• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.440" rabbit shot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What with all the talk on the smoothbore department about patchless ball n' all I thought I would try a few combo's on some rabbit.
I got this one with about 50grn of 4f an oiled leather wad, ball and another oiled leather wad on top. Not a long shot, just shy of 20yds.
How ever it would certainly soon get a rabbit or larger to 40yds.
In the photo you can still see smoke drifting away behind me.

B.

Nice head shot Brit.. :thumbsup:
A round ball is also more economical than even a 1/2 ounce load of shot....

Have you ever put that gun on paper using round balls to see how it groups?

colorado clyde said:
Nice head shot Brit.. :thumbsup:
A round ball is also more economical than even a 1/2 ounce load of shot....

Have you ever put that gun on paper using round balls to see how it groups?

No, I have not Clyde, I dare not :redface:

I do shoot a few at stumps to check see.
Three yesterday revealed this load shoots low so I have to raise the front sight but lose some regulation and get some vertical deviation. I got a 7" vertical x 3" wide group for three shots. Not conclusive but I called the slightly left shot #2 and shot#3, high. Shot#1 was good and on the target.

Britsmoothy said:
I got this one with about 50grn of 4f an oiled leather wad, ball and another oiled leather wad on top.

:hmm: I thought 4f was Never used as anything but primer .....I know so little about smooth bore BP guns I'm sure you know what your about. I had just always heard 4f in the pan NOT the barrel :idunno:

Britsmoothy marches to the beat of a different drummer.

It wouldn't surprise me to find he is using Swiss Null B as a main powder charge.

:shake:

This getting to look like a scene out of ghostbusters. :haha:

Dang, it looks like a head shot at that! Maybe I should be throwing these rifle guns in the shed and getting something a bit more accurate like a smoothie.

I gotta tell ya, I admire a man that is willing to hunt in a sport coat :hatsoff: ...and NO! I'm not being sarcastic.
I just get sick of wall to wall camouflage.

The powder I use is sold simply as fine, medium and course.
Fine resembles 4f and medium as 3f. Course is like 2f. I had a can of 1f once by another make and that was courser, and useless.

The fine here is used in pistols!
I would not like to use more than I am, this loadis well over super sonic as is.

The same charge and shot volume works to on this fine grade.

I am yet to see a barrel state a grade of powder.

I can uunderstand some saying not to use 4f as one day a total idiot may tip to much in and start to increase the stress on a gun.

marmotslayer said:

This getting to look like a scene out of ghostbusters. :haha:

Dang, it looks like a head shot at that! Maybe I should be throwing these rifle guns in the shed and getting something a bit more accurate like a smoothie.

If I could use a rifle I would however due to stupid guidelines to the licencing board an anti muzzle loading rifle attitude prevails against their use for hunting! Don't try to apply logic to it, there is none!

colorado clyde said:
I gotta tell ya, I admire a man that is willing to hunt in a sport coat :hatsoff: ...and NO! I'm not being sarcastic.
I just get sick of wall to wall camouflage.
Me too, most of it looks like they been sick all over themselves!

Britsmoothy said:
If I could use a rifle I would however due to stupid guidelines to the licencing board an anti muzzle loading rifle attitude prevails against their use for hunting! Don't try to apply logic to it, there is none!

Yep, Lotsa planes hijacked with those one-shot guns. :doh:

Back