• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 caliber dilemma...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all, I'm needing help with spending money! Wanting a dedicated .32 caliber for small game, mainly squirrel. Problem is selection! Currently don't have the time to devote towards a dedicated build so I'm leaning towards a in the white tennessee poor boy from TVM or a cheaper option, Traditions crockett kit. Drastic price difference between the two... what do you all think? Or maybe have another option?

I'm leaning towards the crockett as well... main reason, the cost. I've heard great things about the crockett rifle from other owners which makes the purchase easier. I'd love to invest into a TVM, but with three other builds going on I get a little over my head! :grin:

Get the Crockett and spend the difference between it and the TVM on powder and balls.

When I was your age money was tighter, time was tighter and responsibilities were greater - so get the best "bang for your buck" (and more bang if you can afford more powder).

When you get older (and a little more senile), such as myself, then you can "indulge". Now I have things I WANT for no other reason than I want them.

But I'm glad that I had a Lyman Trade rifle back when which sat in the locker with my $89 single shot shotgun - I could afford both and they were well used.

I'm going to lean t'other way, having owned and worked with both. I say go with the TVM because you're going to be lots more satisfied in the end- better gun by miles with better fit, better parts, better performance and better service.

Traditions work, don't get me wrong. But you're likely to be looking for a replacement before long and you'll never get all your money back out of the Crockett.

-Specifically the Crockett has a goofy "chamber" back against the breech face, and if you don't do things just right you'll jam a cleaning patch down there.

-There are enough glitches in the finish of the Crockett, you'll end up refinishing sooner or later. Specifically, the balance point of the Crockett for carry is right at the rear sight, and right at the wedge key. Both the horns of the sight and the tip of the wedge key are so sharp, you'll end up rounding a bit and refinishing.

-I've had no ends of problems with two Crockett locks, but no one makes a replacement. You're stuck with it. Both mine have started eating main springs after a some wear, to the point that I was buying main springs three at a time.

-Lots of lock wear in a couple thousand shots.

-Traditions don't (maybe that's changed, but I gave up) answer emails, even if they have a place on their site for emails and questions. I sent them emails about the lock issues for over two months and never got a single response. Why have a setup for emails if they're not going to use it? Phone calls resulted in an offer to sell me a replacement lock (right at $100 if I recall correctly), but no warranty replacement. Turns out the springs were breaking due to poor lock inletting in the stock, but stuff it for warranty.

TVM in-the-white?

-Good parts

-Good fit into the stock

-Very responsive to questions

-Great service

If you regard the Crockett as an in-the-white gun and do some work, yeah, you can come out okay. If you get one that's built right in the first place, you won't have bad issues to deal with. But if things aren't right, you may have your work cut out for you. Then there's that goofy "chamber" arrangement to contend with at all times.

Another alternative for you to contemplate is Tip Curtis. I haven't dealt with him, but I continue to hear great things about his in-the-white guns. He apparently doesn't have a web site, but is great to deal with on the phone. Contact # is in the resource section here on the site.

BTW- The Crockett is percussion only.

Absolutely! I couldn't resist, I'd figure that's as good as she gets without building one right now. Never owned a Pedersoli so I'm anxious about getting a good load worked up.

X10 Brown Bear. I've been thru dozens of less expensive "compromise" guns. Was always looking to upgrade TCs, CVAs, Hatfield and so forth. Still enjoying my quality investments.

TC

Crewdawg445 said:
Not doing either now, found a like new Pedersoli .32 scout carbine for $400.00. Happy as a pig in mudd!

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky flint in .32. I think you will like it.
Mine likes 2F even

William Alexander

All, I do regret to inform she isn't a flinter, but a percussion model... However, this just leaves me room to build my .32 rock lock :hmm: It would have been nice to have it in a flint though as I don't have anything under .45 that wears a flintlock.

I also have a Pedersoli Kentucky percussion in .45
The locks do interchange, not hard to make the change some time

:)
Alexander

Hey ! Congrats on finding a Scout at a great price !!!! I have one and could not be Happier !
I found a new old stock flintlock for it so now I can shoot as a capper or rocklock.....LOVE IT !

While getting the TVM (got one) flinter in .32 is the best choice of all, the Pedersoli are in another class compared to the Crockett. Nothing wrong with the Crockett, mind you, but the Pedersoli is about as good as you'll get in a production gun. Also, you can get a separate flint lock from them and it's a drop-in part - been there; done that.

Crewdawg445 said:
Not doing either now, found a like new Pedersoli .32 scout carbine for $400.00. Happy as a pig in mudd!

Before I got to this post I was thinking that you should be looking into a Pedersoli. I've had the Crockett and Pedersoli (frontier) and to me, there's no comparison...Pedersoli hands down. :thumbsup:

I've heard great things about the crockett, however owning one traditions rifle is enough for me. I've put a decent amount of time making it a very reliable and accurate rifle, yet I don't want to dedicate that much time again to a traditions rife! I'm VERY excited about the scout, should be a great addition to the collection.

Dunno about your own Scout, but if you're feeling handy Pedersoli's profit from a refinish in my book, whether wood or metal. Or at least they just look better to me with oil finish rather than varnish, brown rather than blue. No dirt on the mechanics or accuracy, but I just like their looks better after a trip to the refinish doctor.

Well, crud . . . wish I could find a $400 Scout . . I've been all over the map on this. I have owned a Crockett for 4 years. Great gun except for one small problem. I can't get the dang thing to group smaller than a softball no matter the patch, ball or powder combo . . . I even sent it back to Traditions, they tested it and said it was fine . .sent me back a target that was worse than what I was able to do . . . I want to hunt squirrels, not wound them.

I guess in CT they have squirrels around the Traditions plant with heads the size of grapefruit, but in Indiana they are still the size of golf balls.

I am not sure what to do. I was leaning toward a Pedersoli kit . . . like the Scout .32 (flint of course) . . . but I've read where some have grouping problems with Pedersoli .32's too . .So, then I began to wonder about TVM's late lancaster kit in .32 . . .It's priced close to the Pedersoli kit, and has a Rice barrel, but much more involved and labor intensive . . . I don't need a new hobby or addiction like gun building, and I don't want to drop $700 on a kit that I screw up or get frustrated with . . . so I am looking at an "in the white" TVM . . . but I may need to sell one of my children in order to pay for it at $1,150. I spent several hours on their site and web researching TVM and they have a good reputation. . . emailed some questions to them and they got right back to me.

Not sure what to do . . . well, I still have my Lyman LH GPR flinter in .50 - love that one !!

I have had very good experiences with TVM each time I did business with them. Very good service and a very good product. I am currently building a TN kit from them, and the quality of the parts are really good and it is going together without a hitch. Not to mention it was almost 400 dollars cheaper than an in the white gun. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Back