• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50cal vs 54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Two questions, is there that much difference in the killing power between the 50cal and the 54,within a 75 yard range?? Also where can I find loading data for the 50 cal?

I think that'l depend on the barrel lengths, how hot they're loaded, how big the beastie is and how far away. A real long barreled fifty with a heavy dose of powder is a photon torpedo. Had one for many years and love it. The 54's can of course also develop a lot of steam using the same formula but the whole package gets scaled up to achieve the performance.

Within reasonable limits I'm an adherent to the rate of displacement equals killing power theory: Bigger ball with less velocity is just as good at killing as a faster smaller one. At 75 yards I prefer the long barrel fifty around here.

For loading data the old Lyman black powder manual is a great resource. How hot you go depends on the piece in question. The manufacturer's recommendations are likely available on line and should be your first consideration.

I haven't hunted with a muzzzleloader yet, but I went with a .54 because the rifle is actually lighter (less metal in the barrel) and the roundball is a bit heavier (180 gr vs 230). If I was going to use only conicals I would have gone with a .45 cal. Of all the research I did, and the guys I've talked with over the years, It's pretty much just personal preference when talking deer-sized game and roundballs. Anything bigger, you'll probably want a .54cal. If using conicals, a .45 is plenty for any north american game. BTW, I use fffg with my .54 after reading of others years ago who had better results than with ffg. Goes against most recommendations, but I believe the old lyman manual lists it.
check out this link: http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=301&magid=23

Last edited by a moderator:
My current favorite deer rifle is a .45 and I have taken quite a few deer with various .50s. But my next rifle will be a .54. The larger, heavier ball packs a whollop without the necessity of higher velocity.

Well, I don't have any data for PRB's, but I know from handloading pistol rounds that when you are talking relatively slow moving, bigger IS better. I chose a .54 because I wanted to hunt elk, and I like every bit of edge I can. Would hate to wound and loose an animal.

If you are talking conicals, I would especially want a larger bore because BP has a low ratio of weight to expansive gasses; which was the original reason for the larger dia. bores in older BP rifles (as compared to modern) as I understand it.

I am not a fan of hypercharging loads to increase velocity and power with any gun (never was a "magnumaniac"). The right load is the best shootin' load, and accuracy is more important than a little more velocity to me. And with the conicals, I'd be afraid of leading my bore.

So I guess I am partial to the .54, but that's me. My brother uses a .50 and has no complaints. But then, he's an idiot (don't tell him I said that tho ... :rotf: ).

There is an old formula for figuring out the killing power of a projectile that was based on its momentum and its diameter.

It went something like this:

Kp (killing power) = C (caliber) X W (weight) X V (velocity).

The answer doesn't have any units and it is good only for comparing different projectiles against one another.

Using this for a .490 diameter roundball (caliber) with a weight of 177 grains shot at 1770 fps one arrives with an answer like 153,512.

For a .530 roundball shot at a velocity of 1600 fps one gets .530 X 230 X 1600 = 195,040.

Just for giggles a Win 308 shooting a 150 grain bullet at 2880 figures out to be .308 X 150 X 2880 = 133056.

Of course downrange velocity drops off pretty quickly with a roundball so using my roundball calculator the .50 is down to 1162 fps at 60 yards it gives a value of 100,780, while the .54 is down to 1110 fps for a value of 135,309.

There are a lot of modern shooters who are hooked on the ft/lb sort of figuring but many hunters who have seen what a patched roundball does to game have agreed that this method where the velocity is not squared and where the caliber is taken into account fairly represents the killing power of their loads.

I likes me 54's :grin:
Makes a bigger hole.(period) I always thought it being bigger than a 1/2 inch was kinda neat.

But the 50 will do a fine job on large game at 75yrds.

Heavier weight bullet,large dia bullet, lots of powder = dead critter and hunter with big smile. :)

.54 has more punch then a .50 with any bullet or ball. if your just going for deer a .50 is fine again the .54 will have more punch. for elk I love the .54! all the elk I've taken was with a .54 with a .380 grain conical. and 90 grains of FFFg. kicks a bit but shoots nice tight groups! well what ever you chose I would work up to the the load that shoots the tightest group. start with the lightest to the max for your gun. i shoot 3 shots then clean then shoot 3 more with 10 grains of more powder. on a diffrent target. I keep doing this till I reach the max charge for the gun. then go back and check targets to see what the tights group is. thats your pet load for the gun.

Yeah, I think a well placed shot will drop them no matter what. That being said I use a .58 for almost all my hunting and a deer will rarely go over 30 yards.

I've used both .50 and .54 and have had no problems with either. The biggest game I've had a chance to hunt with them though was deer an hog, so it wasn't anywhere near the size of elk, moose, grizzly, and whatever else some here have hunted with these guns. Having said that, I prefer the .54, but thats partly because my .54 is a flinter and my .50 is a caplock. The .54 does have an advantage past 100yds (which is irrelevant per OPs 75 yd limit), and does penetrate better which would help you if you're faced with a less than perfect shot angle. In the end, either will work for deer size game and smaller if you do your part.

I would add to NOT let availability of local components sway your decision as a Lee mold goes for about $20 last time I checked, and if you prefer a different brand, they're not that much more expensive. That way, your RBs are cheaper than having to buy them, and the mold usually pays for itself after about 200 RBs have been cast. Either way, choose whichever you prefer deep down as both will work inside that 75 yds you mentioned.

Gentlemen, thankyou all for the return replies. I guess I never did take into account of the difference in the rb weight

That pretty much corresponds with reality in the game fields as I have experienced it. That's why I never feel humbled in the presence of modern guns.

Another way to look at it: the .54 has 27% more mass than the .50 round ball. That's significant.

I've used both and believe the .54 will do anything the .50 can, but has a larger margin for the errors that pop up when hunting - like wind and twigs.

I prefer a moderate load in the .54 to a stiff load in the .50. It's a versitile caliber.

I didn't thoroughly read all the responses, but with two otherwise identical MLs (same barrel length & etc), a .50 will weigh a bit more than a .54. I have two GPRs, one in .50 and one in .54. The .54 is maybe a 1/2 pound lighter, seems less barrel heavy and holds on the shoulder better for me. Might be all a head game, but I like my .54 better.

Otter said:
I didn't thoroughly read all the responses, but with two otherwise identical MLs (same barrel length & etc), a .50 will weigh a bit more than a .54. I have two GPRs, one in .50 and one in .54. The .54 is maybe a 1/2 pound lighter, seems less barrel heavy and holds on the shoulder better for me. Might be all a head game, but I like my .54 better.

You're right. The 54 GPR is just right. The TC Hawken with a .62 barrel is a close tie.

Out West in these w-i-d-e-o-p-e-n spaces, I wouldn't go less than a .54, and they weigh less while carrying these distances.

Otter said:

On a 32" barrel the weight difference between .50 and.54 is about three ounces.

Latest posts

Back