• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.530 or .535?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year I'm using .530 Hornady balls with a ox-yoke orginal prelubed patch of 15 thousands and 90 grains of Triple Seven 2F. In my TC 54 Caliber Hawken. Shot a group of .925 at 50 yards which should be good enough for deer. This load still needs a good wack and a short starter to get it loaded.

My .54 cal. elk rifle uses both .530 and .535 RBs w/o a difference in accuracy or POI. The .535 ball is prsently being used w/ a .020 patch because of the easier 2nd shot loading and better obturation of the bore. If both swaged RBs are miked, there's actually some from both sizes that are the same and all shoot the same.....Fred

in my 54 what i use is 530 ball and.18 pillow ticking patch and i get great results
at 65 grains of 2f

I prefer the .535 in my Investarms Cabelas so called hawken rifle. It seems to shoot tighter groups from the bench at 100 yards. Could be less
wuggle room in the barrel when fired.

My barrel seems to like 65 grains of Triple 7 with a cotton ball between the powder and patched ball.

Shoot the most accurate combo. PERIOD.
I use, and pour my own, .535 with .015 patches but that is the most accurate in MY gun...

Back