• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 -36 -40 or maybe even 45?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondackman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for some input on small game caliber recommendations. I enjoy hunting deer so much with my smokepoles that I would like to lengthen the fun and start hunting small game with the smokepole. I would be hunting mostly rabbits,squirrels, and occasionaly coyotes. Which cal. do you recommend and why. I was thinking about the 40 - 45 because they could double as a deer gun also. What do you guys think?

I've got 32's and 36's, and they're dandy for what you want to do. Add deer to the list, and I'd probably go for the 45. That's mostly because I don't have one. I frequently use reduced loads in 50, 54 and 58 cals for small game hunting, so the double-use concept is old turf for me. I know some folks have used the 40 for deer and that's fine. But with other larger calibers in the house I wouldn't do it. I'd have no qualms about a 45 though. My cup of soup, and you'll have to brew your own in the final analysis.

I went through the same decision. I ended up getting a 40 cal. I absolutely love the rifle But I know I will end up with a 32 and a 45. Which ever decision you go with there will be times when you wish otherwise. I think there is a 36 cal ballet which will also give you the same weight as a 40. So you could shoot 36 cal P&B for small game and 36 cal ballet for deer. Just to make things more complicated. Also someone will quickly remind you to check your state hunting regulations regarding the minimum cal for deer.
My last word. 32 and 45. Which one first? Now that is a tough question. Which ever one you get a good deal on first.

PJC

I have a 36 cal a 45 and a 50 cal. My favorite is the 45cal. Partly because I built it but it is also very versitile. This will be my first year with it deer hunting but I've already got several squirrels with it. I like my 36 but I just haven't spent enough time with it to be real comfortable. I don't know how true it is but I've heard that the 32 cals have a habit of fouling real bad but I would suspect that would be from to much powder and not having complete burning of the powder.

I like the .40 or the .45, I am building a .45 for me. Here in GA its legal for deer and you can use it for small game too.

I have 32,36,and 45.The 32 is SUPER on small game.The 45 is more for deer size.The 36 is way over kill on small game and is more for turkey and up.Some day I'll get a 40!

I would be hunting mostly rabbits,squirrels, and occasionaly coyotes. Which cal. do you recommend and why. I was thinking about the 40 - 45 because they could double as a deer gun also. What do you guys think?[/quote]

I have a 40 rifled for prb it has dropped all the game you mention (including deer) and also turkey. Great caliber for competition as well. If you decide to make it double as deer gun as well go with one twisted for conicals (and check your game laws).

PS have no hands on with a 45 but I bet it can fill the bill nicely.

IMHO smoke poling coyotes is my kind of hunting.

The .32 is perfect for squirrels and bunnies, perhaps a bit light for coyotes but should do the job at close ranges with well placed shots.

The .36 is, in my opinion, the perfect small game rifle. A bit more oomph for coyotes, and shoots .350 Hornady 000 buckshot which can be purchased in 5 lb boxes lots cheaper than round balls per 100. :thumbsup:

I've never owned or shot a .40 so have no opinion worth a hoot.

I do own a .45 Juker project rifle, but have not shot it yet.

I also own .50, .54, and .58 rifles and .56, .62 and 12 gauge smooth bores. So you should get the .40 and then send it to me for testing. :grin: Or just get one of each...

Seriously, I am assuming you already own at least one .50 or larger rifle for deer hunting, so I would go with the .36 for small game.

I'd go a .32 or .36...You already have a deer gun it sounds like....Its "OK" to specialize :wink:

Thanks for the input. I have narrowed it down to the .36 or .40 only because I do like to Preadator hunt and plan to take head shots on small game. I do most of my deer hunting with a .54 and wouldn't change that. Now I need to figure out what gun to buy. Too many choices.

Back