• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 smoothrifle....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Armisport, Italy I believe. Maybe made around the late 80's.
I need to get it some spare nipples! Difficult to find over here M8x1 #11 caps!

Anyway, apart from not having a punch yet to stamp leather and cards I tried it with oversize cards and leather and at 50yds is very accurate! Just low :doh:

I fitted a taller rear tonight as lowering the front won't be enough. Further testing is needed now.
Maybe I will get it now by filing off the front sight some some.

Before all that I loaded it with just a shade over 5/8th an ounce of #5 shot, quite course really for the bore I felt but that's what was in the flask so.....

An equal amount of powder, card and to olive oiled leather washers.
Snook up on this rabbit, it was the very first shot with this .45! Shot distance was a good even thirty strides! For a such a small bore I was impressed!

On dressing the rabbit I could see four hits of the #5, the one to the noggin' was the stopper but the one through the ribs was fatal too however I feel a greater pellet count would be better.
On a side note; I do like how a frontstuffer does not smash small game to bits!

The only thing I have done to this smoothrifle is clear the nipple bolster from the lock plate.

Brits.

That is great. How many grains of what size powder are you using? How thick are your leather washers?

Look at that! Didn't even scare the cows! :thumbsup: Even the Spaniel has a smile! :grin: Dead wabbits tell no tales, except shot placement and density! :haha: Kill the wabbit! I've got to get busy and rebuild my Spanish 9mm smoothie! Thanks for the incentive, Brits! George B.

stantdm said:
That is great. How many grains of what size powder are you using? How thick are your leather washers?

Not sure on the charge, it is the a low setting on an un-marked adjustable measure. Guessing, it must be about 60grains of 3f.

The leather is stamped from welders gauntlets about 1/16-1/8" thick.

B.

That's great Brit, i'm a big fan of the 45 and always wondered what a smoothie would be like.
some photos of your next roundball target session would be greatly appreciated to get an idea of the accuracy potential. :thumbsup:

Will do.....I just was shooting at a lump of granite at 50 long strides. I had two flyers out of ten shots but the rest were all in 4".
This was with a patched ball on top of a leather wad and a thin card. The card and leather are oversized so consistancy on how they were seated was problematic!

Waiting for a punch!

B.

Deputy Dog said:
Nicely done Brit, and a nice looking fowling piece. Your rabbits appear to be larger than ours. Are they hares, or just well fed rabbits? Keep yer powder dry........Robin
Actually it is a small one but closer to the camera lens!
We do get big rabbits yes.
Our hares are much bigger.

B.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quoteThe little ones are nice coated in flour spiced how you want and fried a few minutes

I like them floured, with your choice of spices, then fried, like chicken. When they are well done, I add 1/2 a cup of dry white wine, like Rhine Wine, and 1/2 a cup of water. Simmer until most of the liquid is gone, then make gravy out of what is left. Served over rice or potatoes, it is a meal fit for royalty. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back