• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 or .36?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up until about a year ago or so I had two of each...

CVA Squirrels in both 32 & 36, a TC Cherokee 32 and a TC Hawken 36.

Now I only have two 36's.

Guess I made a choice. :wink:

What style, diameter and weight of barrel do you guys prefer for these three smallbore calibers? I saw a picture on an auction site of an 1840's 100 bore (.360) Purdey rook/rabbit rifle and it was SWEET!!! It only had a 26 inch barrel and looked pretty much like a shrunk down version of their standard 30 inch sporting rifle. I want one, but with such a short sight plane and my old eyes, I would probably have to build one with the square "lollipop" tang peep sight.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your question Joe. In my hands balance is more important than hole size for head shooting small game. Dead is dead, and anything from a 17 caliber air rifle on up is going to kill with head shots. But hitting the head? Ah, now we're down to it.

The only reason I prefer my 32 to my 36 is the "hang" of the 32 in my hands for offhand shooting. It's got a 32" barrel as I recall while my 36 only has a 24", again, as I recall. Whatever the yardstick says, the shorter barrel and less muzzleweight of my 36 makes it a whole sight harder to hit with as range stretches. If my 36 happened to be more muzzleheavy than my 32, I'd be singing it's praises instead.

I'm loving this thread. Lots of well thought out replies. I figure squirrel and small game should be a section on it's own. But that is a whole different topic. I purchased a 40 cal with the intention of small game, mostly squirrel and deer hunting. 32 deer in my lifetime with a bow or shotgun (buckshot) should qualify to shoot one at bow or shotgun range with a 40 cal. I ended up selling the prettiest little 40 cal ever and I am not sure I did the right thing. I have a custom 32 cal on the way for squirrels and will pick up a custom 45 or 50 for deer. Bottom line. I went with a 32. (I sold the 40 to a good friend now I have a flintlock hunting buddy. That is one way to do it) I still think the 40 will do both jobs but why throw away a good excuse to buy another rifle.
I would suggest buying the best you can. Sell some modern guns or what ever to come up with a little extra $$$$. And take you time looking and get a good deal. CHeck out all the different kinds. Dixons in a couple of weeks is a great place to see stuff first hand. Talk to guys who build them. Patience will get you the gun of your dreams.

Pat Cameron

Last year I shot some squirrels with my 32 Cherokee. Using 20 grains of Goex, the prb did no more damage than a 22 rimfire. I currently have a TC Seneca in 36, but have not hunted with it yet. My 36 loads a little easier than the 32. Due to old eyes I put a TC peep sight on the TC 32 cal Cherokee, and like it very much.

I've owned both and loved 'em both. My vote goes to the .36 if I had to pick one or the other.

I've owned both as well and like my current .36 over my old .32, but I couldn't ever get that .32 to shoot. My current .36 is super accurate and pretty flat shooting with 30gr. of 3f. .36 is better if you will be shooting coyotes, fox and such in addition to your normal small game, the rest is just apples and oranges.

currently I have 2 of each and like them both for different reasons
my 32's both tc cherokee's by the way are used for short range shooting out to maybe 50-60 yards.
my 36's both tc seneca's I use for longer ranges and shot the one with a scope on it out to two hundred yards target shooting.
I use buckshot and ww lead in mine and don't see much difference in performance. But I hunt like the old timers get close and then get closer. I also use only 3f powder most of the time goex or sometimes the new stuff 777 just to see if there is a real difference.
the only issue I have ever run into is the smaller bore of the 32 and it takes maybe a minute longer to clean.
the 32's have a 24 inch barrel and the 36's have a 27 inch barrel.
If hunting squirrels I like the 32 just for the challenge and when hunting coyotes the 36 is fun and when hunting deer the 50 works and when hunting elk the 54 works and when hunting turkeys the 12 gauge works. Just depends on what muzzle loader you are comfortable with shooting at what and for what reason.

Latest posts

Back