• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 yards off hand?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well- I have been practiciing a lot lately,still CAN NOT shoot a 90 at 50 yards off hand(NMRLA target).Shot four of these targets,again,best was a 89.I do not score my own targets(so I can not cheat),but after yesterday,I am begining to think the Golden years are not so Golden.I will be 60 in June, and I would like post a decent aggregate score at our state shoot this June.My hat's off to you folks that can shoot this target in low 90's..Thanks for letting me Rant(whine)...respectfully Montanadan

:grin: Hey don't knock it, if you can shoot the high 80's at 50 yards you are doing quite well indeed. The 50 yard target , though large, doesn't look all that large at the firing line. As for the Golden years in the sixties??? What should I say at 75 ???? The nineties at 50 yards don't come that often anymore---but more than enough to stave off lot's of shooters. I have been shooting bullseye 2700 matches for 40+ years and international free pistol ( 50 yards and 50 metres) for about 25 years, and it's one tough event. Keep up the practise and by 70 you'll be shooting the mid 90's :rotf:

Congrats...and :bow: never let it be said I don't have respect for my elders....Enjoy

I'm luck if I can hit the target at 25 yards. I hope I can shoot that well at your age.

Don

Pasquenel-Thank's for the kind words,I hope I am able to see well enough to partipate in shooting sports at your age.I have spent most of my life shooting pistols,the last twenty some odd years just cap-n-ball revolvers and single shots(M/L's).Lately I have trying to improve my rifle skills and scores,unfortunately I think my pistol skills have diminished some what.From pistol to rifle,and back to pistol again,is tough transition.I do not think I will ever master them both,but I have a good time..Respectfully Montanadan

your doing better than me. I'm not pushing 60 yet but I'm pulling 50 way back there someplace. If I wear my reading specs to see the sights then the target is not there.

50 yrds offhand isn't easy. You would be winning at the shoots I go to. I'm happy to score there.

I did a strange ML postal shoot once.

You received a tiny playing card, only 2" by 1.5", set it up at 100 yards and then shot at it off hand until you hit it. You drew around the card, sent in the backing, kept the card :shocked2:

I was close but grouping off to the left with heavy .451 suppositories in a fancy 1840's percussion with a fast twist and slight choke. I couldn't seem to pull the group over but I eventually got it about a quarter inch off center with only two shots left in my box :thumbsup:

There were a lot of moans about that shoot, not from me though, 'cause I hit it, still have the card on the wall here :rotf:

Pittsburghunter-I wish I was bragging,the gentlemen that I will probably have shoot with.Shoot's pretty consistent low 90's.last month (informal shoot),proceeded to show me how this was done.I can out score him(on a good day)at 25,but overall, still posts a better score..I would not consider this bragging.Respectfully montanadan

Montanadan;

Great to hear that you are still out there shooting. I've been told that shooters like wine get better with age. Case in point the 1992 Bronze Medalist in International Free Pistol was in his 60's.

The important thing is that you are still having fun with it. Here is some advice from a former US Pistol Shooting Team member and 1996 Olympic Shooting Team contender. Not knowing your skill level or shooting experience I will start basic, if it is beneath your level - accept my apologies I do not intend to offend or belittle your skill level. This forum has been an incredible source of info for me, I only want to do my part to keep it helpful and informative for folks.

1.) Have you identified your dominant eye? This can be accomplished by holding your hands out in front of you - arms all the way extended. Join your two pointer fingers and thumbs together to create a triangle. Center a far off object in the triangle with both eyes open. Keeping the object centered in the triangle and keeping both eyes open slowly move your hands back to your face. Your hands should come back to your dominant eye. Don't worry if it doesn't match your dominant hand. I am cross dominant and it never slowed me down.

2.) Do you dry fire? I found this to be the most important part of my training regimen. It helps both mentally and physically to create the fine tuned trigger feel needed for long range precision shooting. In CB revolvers this becomes more difficult. Here is something I did the last time I went to the range. Cap all cylinders with no charge and shoot as if you were shooting for score. When I was competitive I would shoot somewhere around 50 dry fires before I put a single practice round down range. So you can't dry fire too much, but most folks don't do it enough to be helpful. The key is to watch what happens with the front sight. Is it consistently moving in any direction? How is the post trigger break follow-through?

3.) Stance: Once your natural point of aim is identified and you feel comfortable shooting in that stance, you will be able to shoot longer and more comfortably. Over the course of fire your stance might change a little, that is fine, your muscles and physiology will change standing relatively stable for that long of a time. We used to teach folks to close their eyes and spin around a few times while someone else steadied them. Then roughly facing the target with eyes closed (that's where the friend comes in handy), lift both arms and point to the target with your shooting hand. Open your eyes, that is your natural point of aim. Adjust your foot position to get as close as you can to dead center. Close your eyes again and bring up your arms and point. Do this several times to get a good average of your point of aim.

Off hand position in stance. The most commonly accepted position with international shooters was to hook your thumb over your belt buckle. This kept the position closed and stabilized your shoulders. The hand in the pocket position tended to leave too much weight free and would destabilize your position.

4.) Ball and Dummy: Take a trusted shooting friend to the range with you and have them load your pistol. But have them alternate cylinders that have a load and those that only have caps on the nipples. Not just every other cylinder, but really try to confuse without creating a pattern you can't figure out. Have them lay the pistol on the bench. While you fire the pistol, have them watch your muzzle on the shots that are just caps. You watch that front sight. That is the movement you are making when the shot breaks and why some shots might not be where you expect them to be.

5.) Breathing: Several normal breaths followed by a slightly deeper breath. As you are breathing in, lift the pistol up and over the target. As you exhale about 40% of the breath, come down on the target. The last 5% of exhale should bring you through the bullseye and into your position. During your dry firing exercises you should become familiar with how long after you come on target you can hold steady before you abort the shot. Don't try to muscle the shot in, that very rarely works.

6.) Grip: On the old time revolevers, especially the Colt's designed guns, the grip size was intended to let you loop your pinky finger under the butt of the grip. That will help to prevent low shots by gripping the pistol with your pinky finger when pulling the trigger.

I could bore you with some more tips, but only if somebody wants to.

I hope this helps you, or someone else out there. Given that you are an avid shooter, some of these things may sound like old hat to you, but sometimes it is a good idea to tear down your technique to the basics and start over to erradicate any bad habits that have developed.

Again, I want to echo my admiration that you are still out there doing it and having fun :bow:

If these tips are helpful please let me know, if I am being annoying just tell me to buzz off.

Take care!

Styr

Pasquenel;

Did you compete in International Free Pistol during the Atlanta quadrennium? I was an athlete at the Olympic Training Center in C. Springs during that time competing in Free Pistol and Air Pistol. Maybe we crossed paths?

Kirk Rasmussen

walkeroneh50.jpg

This isn't near as far up the accuracy scale as you guys are talking about. Still, it IS 50 yards and fairly gratifying from a Walker

MEC-that's pretty good shooting,especially with a Walker.Glad to see you still post here..Respectfully montanadan..P.S. good job on the book.

Mec;

That's a great looking target considering the inconsistencies inherent in a replica firearm like a Walker.

:hatsoff:

"still post here..Respectfully montanadan..P.S. good job on the book. "

the book has been fun

Back