• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F powder in a .38 cartridge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How many grains of 3F black powder will fit into an empty .38 pistol brass? In an old Dixie Gun Works book (which is long gone), it told how many grain it would hold. I made a "scoop" out of one, with a coat hanger handle. It works great loading my 1858 Remington - just can't remember how many grains it is - level, not heaped!

Thanks
SWIMMMER

I seem to recall that a .38 special cartridge will hold 24 grains of powder.

Don

15 grains by volumn with a 158 grain lead bullet on top. :)
its a great load.

i'm not sure how many grains will fill the case up.

i just load em and shoot em for cowboy action frontier cartridge catagory :thumbsup:

Thanks for the report back. I had 24 grains in the back of my mind, but wasn't sure.
Thanks again.
Swimmer

Back