• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 caliber dilemma...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grenadier1758 said:
From what you are saying about patches and jags getting stuck at the breech, there is some sort of irregularity at the breech that is ruining the integrity of your patch and preventing the patch and ball from engaging the rifling.

Actually it's standard on the Crockett, with an interior gap between the breech face and the rear of the barrel. It's nasty for grabbing cleaning patches and forces you to be real particular in their size- basically the smallest that your cleaning jag will grab.

As for affecting shooting patches, I never saw it. The patched ball evidently rides just high enough to avoid it, even with charges as light as 10 grains.

Brown Bear is right . . . many, perhaps most Crockett's do this from what I have read. . . and yet they seem to be very accurate for most folks.

Hey Hanshi . . . I read somewhere, from a 2009 post that you have a TVM late Lancaster in .45 I think, w a 36 inch barrel for deer and it is one of your favorites. . . I am thinking of this in .32 or 36 w that barrel size for squirrel hunting. . if I dump the Crockett. But I haven't seen any pics of one with that size barrel. How's it look? Got any pics? Micah

I've hunted allot of squirrel, personally I have found even with a .36 caliber depending upon the location you hit the squirrel, you can cause a lot of damage to their little body leaving allot of unusable meat if you haven't hit the head. Bettering your shooting skills is an obvious solution, one which I myself continually progress with. Yet, we all know squirrel don't always give us the best shot locations. Now, this alone is one reason I'm stepping down to a .32 caliber.

Crewdawg . . . I have a book on ML hunting (Brown authored by Toby Bridges . . whoever he is) . . and he says the same thing. . . though he used 36 a lot on squirrels, he prefers the .32 for exactly the reasons you cite. . . it was written a while back when T/C Seneca's and Cherokee's were the off the shelf choice of squirrel hunters . .those things are REALLY expensive now . . . perhaps overpriced.

The "little" .32 and .36 rifles produce a LOT of velocity with very little powder.

The lightest powder loads my Lyman "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL", 2nd ed shows is a 30 grain, 3Fg powder load for both calibers.

That 30 grain powder load produces a velocity of around 1940 fps for the .32 and 1684 fps for the .36.

Comparing these velocities with a .22 rimfire, the .32 is 69 percent faster and the .36 is 47 percent faster than a 40 grain standard velocity .22's 1145 fps.

The .32 is 51 percent faster and the .36 is 32 percent faster than the 40 grain solid bullet "high speed" .22's 1285 fps.

Even the 36 grain high speed hollow point with its 1315 fps looses out to the .32 and .36 in the velocity department.

Like I said, the Lyman book only goes down to a 30 grain powder load but I did some extrapolating with my handy-dandy HP calculator and found that by using 11 grains in the .36 will drop the velocity to around 1200 fps but 11 grains of powder will still be pushing the little .32's to over 1500 fps.

I mention all of this because as many of you know, you can shoot a old fashioned (read, before paper thin aluminum) full pop can with a standard velocity .22 and it bulges the can as it passes thru. A high velocity solid will split the can and a high speed hollow point will blow it apart.

Same goes for squirrels. Lower velocity equals the squirrel is just as dead but it is not "instant cleaned".

Just something to think about if you want to try something besides head shots.

Here's a picture of it, and it is my favorite.

I like that slightly shorter barrel and it makes for a handy, easy to shoot rifle.

Oh now I hate it when you get jealous! :grin: beautiful rifle, I'm in the process of building my little .36 for rabbit. 33.5" barrel, calling it my mini tennessee poor boy as she is being built off a grade 2 tennessee style stock.

Rabbit season is going to sneak up on you. At least i know it always does for me when im working on something new.

us here in AZ...we lucky. bunnies can be hunted 365! :grin: However per me poor ol pops advice I only hunt em when it's cold out. Jack rabbits I shoot all the time and feed em to the happy pooches.

You can hunt em year round down here too. But oddly enough, I don't see many at all.

Latest posts

Back