• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3" snow for the Wisconsin gun deer opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,
Thanks for posting your data. You put a lot more stuff in your barrel than I do. :shocked2:

My .58 gets a cast .565" in .025" cotton duck cloth lubed with mink oil from TOTW over BP. I've tried Hornady swaged .570" RBs, but don't think them to group any better.

I'm gonna take a FL along for Pa's rifle opener, but won't hunt with it in the rain...may not hunt in the rain at all. :cursing: Its been a while since we had snow for the first day, but this might be the year.

SMO .Thanks...As a dad it's really neat when the hunting batton gets passed..Their Gramps would be proud of them.

This season will have both boys there to join in...I can not wait!
My goal is to enjoy their company and make things happen in their direction.

I'm good for a couple hours on stand..other wise I do the deer hunter shuffle...25 mph nw wind predicted 3" in fresh snow...perfect for someone with ants in their pants and room to roam.

Im due to shoot a nice one by the law of averages...but I have shot my share and would rather see the younger hunters get a crack at one.

I'm a bow hunter at heart and the flintlock just extends the range.
Will send a report next week.....dan

At the time of the load testing 2-2010 I thought I needed an over shot card between the op card and the powder..worried about lube on powder.(overthinking... guilty as charged)
Have since gone with just the 1/8" op card.
This shrinks my groups and increases the speed of the rb at 15 ft from the muzzle.
Tried the mink oil and it change the poi to where I was not satisfied with the groupings....These rifles can be finicky for sure.
I use a rain fly when wet.
Happy hunting in the Pa. season.Hope its a good one!

excess650 said:
THAT sounds like a wonderful idea. I grew up hunting in Pennsylvania's post Thanksgiving deer season, and cannot imagine how I endured that cold when I was younger. The clothes we wore weren't fit for such, and I recall days when I could barely walk or talk from being soooo cold after sitting patiently for hours. NO MORE! I still don't subscribe to the box stand with heater method, but won't stay put until hypothermia sets in.

I remember those days in PA as a kid...long johns (useless) jeans, flannel shirt and a thin wool coat, uninsulated boots, freezing to death. Good times, good times...

Hierophant said:
I remember those days in PA as a kid...long johns (useless) jeans, flannel shirt and a thin wool coat, uninsulated boots, freezing to death. Good times, good times...

Cotton long johns, maybe corduroys, wool coat, wool socks, and insulated boots! LOL...still froze!

I LIKE the mink oil in that it doesn't migrate into the powder or freeze. It also "moisture proofs" the patch and bore. I've been satisfied with my group sizes, and find that TOTW mink oil will allow a patch to survive firing when other lubes will allow the patch to burn or be shredded. My patches almost always look like they could be shot again with no worries.

I am very excited to get out for an opener like I remember as a kid. Wool, wool, and more wool is always good and I like my moosehide oversized mocs for cold winter days (thick wool liners and socks knitted by my wife).

I have a new NW gun that needs breaking in. It is shooting NICE and straight and I think it is time to get some more meat in the freezer!

I remember all the cool new stuff coming out to keep you "toasty" while hunting. All high tec stuff, super light, super warm, super $$$$.

The best buck I ever took is a Colorado 5x5 so :hmm: 12 point back east.

5th day in camp, 3rd day of sleet everything in camp was wet/damp/soaked. No one even hunted that afternoon.... no one but me in my wool bib overalls :grin:. I should of sent a roast to Woolrich, they had as much to do with my success as I did.

We are expecting rain tonight and then maybe 1.5" snow by friday morning in Sheboygan county. Sat. looks like maybe adding a dusting by opening.

Good Luck and keep safe.

report #1 Fri pm.
Stands set..a sunny 20 degrees at sunset..we have clear skies ahead..
Lots of fresh track in the snow from last night.
Anticipation running high.... :grin:
Wool bibs,rag wool sweater,knit cap..blaze orange cotton shell.Leather shooting bag...
Lots of goodies,! large thermos of hot fluids.
Oh the joy!

makeumsmoke said:
report #1 Fri pm.
Stands set..a sunny 20 degrees at sunset..we have clear skies ahead..
Lots of fresh track in the snow from last night.
Anticipation running high.... :grin:
Wool bibs,rag wool sweater,knit cap..blaze orange cotton shell.Leather shooting bag...
Lots of goodies,! large thermos of hot fluids.
Oh the joy!

Well???? :confused:

Not sure how the deer hunters did today, but I do know it was COLD!!! High wind and about 15 degrees...below zero wind chills. I put about 10 gallons of gas in some cans and my fingers were literally losing feeling in the few minutes it took! Anyone out there today that gets something has earned it big time! Colder tomorrow morning...low single digits regular air temp!

Spikebuck said:
Not sure how the deer hunters did today, but I do know it was COLD!!!
You got that right!
That first blast we get that goes under 20 is the deal breaker!!

Funny thing is in a month 20 will be T-shirt weather.

Spikebuck said:
Not sure how the deer hunters did today, but I do know it was COLD!!! High wind and about 15 degrees...below zero wind chills. I put about 10 gallons of gas in some cans and my fingers were literally losing feeling in the few minutes it took! Anyone out there today that gets something has earned it big time! Colder tomorrow morning...low single digits regular air temp!

Well then, no worries about the flashpan powder drawing damp. :haha:

I DO NOT like being out in that kind of temperature. Its OK if you're moving, but anything exposed gets cold fast.

It's 16 here this morning in S. Il. and muzzleloader season, but it's too cold for me and my blood thinners. I couldn't bone out a deer for packing out if I did get lucky...fingers would go numb. Don't think it's suppose to get above freezing all wk.

Dan, guessing you are out there right now. Boy, I hope you and your party put meat on the ground right off, so you can get them all dressed, cooled and hanging, then sit around your cabin eating your Mom's oatmeal raisin walnut spice 1/4lbs by the fire.
Fellas, I am here to testify that Makeumsmoke knows how to live right!

It was 20*F and wind blowing here this morning in south central Pa. I visited the guys at the range for about an hour and had enough. The guys shooting MLers weren't real enthusiastic :surrender: ...

Hoyt said:
It's 16 here this morning in S. Il. and muzzleloader season, but it's too cold for me and my blood thinners. I couldn't bone out a deer for packing out if I did get lucky...fingers would go numb. Don't think it's suppose to get above freezing all wk.
And the bad news is some of that is leaking all the way down here to North Carolina...LOL
Was planning to try some squirrels at first light in the morning.
There may be a real fight between the electric blanket and 18* at 4:30am

Back