• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 caliber deer hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not going to do this, and I am not asking if you think it's a good idea. I just want to know if anyone has used a .36 rifle for deer hunting and how that turned out. The details of the load and shot distance is helpful.

There are some deer species where the .36 might be the bomb, like Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer, Pudu, Brokett Deer, and some deer-like antelope like Reedbok and such.

Any used the .36 rifle deer hunting?

There are those who will disagree. But, IMHO, anything under a .45 with prb is too small for deer hunting. Reason is their small size and light weight allows them to run out of energy very quickly. You want your hunt to be humane. A .45 does fine but stay away from smaller.

I have a nice light 35 caliber half stock I'm thinking about using for javelina next spring. A big javelina might weigh 50 or 60 lbs on the hoof. I've also shot some double patched ball loads at 25 yards with good enough accuracy for the purpose. 2 1/2" group total with two distinct groups. It should be a real killer of a load. Has anyone tried it?
I do have bigger medicine for deer.

1728589561257.png

You gonna shoot them between the eyes or behind the ear?
With skillful stalking and some careful shooting I figure I can do both with one shot.:)
I googled what caliber muzzle loader for javelina in AZ and this is the jibberish that AI, Artificial Intelligence came up with:

AI Overview
Learn more…Opens in new tab

A muzzleloader can be a good choice for hunting javelina in Arizona, and you can use either a primitive or modern inline style. However, there are some regulations to keep in mind:

In-line ignition, scopes, and smokeless powder: These are prohibited in Arizona.

Javelina are tough: Javelina are considered big-game animals in Arizona and are protected by state law. They are very tough and often get away injured from smaller cartridges. Some recommend using a minimum of a .243 caliber.

Some other options for hunting javelina in Arizona include:
  • Rifle cartridges: Some of the best cartridges for javelina include .25-06, .257, 6.5, .260, .270, .280, 7mm-08, .308, .30-30, .30-06, and .300 mags.
  • Handguns: Some common handguns that work well include single-shot Thompson or Remington XP100 centerfire rifle cartridges, and revolvers in .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and .454 Cassul.
  • Crossbows: Crossbows can be used during the firearms season and H.A.M. season.
Maybe I better use a 300 Mag just to be sure since a really big javelina can weigh 50 or 60 lbs.!

Last edited:
I think this is an interesting question. So I can see a ball being a bit too little for deer, but what about a conical? They should be considerably heavier. Think that would do it with a big enough powder charge?

Last edited:
I think this is an interesting question. So I can see a ball being a bit too little for deer, but what about a conical? They should be considerably heavier. Thank that would do it with a big enough powder charge?
I've thought of that too. I have a couple of .313 molds for a 32-20 that I could paper patch that might work. One of these days I'll try it. I doubt the bullets would be stable in a 48" twist but who knows. Right now I'll concentrate on the multiple round ball loads. My rifle is a true 35 caliber with a .350 bore and there aren't any off the shelf .340 molds available. I'm shooting 00 buckshot out of a Lee mold which measures .328 -331 depending on where I measure it. With a .018" patch it loads with ease in my barrel that I coned with a Joe Woods tool. It's not supposed to shoot as well as it does with those dimensions but the accuracy is pretty amazing at typical squirrel hunting ranges. I know, I could just use a single 00 buckshot or carry my 45 but it is fun to experiment. It's not something I'd try on a deer sized animal since I have a 45, a 54, and a 58 for that sort of hunting.

What is legal in your state dictates the answer. But a .36 with enough power would probably do the job. But you know, the right tool for the right job!
There are no muzzle loader caliber requirements for javelina in AZ. A 22 magnum rimfire is legal and a 36 caliber round ball can be loaded to beat that by a bunch.

Back