshells have always been labeled in drams equivalent. That means the amount of smokeless powder in them will produce the velocity/power equivalent to that many drams of black powder. They will be marked something like this....2 1/2 7/8 8, or 2 1/2 drams equivalent of powder, 7/8 oz. of shot, size #8 American.

I never see any black powder shooters here mention drams, these days, we mostly think in terms of total grains of powder.

Spence

Here in the UK it is the other way round for smokeless powder it is grains for black powder pistol and rifle it is both drams and grains but for shotgun it is drams. This maybe because shotgun shooters use a powder flask with the measure which they transfer to a measure before pouring.
Feltwad

The 19th Century way was drams to ounces when using those adjustable powder/shot measures.

I have several and they start out with 2-1/2 drams of powder as being equal to 1 ounce of shot. 3 drams is equal to 1-1/4 ounce of shot and 3-1/2 drams the same as 1-1/2 ounces of shot.

I like the idea of slower burning powder for my worn out shoulder. Weather permitting, will burn some Olde Eynsford 1-1/2 F and 2 F through the 13 gauge double this week or next.

These are volume loads but are more for cartridge loading than muzzle loading .
Feltwad

Back