• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

,45 or .50...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A .45 has been my go-to deer rifle for many years. The only reason I picked up a .50 is because of so much bear sign where I hunt. For deer I still prefer a .45 and shoot it lots more than I do the .50. I'll be ready for bear from now on.

My info, worth virtually nothing (just what you paid for it): I've got a custom built .45 Southern flintlock long rifle, a custom built .69 cal / 14 bore flintlock smoothbore long gun (48" barrel), a .54 Sharps percussion carbine, and a double barrel 12 gauge percussion as far as long ML's are concerned.

My .45 is my long distance target rifle. I can hit the kill zone at 100 yards all day, and I'm really not all that good a shot. My .69 smoothie is probably my single go-to long gun, because I can hit the kill at 50 or 60 with round ball and still do a good shot load for other critters & fowl. The .54 is a real killer at 100 (or so) yards, but I'm mostly a flintlock guy. The double barrel is a double barrel. Y'all know what they're best for.

I've put venison on the table with a .45 since the '70's, and taken small game like squirrel with it too. Easy on lead and powder, can be loaded up or down, and can be used (really if not legally) for large or small game. Of course, I don't have griz where I live.

Don't know if that adds much to the conversation, but it's what comes to mind. I'd head into the woods with my .45 without hesitation. But I'd do the same with my 14 bore smoothie... :hmm:

Back