• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 cal roundball load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherring

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot a .50 cal flint lancaster with a 44" barrel. My load is 65gr of 3f goex, linen patch, and a .490 ball. It kills targets and deer. I have only shot deer at around 50 yards, and it usually knocks them flat. What do you .50 cal shooters load with?

I'm at 70 gr 3f, 495 ball and Joannes #40 for deer only, but go to bigger cal for elk.

Have killed a large mulie doe at 60 yards with 60 gr 2f and .490 ball and results were excellent. Deer go down pretty easy with good shot placement even with fairly light charges in a .50 cal.

I used 75 to 90 grs WANO PP, .490 PRB, .010" lubed patch.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Both my 50 cal rifles (one capper and one flinter) are real fond of .490 ball with .018 ticking patch and 80 grains of Goex 3f. The capper likes the same charge of Pyrodex P equally well, but of course it won't work in the flinter.

I have no doubts that less powder would kill deer just fine. The only reason I've gone to 80 grains is trajectory. Sighted in dead on at 75 yards, I'm dead on at 25, barely an inch high at 50 and 2-3" low at 100. Goodenuff for me.

I've been using 75 grains of 2F Goex, .020 Ox-yoke pre-lubed patch, .490 Hornady round ball in my percussion GPR.

The rifle also shoots very well with a 70 grain, .015 patch load. I can thumb start it pretty easy and I killed my biggest buck ever at 100 yards using that load. Double lung pass-thru. It burns the patches a little tho. I don't understand how it can burn patches and still be so accurate. :confused:

72 gr works for me in my .50 with 3F & .54 with 2F
I know it sounds weard @ 72 gr. but they like it.

Got to find out what they like like good a woman..

I'm in the 70 grain crowd, 3f Goex. I use a .490 roundball in a .015 cotton patch.

:hatsoff:
Spot

woods loper said:
I shoot a .50 cal flint lancaster with a 44" barrel. My load is 65gr of 3f goex, linen patch, and a .490 ball. It kills targets and deer. I have only shot deer at around 50 yards, and it usually knocks them flat. What do you .50 cal shooters load with?

My .50cal is a shorter 32" x 1:66” RB barrel, and I use the following:

90grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke prelubed wool wad
.018" pillow ticking
Hornady .490"

Worked fine twice in 30 minutes one morning
:)

111203-.50calFlintlock8and7Pointers1800pixels.jpg

I've killed deer with 75gr GOEX 3f (by volume), .018 cotton with .490 rb. Also the same load with .495 rb. The farthest I've killed a deer is at 75 or 80 yards.

However, while my rifle was pretty accurate at 75 yards with that load, it seemed to fall off badly once it got to 100 yards. I found that 55 grains 3f seems to be its favorite charge, but I'm not sure that it will still pack enough punch at that range to kill cleanly. Anybody killed at that range with a lighter load?

I used to use 70-75 gr 3f in my .50's and have taken Deer at around 85 yds cleanly, I usually tried not to shoot past 75 no matter how big the cal was.I think that with primitive sights it is always better to get closer, many talk of the magic 100 yd mark, I don't know where that comes from I have always felt 75 yds was a more reasonable range for open iron sights in general, considering the sight picture one gets on a deer with primitive open sights at the longer ranges.

I worked up a load of 60 gr FFF, a .015 pillow tick patch around a .490 RB with a 4 to 1 ratio olive oil to bee's wax lube. This works very nicely in my wife's little .50 cal deer rifle.

John

i go with .50 cal flintlock 70 gr 3f swiss 33inch barrel.but i've yet to shoot one.this will be my third year hunting.dead on at 30 and 75 yards.

.490 hand cast ball.pillow ticking patch lubed with TOW mink oil over 80grs of 2ff Goex.very accurate in my flinter.

My flintlock, with its 39 inch GM barrel, likes 75 grains of FFg Goex powder, a .015-.018" patch, lubed in bore butter, and shooting a .490 RB.

I use 80 grains of Swiss FFFg Black Powder by volume and a Hand Cast .490 Ball with a .015 pillow ticking patch with a 1 to 3 ratio of deer tallow to boot oil dressing, seems to work for me pretty well. Clover leafs at 25 yards, about an inch at 50 yards, and about two inches at 100 yards, knocks em dead at all ranges with confidence, hope this helps.

Back