• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunyan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm far from getting one, but have been hankering for a .32 flinter. I know they're great on squirrel and rabbit, but what about groundhogs? Turkeys? Those are the critters I'd most likely chase with a smaller caliber. I've got a .50 for farther shots on groundhogs and bigger game. I've read on here where .32s are marginal on coyotes, but I don't see myself chasing them anytime soon. So will a .32 do the job on the critters I'd probably chase or would I have to "settle" on a .36?

I would hunt groundhogs with a .32. I'd feel better about just keeping it to head shots. I have no doubt that it would kill it with a lung shot but I'd almost bet that it would make it back to its hole too. Bigger game than that I would feel more comfortable with a bit more lead. Not saying that the .32 wouldn't do the job.

Within its range the .32 will do its job--remember it is like a .22 or .22 mag in performance depending on load, so keep your game hunting with the .32 to those critters&ranges you'd feel good about popping with a .22 and you will do OK. I have cleanly killed up to say 50 lb critters with a standard .22 out at 50 yds or so. That would be my limit using the .32--so far I have only squirrel hunted with mine. Most folks would opt for the .36 for the larger varmints.

I bought a .36 barrel just to beable to shoot the larger size buckshot out of it. Casting anything under a .45 gets sort of tedious to me.

I have only tried conicals in my old .36 years ago, never have in the .32. My homemade conicals shot very accurately to 100 yds or more. Obviously you get more bullet weight with a conical over a sphere--and usually better ballistics, but I have had no problems with rd balls within the ranges I typically shoot them (usually under 75 yds). Trick is marrying the right load, range and game.

I have used my .32 PRB on feral dogs (25-50 lbs), and the .32 won every time.

A ground hog under 40-50 yds is dead meat.

To stop him from making it back to his hole I would head shoot em.

I would think if you planted a .32 between his stubby little paws he probably wouldn't make back either.

When I first started using a 32 I was actually really suprised how much damage 25 gr of fff Swiss and a PRB does.

The little 32 is bad medicine.

I also think even if you used a .36 you would have to head shoot em to keep him out of his hole.

I'm liking what I hear. What about turkeys? I don't chase em much but live around some states where you can use a rifle in the fall. So there's always the chance I'd want to grab a flinter.

Everybody has their own opinions about this, but for me....I wouldn't shoot a turkey with my .32cal Flintlock. Turkeys are one tough character :shocked2: .I've shot them with my .50cal, and had to go look for almost every one!

I did kill a young 100-110 pound boar hog with my .32cal last squirrel season. Put a ball through both lungs at about 35yds, and it surprised heck out of me! Used 27gr 3f with a PRB weighing about 40gr (same as a .22LR), hog ran about 60-70 yards and piled up out of breath!

Got three groundhog hides in the freezer right now (much to my wife's displeasure) that were killed with a .32cal flintlock. I didn't shoot them-a friend did with an identical rifle to mine which he used to measure and make his from.

I wouldn't shoot a turkey with a .32 either. Once again I'm sure it would kill it with proper placement, but they can sure cover a lot of ground and hide really well.

I am almost through building my sons .32. It will be used for grey squirrels and cotton tails. The best part is that I keep telling him that it is mine and he seems kind of disapointed. Can't wait till the day I spring the supprise on him. When it is complete I will get a good load worked up and sighted in. Then I am going to take the toe plate off and have it ingraved with some kind of special message for him. I will then get a .36 for myself and we will go squirell killin' and have some of those great memories of being in the woods.

mrfishnhunt said:
I am almost through building my sons .32. It will be used for grey squirrels and cotton tails. The best part is that I keep telling him that it is mine and he seems kind of disapointed. Can't wait till the day I spring the supprise on him. When it is complete I will get a good load worked up and sighted in. Then I am going to take the toe plate off and have it ingraved with some kind of special message for him. I will then get a .36 for myself and we will go squirell killin' and have some of those great memories of being in the woods.

You'll never regret it, know I didn't :hatsoff: ...Bud

That's fantastic! I'm leaning strongly towards the .36 at this point. It sounds like the extra punch is going to help with wind/distance issues. Especially with larger small game. Of course that doesn't mean I won't still need a .32 sometime after that! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, guys!

If you need extra power, Buffalo Bullets makes conicals for both calibers. They make a .36 hollow point, flat base conical at 125gr (compared to 65gr for a .350 ball), and a .32 'Ball-et' (which is basically a round nose conical) at 70gr (compared to 45gr for a .310 ball).

I've never tried either of them, just letting you know they're available if you need more punch.

Bunyan, don't forget foxes. The WMA's down the Shore are full of 'em, hardly anybody messes with them. Could make for some good post-season action with a predator call and a .32 or .36 flinter. Consider it your civic duty, the quail will thank you - at least until you build a fowler. :hatsoff:

Bunyan
I truly admire the gift you are giving to your son and building him a rifle is pretty cool as well! In regards to your question of potting a turkey with your 32. my answer is why not. These guns are created for fantastic accuracy at their intended range, if you are able to hold an accurate group at hunting ranges shoot him in the head. If you miss, no wounded animal, if you score you will be a legend to me! Best of luck and happy hunting, remember "Aim small, miss small"! Jet90

In my first ever post I intended to compliment mrfishnhunt on making his son a rifle and to encourage bunyan to try hunting turkeys with his ml under the right circumstances. Please forgive my error, im still learning how to drive this thing! "newbie fever"
Jet90

I don't own a .32 or a .36 never even shot one..but if the .32cal. is equivalent to a .22 longrifle..it will kill a turkey in a minute. I've killed many gobbler with regular .22 long rifle. However..I called them all into shotgun range to do so. 30yds and under..the reason being I knew I had to hit them right where the wingbutt goes into the body to kill them on the spot. None went more than 5'. If you can get into it's[url] vitals..side[/url] or through the back...hit it's head..very hard since it's almost always moving..or where the neck goes into the breast..it don't take much to do it in. But never shoot it in the breast. I've shot them in the breast with a .308 and 30-30 and they flew off both times.
So in my opinion it wouldn't matter far as turkey goes between the .32 and .36..still got to get them close and shoot in the right spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back