• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 or 4 barrel underlugs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a Bedford rifle, and was trying to decide whether to go with 3 or 4 barrel lugs. Many of the originals look like they have 4, but that seems to me to be kind of overkill if you go through the breech lug with the forward lock bolt. I decided to go with 4 to be consistent with the majority of the originals, but wouldn't 3 work just as well? Are 4 really necessary?

I use both depending on barrel length mostly. Barrels 40" and less get 3, although I just finished a Wilson's Chiefs Gun with a 48" barrel and only used 3 lugs as did one of the originals I examined.

Regards, Dave

do 4 tenons. I have done 5! Too much distance between the tenons allows the stock to pull away from the barrel too easily. On a 42" barrel, 3 tenons are NOT enough in my opinion. ALSO, when using only 3 tenons, that middle tenon can interfere with the middle rod pipe. With 4 you'll never have that problem.

That is true, I have a buddy that has an original Jeager, (it's in France, so I have not checked it out) that only used 2 underlugs and now
he claims that you can store Milk Duds under the barrel within the forend. :haha: :(

Use four. I just did mine with three and it was probably a mistake . The wood flexes away from the barrel very easily.

I would go with 4.
The Bedford is very thin all over, especially in the forend which makes it rather flimsy.
The 4 underlugs help to keep it tight to the barrel.

Latest posts

Back