• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 and deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ian45662 said:
Is 55 grains of 3F enough for a deer at lets say 50-60 yards with a 45 round ball out of a flintlock?

I think we just had another similar thread on this same question.
When I started hunting with my .45 flinter I used 95 grains. It ruined too much meat. Over time I reduced the charge to 65 grains and stayed there. Deadly out to my self-imposed limit of 100 yards. Recovered balls (soft lead) expanded to larger than a quarter. That will tear up heart and innards for quick and humane kills. I wouldn't want to go below that.

I have a couple TC Senecas in 45 cal.I don't like over charging these small frame guns.Have killed a couple with both maxi (not my favorite) and RB's :thumbsup: with 55 grs of FFFg.Both RB's and maxis gave pass thru lung shots at 50yds.Two of these even dropped in their tracks without a step.
Just my experences.
Your results may differ. :grin:

A single RB experience like that is nice, but really doesn't address the counter concern discussed of using low powder charges...ie: a low power PRB load with a turned shoulder in the way at 85 yards could easily result in a wounded dying deer that might never be found, etc

roundball said:
A single RB experience like that is nice, but really doesn't address the counter concern discussed of using low powder charges...ie: a low power PRB load with a turned shoulder in the way at 85 yards could easily result in a wounded dying deer that might never be found, etc

That comment brings us into the world of never ending debate. A .45 soft lead round ball with a 65 grain charge at that range will go through the shoulder bone of a whitetail deer like butter. I did have a rb stopped by deer bone one time. It was a downhill shot and I hit high at the spine. Not desirable placement but it downed the deer. A killing follow up shot was required, only time ever for me.

Personally I'd like to see more than just poking a hole in the heart or lungs ... Complete pass through, even if a bone or two gets in the way ... If it runs off ... Much easier to track if it is leaking from TWO holes ... I wouldn't worry about your liner either.

Use as much powder as is the most accurate ... Within the guns limits of course!

I use 60gr.of 3F in my .45. It has punched a Ball from the Neck to the Hindquarter. And, I have shoot a few Deer with a .54 and .50 Calibers and, in my opinion, a .45 will put them down just as quick.

I Had started a thread some time back about the potency of .45 rb on deer and got alot of the Same information.

I have since killed 2 deer with my .45 flintlock with a white-lightning vent liner shooting 80 grains of FFF. I shoot 80 cause thats where I get the best accuracy.

What we need to keep reminding ourselves (myself included) is we take up these traditional firearms to test out hunting skills. If you hone your skills and keep your shots close it will do the trick. If you can't get closer you don't take the Shot.

Find a load that works at your chosen distance and just do it!

Good luck with your choice!!

jrmflintlock said:
What we need to keep reminding ourselves (myself included) is we take up these traditional firearms to test out hunting skills. If you hone your skills and keep your shots close it will do the trick. If you can't get closer you don't take the Shot.

Amen.

I have no qualms about a 45, even though I haven't used one. A hunting pard uses an original 44 and 60 grains of 3f for impressive kills, but that's a measure of his hunting and marksmanship skills more than endorsement of the caliber.

I'm sitting on a couple of small lefthanded locks intended for a "matched" pair of trim rifles. One will certainly be a 32 or smaller and the other likely a 45. While the 45 will have to take a few deer as a matter of course, I'm seeing it more as my "heavy" rabbit gun. That's not because I feel it's marginal for deer. It's cuzz I share the woods with large furry critters and would much rather carry it than a 32 in a few places I hunt. No, the 45 surely ain't an emergency brown bear gun, but it's a darned sight closer than a 32.

A lot of the places I hunt are serious brown bear country during deer season, and I'll be very selective about the places I carry the 45 for deer- but not for concern about its performance as a deer gun.

Pick your shot and make it well. Everything else is speculation.

jrmflintlock said:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Embrace the challenge of a more primative or less efficient weapon and learn what it takes to be effective with it.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I agree!There are many in the hunting fraternity that say you can't hit with or kill deer with a muzzy.
I was one till I tried it many years ago! :surrender:

Well, I might get to try my hand at deer hunting with a .45 because I just bought a .45 TC Hawken off a member here so that I could have 2 good caplock rifles capable of deer hunting. I'm of course going to try roundball and get loads to shoot roundball with but may give a maxi ball a try for deer hunting.

