• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 cal heavy skirted Minie projectile from Dixie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
At our monthly club shoot yesterday one of the participants gave me about 100 .54 cal heavy skirted Minie projectiles he got from Dixie Gunworks that wre too large to go down the barrel of his .54. I have been sizing .557 430 grain Lee minies to .540 resulting in very accurate bullets for my Lyman GP Hunter. I sized some of the Dixie .54's and they appear to swaged! Anybody know about these bullets?

I don't know anything about those specific bullets, but I'm glad you raised the topic anyhow. I'm looking for a short Minie or 'Ball-et' style bullet that runs about 0.526 - 0.528 tops, for a tight-barreled Santa Fe Hawken.

I think Lee makes a .533 mini mould. I bought 50 .533 minis to try in an old Santa Fe Hawken, but haven't had an opportunity to test for accuracy since my son has laid claim to it.

Don't remember who I bought the minis from, but I think he was in Florida.

Back