• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 1851 Navy Cyl. Same as the .44 1860 Army Cyl.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfish33

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Are the Cylinders from a 1851 .44 Navy Revolver (Pietta) the same as the .44 1860 Army (Pietta)? Just trying to understand why the 5 shot conversion is offered for the 1860 army and not for the 1851 Navy. Thanks in advance.

Awesome to hear. Hopefully I here the same from atleast another source. Not doubting you at all just like to hear it from more than one source. Would love to convert it using the 1860 Army conversion. :grey:

No problem, is your pistol steel or brass framed? If it has a brass frame I'd be careful.

Years ago I bought a .36 cal. 1851 brass framed pistol from DGW that was set-up to shoot .38 S&W, it worked ok & I only used low power rounds, but you couldn't hit much with it, as the .38 S&W bullet is way under sized for the bore. :thumbsup:

Thomas

Yes the cylinder is the same (I have both). The confusion arises from the fact that the '51 Navy in .44 is a made up gun that Pietta came up with. They took the Army frame and cylinder and put a modified Navy style barrel and Navy sized grips on it. The "true" '51 Navy was a .36 caliber on a smaller frame.

OK thanks Bakeoven Bill. My next question would be is there any reason the conversion for the 1860 Army wouldn't work on my 1851 Navy? Thanks in advance. :grey:

The only difference I see in the frames is the '60 Army is cut for a shoulder stock and the '51 is not. That shouldn't make any difference, but then again I have no experience with the conversion you're talking about. You might want to give the company a call and see before plunking down the cash.

Thanks for all the help guys. One more question. What is the bore size of the .44 Army? Just curious since most 45 LC's are .451, .452 or .454. I know I use .454 roundballs but they get sheared on being rammed in the cylinder. Thanks in advance. :grey:

Awesome Thomas you rock. :grey: Oh by the way where did you find this info? In the actual catalog or online?

Dixies catalog lists many of the bore/groove and chamber sizes for the guns they sell.
If you don't have one, it's worth the money to buy one just for the information that's in the ads and in the back of it.

Because a lot of the information in the back (everything from proof loads and shot size to serial numbers of old guns) will never change the old out of date catalogs are about as good as the new catalog.

If you see one at a gun show, buy it. You'll be happy you did. :)

I got it out of the regular catalog.

Zonie is 100% right. There is a wealth of information in their catalogs that never changes, even if the products are out of date or what they carry.

Thomas

Dixie Gun Works catalog lists the bore for the army 1860 at .452 & the chamber .446. Thats Pietta btw.

Thomas

If I'm reading this right that means that the ball is forced down to .446 in the cylinder and then rattles down a .452 bore??

Mr Nick: That is correct.
Many of the reproduction C&B guns chambers are smaller than the bore size of the barrel (let alone the groove size).

Follow this link and notice my comments about some dangers in fixing the problem. FIXING CHAMBER DIAMETERS?

I might add to my comments in the link, the .36 caliber guns have a lot more material between the chambers so modifying them might be a little safer.

Where did they find the engineers who designed these. I'm not all that smart but this is a real no brainer. Make the cylinder bore smaller than the barrel bore. Duh!!

Latest posts

Back