• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F vs 3F in the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I usually shoot 80grains of 2F in the barrel of my 50cal flinter but a friend of mine gave me a can of 3f the other day...

do you guys find 3F more accurate than 2F down the tube?

Not more accurate in my .54 but it does burn cleaner and leaves less fouling...Try it, you might like it...Might want to cut your powder charge 10-15 grs as it should give a higher velocity if used in equal quantities...

I've used each in my .54 flinter and they both work fine. If I had to choose only one I guess I'd go with 3F. However, since I have a supply of 2F at this time I'm using it. The deer don't seem to know the difference. :wink:
And yes, you may want to reduce your charge a bit using the 3F, 10% or so.

Improvements in accuracy all depends on the gun.

Some will show real improvements and some will shoot worse.

By switching powders, it puts you back at the starting place because the gun will shoot differently.
That makes it necessary to go thru the process of finding the most accurate powder load.

If your gun is like most, you will end up using a slightly smaller powder load with the 3Fg powder.

My .50 caliber Long Rifle flinter (1:66 twist) shoots very accurately, usually one enlarged hole maybe 1 to 1½ inches in diameter, sometimes with one "flyer" close-by, but outside the 5-shot group which is probably caused by my sighting inability.

My "target" load is 47 grains of Swiss FFFg @ 50 yards off the bench for paper punching.

My two .50 caliber older CVA cap-lock Hawken rifles (1:48 twist) "like" the 47 grain load as well, but aren't quite as accurate as my flintlock.

Make GOOD smoke... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

To what Zonie said, you really are starting from square one when you switch powders. You have to work it up all over again. I tried 3F in my .50 and it wouldn't even hit the paper at 75yds. Just before that, I was getting 2in groups with 70gr of 2F.

Didn't noticeably improve my accuracy on my rifles, but it does burn a little cleaner and I use about 10 less grains of my BP load using 3F than I would with 2F.
I haven't tried 2F in my smoothbore yet, so that will be next experiment. :thumbsup:

My 42" Green Mountain barrel in .54 is equally accurate with 2f or 3f. As others have stated, it takes 10-15% more 2f to get same POI, and 3f is cleaner/less fouling. Here's the loads I use:

offhand target practice - 50 grains 3f

deer/hog hunting load - 85 grains 2f

wattlebuster said:
Your gun will let you know what it wants to shoot :hatsoff:

We have two .54 rifles around here that we shoot often. One of them insists on FFFg. The other insists on FFg. Both shoot exceptionally well with their respective powders but fling balls around randomly if using the wrong powder.

I'm in the same boat; bought 3 lbs of 2ff and on of 4ffff. I'll use it cuz I have it, but I am really liking what I am reading on using 3fff for both charge and priming.
10 to 15 gr lighter according to the markings on a 2ff based measure? wld the switch to 3fff really make that much of a boost to the MV? Wld this have a negative result on paper or hunting, or just an unneeded waste of powder?

I am about to order powder so this is a timely topic.

Based on what I read above I am guessing 60 grains of 3F will be fine for paper punching learning to shoot a flinter?

Switching from 2Fg to 3Fg powder will increase the velocity a bit for any fixed powder load but, IMO, the main reason for using the common "reduce the powder load about 10 grains" is because of the breech pressures.

In a .50 caliber rifle shooting a patched .490 diameter ball a 80 grain load of GOEX 2Fg powder created a breech pressure of 8,500 psi in Lyman's test barrel.
A 80 grain load of GOEX 3Fg powder in the same barrel created a breech pressure of 10,900 psi.

The gain in velocity between these two loads was 1739-1694= 45 feet per second.

Because of the speed the powder burns at it's more complicated than just saying the velocity change can change the way a gun will shoot but one thing is pretty certain. Changing powders will have an effect. It might shoot better or it might shoot worse.

I find it handy to be able to use the same powder for both priming and the main load though so my nod goes towards the 3Fg powder.

I have tried it and I have not gotten FFF to shoot as accurately as FF in my rifles 50 0r larger. There may come a time to try it again but for now I am good! Geo. T.

i agree with the consensus- you will have to work up the most accurate load for each granulation and see which powder works best in this particular rifle.

avoid the 'conventional wisdon' -it's often a good starting point, but you shouldn't rely on it as gospel- see what works best for you.

make good smoke!

I agree with everything zonie said. I have shot FFFg in my .54. It shoots good, but FFg is a bit more accurate. Each rifle is different, so give it a go. If it works for you there are some benefits. You'll use less powder and you can also use FFFg for prime. Good luck.

Like Cowpoke said all rifles are different. My .54 hunting rifle shoots 3F (same load) 1" higher at 75 yards than 2F the accuracy is the same.

all things bein equal; what about using 2FF for both seein's how I'm in the great north wet any who and 4FFFF is just plain silly ( aka frustratingly hydroscopic) In Oregon during roughly 9 months of the year? I've heard it said it's possible. But, possible and good rarely walk the same trail...

Unburned black is NOT hygroscopic; it's the condensation of moisture on the steel of the pan that makes wetness. If the gun has been fired then the FOULING does suck up moisture. Solution: wipe the pan clean and dry and check often.

Back