• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40yd smoothbore shot....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding! You guys got some fair sized bunnies around your corner of the world. In my head I"m hearing our lady snicker as this photo is taken! :wink: Also love the way ole Sprocket is staying close but feigning disinterest! :thumbsup: :haha:

Excellent work, Brits.

I'm a bit confused about your hunting conditions/situation. In my part of the country we only have cottontail rabbits, not hares, and you don't see them sitting out where you can shoot them at 40 yards with anything. During the day they are snugged in the trash, and to hunt them you tramp through the trash to flush them out and take shots at very quickly moving targets. When I was a kid and sharp eyed, I did shoot some with a rifle by finding them in their snug, but that was unusual.

Is your faithful spaniel chasing them by you for the shots, or are these the famous English March hares which do parade around in the open? :haha:

Spence

George said:
Excellent work, Brits.

I'm a bit confused about your hunting conditions/situation. In my part of the country we only have cottontail rabbits, not hares, and you don't see them sitting out where you can shoot them at 40 yards with anything. During the day they are snugged in the trash, and to hunt them you tramp through the trash to flush them out and take shots at very quickly moving targets. When I was a kid and sharp eyed, I did shoot some with a rifle by finding them in their snug, but that was unusual.

Is your faithful spaniel chasing them by you for the shots, or are these the famous English March hares which do parade around in the open? :haha:

Spence

Spence, I know this ground and know their habits....sometimes!
I do sometimes let the dog bolt them from cover for a shotgun, usually in winter when flushing woodcock or pheasants a rabbit or two will also bolt.

But I do prefer to sneak about and find them...they may be in their snug or out feeding and by moving slowly I see them. To be honest though they see me first!
I do think our rabbit is different to your cottontails. I think it is larger but is not a hare!
The weather is mild here and some sun fetches them out too.

B.

I think you just must be a better hunter than many of us are, especially me.

I find that I'm a better hunter when my Boykin is with me. She alerts when she smells something and I'm ready if something bolts. Without the dog, it's always a surprise.

Patocazador said:
I think you just must be a better hunter than many of us are, especially me.

I find that I'm a better hunter when my Boykin is with me. She alerts when she smells something and I'm ready if something bolts. Without the dog, it's always a surprise.
I dont think I am a better hunter Sir. I do think I am very blessed to have some good places to walk rich in small game. Please remember....I hardly ever see a deer! It would be good to have more deer on my patch but the small game is easy to carry and I can keep going regular :thumbsup:

Robbin Hood and his trusty dog/musket strike yet again. Good looking cover. During my time in Austria--the 1st thing I noticed was/is the size of those hares, like cocker spaniels & run standing on back legs.....Tom

Brit;
You were aiming center mass at 40 Yards with the smoothbore and HIT him in the head, correct!?

Alden said:
Brit;
You were aiming center mass at 40 Yards with the smoothbore and HIT him in the head, correct!?
I was aiming on it's shoulder, the sights shoot high so I can clearly see what I am aiming for.
It's head was straight up from it's shoulder.

B.

Latest posts

Back