" but may give a maxi ball a try for deer hunting."

Ohhhhh! (sigh of dissapointment in the younger generation)

luie b said:
"...just bought a .45 TC Hawken..."
"...may give a maxi ball a try for deer hunting..."
Experimenting is a fun part of this hobby...I experimented with T/C's Maxi's out of a T/C .45cal Hawken back in the early 90's.

If I might save you some time and money, I found the Maxi-HUNTER was a better choice than the Maxi-BALL...my favorite load for deer hunting in the woods was:

100grns Goex 2F
.45cal Oxyoke wonderwad (a prelubed wool wad)
T/C .45cal x 255grn Maxi-Hunter
Very accurate and just devastating on deer.

(Keep them well coated with Natural Lube 1000)

:idunno: Same here. Young 'un, please don't go over to the dark side. From reading your posts I get the impression you are serious about ML's and the sort of hunting they entail. As the young lady who started this thread found, the round ball is a very efficient killer on game. All the maxi ball hype is just that in my opinion, I don't really know why folks get seduced into using them, but aside from the fact that they are not really PC for most milieus, they just aren't necessary.

Years ago I was lucky enough to get to hunt an island off the southern tip of Vancouver Island which had a large herd of fallow deer which had been introduced about a hundred years before. The population of this herd had grown so big that a cull was in order and I was friends with the fellow who got to ramrod the hunt. Over three years I shot a whole whack of deer at ranges from twenty yards to a hundred and fifty. All one shot kills with a .50 rb. In all cases penetration was very impressive. On broadside shots I almost always found the ball up against the skin on the off side with the bullet looking like a pancake. Frontal shots went nearly or all the way to the rear hams.

On lots of other deer as well as bears it has been the same story, and my load was always a modest 70gr of 3f.

I think most shooters who use traditional ML guns do so for similar reasons and they don't have to be recounted here. But we pretty much all understand that the level of satisfaction hunting with them is commensurate with the amount of effort expended, and as well there is a harkening back to a time when people took a little more time with things, were a lot more self sufficient and self reliant, and knew the enjoyment of a more elemental way of life. To me, hunting with a old timey muzzle loading gun loaded with a simple patched round ball sort of embodies a desire for that "back in the old days" way of life.

I look forward to the pictures of your first round ball deer this fall. Have fun, eh! :thumbsup:

:grin: :grin:
Good lord, it sounds like people should just bury their heads in the sand and never try anything except what you guys want them to use...for crying out loud, the Lad simply said he might try a maxi-ball !

There's nothing wrong with trying different things...its how we learn...and the learning is the journey...and the journey is where the satisfaction comes from.

:thumbsup:

I just fear seeing one of those 300+ lb. deer we have and only be loaded with a .45 and a roundball which might only wound this trophy deer or you hit it in the vitals but since a smaller caliber requires more tracking I may lose the deer and this old, trophy deer rots in a brushpile somewhere.

Oh, no I've killed 2 deer with roundball and could've had more but I passed up does because I didn't want to take a doe and decrease our deer population for next year as 3 does had already been taken that year. These were all with a .50 though.

I don't know... I saw an ad for TC's new inline and, I may just buy it :idunno:. Just kiddin' :rotf:. I don't see what's wrong with an all lead conical :rotf:. It's not like the only firearms I own are traditional muzzleloaders. I own modern stuff and hunt with them, but mostly with muzzleloaders.

Big deer are precious I saw one on the way home from where I hunt tonight that looked like an elk in the shadows. I have had them walk and trot by me but passed because you need to get a clean heart lung shots. I shoot a .54 or .62 I have a CVA kit in 45 I would love to put together and hunt with but I would not shoot a big deer unless he was standing still and could get the heart lung shot. I plan on every deer going 100+ yards but am glad when they go 10-25.

roundball said:
:grin: :grin:
Good lord, it sounds like people should just bury their heads in the sand and never try anything except what you guys want them to use...for crying out loud, the Lad simply said he might try a maxi-ball !

There's nothing wrong with trying different things...its how we learn...and the learning is the journey...and the journey is where the satisfaction comes from.

:thumbsup:

Roundball you nailed it! :thumbsup:

Back