• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

combat32

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I have this barrel I got in a gun deal, about 33 inches, bore looks good, has one rough spot about 3/4 of the way to the breech but I can't see it with bore light.

It seems to be smoothing up using some JB on it, so I am thinkin I would like to build something out of this, my experience thus far is puttin together a CVA Kentucky(that I still own and shoot) many years ago.

I got some skills, but no experience, where should I start? thanks
000_0006_zps8b17c654.jpg
000_0011_zpsd214a7f8.jpg
000_0013_zps938a896b.jpg

Get yourself a good book on gunmaking first. Along with coming up with an idea of what you want to make. Arkansas ? A late perc. rifle, 1/2 stock, brass or steel trim. Maybe a "Hardware store" type trade rifle. Set triggers, whatever style catches your eye. ...Tom

Not meaning to be a smart a$$, but start by cleaning up the outside of the barrel :haha:

I would go with a simple rifle in the Ohio tradition.

Believe it or not I have cleaned it :grin: , no idea what it came from, it was just a barrel when I got it

A halfstock rifle would be cool, guess I need to find a stock first, and a build book would be a good start.Looks like it is 3/8 across the flat

Where is the best place for stocks?

Also there are no maker marks on it anywhere, just what looks like a serial number on bottom of the tang.

All the BP/ML suppliers have pre-carves & blanks. And ebay has quite a bunch of blanks listed.....

I would like to see your idea gather steam..... I have done 2 such projects....barrels MUST be used!

I see: a nice SMR , walnut stock? :grin: :hmm:

Marc n tomtom

kaintuck said:
I would like to see your idea gather steam..... I have done 2 such projects....barrels MUST be used!

I see: a nice SMR , walnut stock? :grin: :hmm:

Marc n tomtom

never question the wisdom of a man who listens to his cat.

I agree that a SMR is in the cards for this barrel ... any one of a number of suppliers can provide a stock: I have always been a sucker for a nice bit of figured maple.

good luck with your build - let us know how it turns out, and remember: we love pictures ... lots of pictures...

Send it to Bobby Hoyt & have the bore cleaned up. Lots of times he can lightly scrape the bore & take out a rough or loose spot. He has done several for me. If not have him bor it to a .36 & all the rifling will be new inside.

Keith Lisle

It looks very much like a CVA Kentucky barrel, I forgot who made them in Spain.

It's probably 7/8" across the flats with 1:66 rifling and 33 or 33-1/2 inches depending on the year made. .45 or .50 caliber. That one has a cone for firing musket caps.

Back