• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 cal conicals for a squirrel rifle, has any one shot eras gone colt factory conicals from there squirrel rifle??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 36 cal rifle uses .350 round ball with .015 patch. I think a 36 cal conical for a pistol might be too big to pound down my bore? Maybe your rifle is different. I have used powder coated wad cutters sized at .358 in my 36 rifle, no patch. They were ok. Round ball is much more accurate in my gun.

You can shoot 36 cal maxi ball
My 36 cal rifle uses .350 round ball with .015 patch. I think a 36 cal conical for a pistol might be too big to pound down my bore? Maybe your rifle is different. I have used powder coated wad cutters sized at .358 in my 36 rifle, no patch. They were ok. Round ball is much more accurate in my gun.
Hey, thanks for the info, I have 36 cal
Revolvers, and conical from eras gone, I'm trying to think ahead as I'm
Almost, almost about to buy a 36 cal
Squirrel rifle, and the thought of amo
. I'm very interested in the investarms santi fe Hawkins, what you guys thoughts on this rifle?

Investarm makes good rifles, I have a 45. My thought on the 36 cal Santa Fe is that it has a 15/16” barrel, I think that would be nose heavy, my 45 with the same size barrel is nose heavy.

Investarm makes good rifles, I have a 45. My thought on the 36 cal Santa Fe is that it has a 15/16” barrel, I think that would be nose heavy, my 45 with the same size barrel is nose heavy.
Thank you, there's more out there just
Haven't made up mind yet.

Can you shoot these conical in a 36 cal squirrel rifle.(36cal colt factory conical, any info ???
Easiest way to try would be to use a sizing die to match the diameter your 36 caliber squirrel gun prefers. What diameter does your gun’s bore measure?

And just because a conical fits and loads in your barrel doesn’t mean it will shoot accurately. That’s just something you will have try.

Easiest way to try would be to use a sizing die to match the diameter your 36 caliber squirrel gun prefers. What diameter does your gun’s bore measure?

And just because a conical fits and loads in your barrel doesn’t mean it will shoot accurately. That’s just something you will have try.
Thank you for the info, the man at eras gone sent me a message and said, those colt factory conical are
Specifically for revolvers and would not work well in rifles, so that question is answered. Seems most
Folks shoot the patched RB. From the info so far. And I appreciate all
The reply and feed back. I still have to decide on what rifle in 36 cal
Thank you Baxter.

the man at eras gone sent me a message and said, those colt factory conical are
Specifically for revolvers and would not work well in rifles
, so that question is answered.
Guess they are made with Colt Pistol Lead…….. I have cast and sized ‘pistol’ and used them in muzzleloading long guns, some were lubed while others were paper patched. Depends on your gun as to how accurate they will be.

Guess they are made with Colt Pistol Lead…….. I have cast and sized ‘pistol’ and used them in muzzleloading long guns, some were lubed while others were paper patched. Depends on your gun as to how accurate they will be.
Yep, I'm sure you could resize he may
Be referring to as is, from them, I do believe the seating band on those conicals, is at .380. That's a bit big
Isn't it.

Yep, I'm sure you could resize he may
Be referring to as is, from them, I do believe the seating band on those conicals, is at .380. That's a bit big
Isn't it.
Depends on your particular rifle’s bore diameter. What does your gun measure? And I have to ask, what conicals are you currently using in your 36 caliber rifle, and what is causing you to want to try pistol conicals? In addition to the bore diameter, the depth of rifling and width of the lands will play into loading ease and performance.

Not familiar with 36 caliber REAL bullets or even if they are available, but as I remember (I haven’t checked in a while), in 58 caliber the top ‘engagement’ ring was about .015” larger than the other diameters. That .380” seating band may not be all that too large, again, depending on your bore diameter.

There was a 38 caliber rifle that could shoot the 0.375 diameter revolver bullets. I haven't seen any of those rifles marketed for 40 years or more, but rarely turn up on some of the auction sites. In most cases, a conical bullet is unnecessary in a 36 caliber rifle at the ranges a 36 caliber rifle is most effective.

There was a 38 caliber rifle that could shoot the 0.375 diameter revolver bullets. I haven't seen any of those rifles marketed for 40 years or more, but rarely turn up on some of the auction sites. In most cases, a conical bullet is unnecessary in a 36 caliber rifle at the ranges a 36 caliber rifle is most effective.
That's what all replies has said , PRB, is the best way to go. So
I guess PRB is the route I'll take
Thanks for the info, learning stuff
Every day, and I appreciate it
Baxter

I have two .36s and three .350 molds and a .36 maxi ball mold, The Tradition .36 shoots both the roundballs and maxis. The Pedersoli Frontier likes a smaller ball, a .345so I got a mold for that. What ever rifle you get will tell you what it likes to shoot.

I have two .36s and three .350 molds and a .36 maxi ball mold, The Tradition .36 shoots both the roundballs and maxis. The Pedersoli Frontier likes a smaller ball, a .345so I got a mold for that. What ever rifle you get will tell you what it likes to shoot.
Thank you, it seems a lot of folks
Shoot the .350 and .010 to .015 seems very common. We'll see
Once I decide on the rifle, they'll
All have a different personality.
Thanks Baxter.

Thank you, it seems a lot of folks
Shoot the .350 and .010 to .015 seems very common. We'll see
Once I decide on the rifle, they'll
All have a different personality.
Thanks Baxter.
That's a good place to start, both my .36s like .010 patches. Tried thicker patches and accuracy fell off so went with the thinner ones.

That's a good place to start, both my .36s like .010 patches. Tried thicker patches and accuracy fell off so went with the thinner ones.
Hey just ordered my 36 cal investarms, some 350rb and
010/015/020 patches, that should get me started, I have. 2 and 3 F swiss. Witch would be better?

My 36 likes 3f, but experimenting is the name of the game when it comes to muzzleloaders.

Latest posts

Back