• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 for Target?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread reminded me I want a big bore! I want to punch big holes in little targets with it.
Ain’t nothin beats a 10 gauge for putting holes in paper.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
If it's a Kibler, buy an additional barrel in an alternative caliber. The profiles are the same, just the smaller caliber will weigh more due to more metal in the barrel.

For example, I have a colonial with a .54 and .58 barrel. Swapping is pretty easy.

I used to shoot .54, primarily for hunting deer. I still prefer it for that. For about four seasons now though, I have been shooting in a weekly league, with targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. No doubt, the .50 is a better ball for me with its flatter (lighter( ball. It also has the advantage of using less powder, and a lighter recoil. In trade, in a given rifle...the larger the bore, the lighter the rifle. My .54 GPR certainly is easier to hold up at the end of an evening than the .50.
I got the .58 Colonial from Kibler....and despite the length, it handles like a fly rod in comparison! I do not use it in competition, but have friends who do.

I tried others but have success on targets as well as game with a 54 in various rifles. My Woods runner is a 54 and is as natural to shoot as pointing your finger. I’ve used as small as 40 calibre but never as good shooting as 54. Over all the expense of shooting a muzzleloader hasn’t been a fraction of cartridges.
IMG_0200 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
That right there is some good shootin'.

Shoot what you want...have fun. I was ordering a replacement barrel made to drop into my kit gun back in the '80s. Viewing several "old" targets posted in his shop, I asked an old barrel maker "For target shooting, what caliber do you prefer?" He pointed to one target and said "Well... I won a State level match with a .50 a couple years ago, ...then my wife won a year later with a .45, but my son ...he like a .54.....So I guess you can take your pick!" I chose .45cal. at that time and won several events with it as recent as last month. ...half the powder and lead of my .54. I did whack a steel "turkey" at about 100yds with the .45 once and it danced and tipped and danced and spun in a full circle before finally tipping off the stand.

To answer the OPs original question: depends on what kind of 'target' shooting you intend to do. Example: for light bench rest or buffalo 'X' stick matches a .54 will give better wind resistance which is important when going for the 100 yard targets. And, a bigger hunk of lead knocks over metallic silhouette targets more reliably than small calibers. Downside: the 54 recoils and can be tiring for a day of match shooting. More lead, more expense. Bigger charges require mean more powder and more expense. That said, if your 'target' shooting is to be offhand and your hunting game no bigger than a whitetail deer, go with a .45. That was my favorite caliber and will do 90% of what the big boys will do.

Respectfully, sir. That is horse hockey. The reason for the 50% scoring rule is to make the game equitable for all round ball calibers. Do check with experienced scorers at big matches, like Friendship.
I do think that there are probably enclaves of shooters who adhere to the cut line method just due to their shooting background. Their collective experience might be so oriented.

To elaborate; there are small groups of shooters all over the country who get together for formal or informal matches. If they are more accustomed to scoring used in suppository matches they might simply apply the cut the line method to their get togethers. More than once I've seen knowledgeable shooters show up for their first time at a competition without having any idea of the center of ball system.

Back