• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40cal Experiment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Going to conduct an experiment with my .40cal Lancaster...as a deer hunter I’ve always favored larger calibers for a number of reasons, one to be prepared for the rare possibility that a Boone & Crockett buck of a lifetime might step into view 120yds down a loggers road or something and I’d have what it took to get the job done, vs. being armed with a little caliber like the .40.

It occurred to me the other day that since the deer gods smiled at me and let me fill both my buck tags for this season, it no longer matters if such a buck stepped out as I couldn’t shoot it anyway. I’m now limited to Does and have a couple places where the shots would be fairly close if one is offered and so I'm planning to see how the .40cal does first hand.

In addition...I’m planning to experiment with a double ball .40cal load just for the hands on experience of it. I’m fully aware of the need to ensure both balls are separately patched and seated tightly on top of one another of course.
I’ve already experimented at the range with T/C’s double ball load data for the .45 and .50cals...(100grns Goex 2F)...it’s simple to do and extremely accurate, just haven’t tried those hunting yet.

My assumption is that while the .45cal has less bore volume than a .50cal as it relates to pressure, the .440s are smaller/lighter than .490s so T/C used the same powder charge in both calibers and it is fine.
I also assume that same logic would carry on down to the .40cal...it's the next increment smaller bore volume and again with correspondingly smaller/lighter balls.
As an additional measure of margin since the calculations may not be linear, I’m going to reduce T/C's target charge by 10% to 90grns Goex 2F...and since I’ll actually be using Goex 3F in place of 2F, I’m dropping that about another 10% to 80grns 3F.

Hunting all this coming week so hopefully I’ll get a chance to get some real hands on experience with it and will post back if I do...

I`m interested in hearing the results as I tend to favor the smaller caliber stuff myself. I don`t have a .40 but use .45cal with good results on deer and don`t own anything bigger than .50cal. But then again I seldom get a shot much past 50yds.
The two ball concept is interesting, I`ve never heard of it befor.

SgtSchutzen said:
I`m interested in hearing the results as I tend to favor the smaller caliber stuff myself. I don`t have a .40 but use .45cal with good results on deer and don`t own anything bigger than .50cal. But then again I seldom get a shot much past 50yds.

It's illegal in WV.

Yes please post your results. I love experiments. :hmm:

Where is this "TC's Double Ball Load Data" ?

It would be interesting to see that TC is indeed an advocate of double balling.

SgtSchutzen said:

Page copies from a T/C’s owner’s manual, .45/.50cal double ball load data:

TCDoubleBallLoadChartCombined_Page_.jpg

TCDoubleBallLoadChartCombined_Pa-1.jpg

I have done the double ball thing with a .50 and found that they printed about four inches apart vertically at 50 yards. That was many years ago. Never came up with a real use for it since I had a .54 and .58 on hand if bigger was needed.

Still, looking forward to the results of your experiments. Have never seen any thorough examination of the practice done on any of the boards. Knowing you it will be replete with photos, etc. :)

One thing I noticed when doing this is that if the balls atr patched very tight, there can be an air compression effect when pushing the second ball down. It can be pushed all the way down and then pushed back up a bit by the compressed air.

Your name will have to change, Twoballroundball :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the results.

If the patched ball are pretty tight, both may have to go down together, some kind of short starter may be needed.

You know all this I know, good luck :thumbsup:

Brits.

KanawhaRanger said:
It's illegal in WV.

I`ll have to do some checking on our reg`s her in Michigan. However multiple projectile loads (buckshot) are legal for shotguns during deer season so I can`t see why more than one ball would be illegal in a muzzleloader.

I keep meaning to try double balls in both 54 and 58, just cuzz it's an easy way to up the ante pretty quick if I get in tight quarters with a bear. Can't do it for the next couple of months, so if you get inspired by the double 40, maybe you can do the same with something bigger. Hint, hint, etc. :wink:

marmotslayer said:
I have done the double ball thing with a .50 and found that they printed about four inches apart vertically at 50 yards. That was many years ago. Never came up with a real use for it since I had a .54 and .58 on hand if bigger was needed.
I recall my trials being a bit closer, like 2" apart...but like you, with .54/.58/.62's on hand, I never really had the motivation to intentionally hunt with the double ball...now having a .40cal changes things a bit and I'm interested in seeing first hand what kind of terminal performance it'll produce...the longest shot at the couple places for Does would only be 35-40yds.

One thing I noticed when doing this is that if the balls are patched very tight, there can be an air compression effect when pushing the second ball down. It can be pushed all the way down and then pushed back up a bit by the compressed air.

Exactly, and I suspect...in spite of T/Cs cautions and instructions...enough people didn't pay attention, ended up with a barrel obstruction, T/C ate some warranty costs, and removed the load data from the manuals...or whatever the reason the double ball load data was dropped from their owner's manuals.

I short start one, short start the second, then seat them both down as a single projectile.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrownBear said:
I keep meaning to try double balls in both 54 and 58, just cuzz it's an easy way to up the ante pretty quick if I get in tight quarters with a bear. Can't do it for the next couple of months, so if you get inspired by the double 40, maybe you can do the same with something bigger. Hint, hint, etc. :wink:

Wouldn't have to be too accurate if you'd be resting the muzzle on his front teeth...LOL

I have gotten great accuracy with my 45 cal Greenmtnbarrel.
90 grns of ffg goex and two patched round balls gives me a figure 8 damn neer every time at 50 yrds not always virtical but pritty close.
Always wanted to try hunting that way.
IMHO the best accuracy is to get em smokin'

Now this sounds like the answer to any doubts I might have about deer and my .40...I am using fffg pyrodex, any substantial difference in using it vs. Goex ? 80 grains would be hotter than I have ever loaded it. By the way, mine is a 1:66 twist 42" GM barrel. Great info!

Always wanted to try hunting that way.
IMHO the best accuracy is to get em smokin'

I think in CO we have a single projectile restriction for our big game seasons.

Mine were not loaded hot at all. I think around 60 grains under tw0 .490 balls. Mighta been more accurate if loaded to 90 or so!

I also find it very interesting, keep us posted on how it turns out. Also waiting for the dead deer pictures to be posted.

Back