• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal prb for big game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" he didn't like me much and started to charge me; can't imagine how mad he would have been with a poor shot from a roundball gun. I would be very careful if I tried it."

Interesting thread, I would tink one might get a entirely new perspective on the experience that our ancestors had, as many buff were taken east of the Mississippi probably thru the 1780's at least,I think Bedinger wrote of taking one during his trip with Stovall at that time the average bore was in the 50-52 range if I recall.

I think with a .50 roundball at a decent range would work just fine. I have no intent on doing it though; I do know one friend that shot one last year with a 50 rb. and he said it took 3 shots to put it down. Don't know the range, load or all the details. All I know is I don't want to get run over by a Buff; or a reindeer either. Merry Christmas

But, what a way to go! No one gets out of life - alive. So, getting run over by a buffalo, rates higher up there than dying in a hospital bed after months of chemo to me. :shocked2: :v

Good point. My best friend says he is going Grizzley bear hunting with a knife if he gets in bad shape. I belive he will. Sorry to get off topic. :redface: Larry

This is a general reply to all here on this thread:
I have killed many bison with a .490 round ball with 90 grains of FFg goex with one ball clean thru the heart with out being turned into a bloody ball of hair and snot. Now with that being said, for those that are worried about gettin the deed done, use somthing bigger, either a .58 or a .62, or a .75. Reason being that you dont have to follow them around anywhere very far, much like shooting them anywhere but the head with a .375 holland and holland magnum, they dont fall straight down, but neither will a whitetail that has been hit in the heart with a .440 or .610 round ball, they like to run just to be a pain in the back side. Animals are like that, they like to pay you back.
You do not need a mountain howitzer to kill a bison, or an elk, or a moose. Just one well placed shot and the stones to follow up with tracking. Its amazing how some thing the size of a VW beetle can disappear right before your very eyes. One well placed shot thru the heart and lungs will kill them grave yard dead, maybeso not drop them in thier tracks, but it will kill them.

Back