• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 PRB or .50 Maxi-Hunter for Deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live about 80 miles from K-windage. I know that country pretty well. He mentioned that he was hunting on foot and that when he spotted the elk he had to run to get around them to get a shot, which he did. There is nothing strange about that. It is called fair chase hunting.

The timber is thin here. To get a shot at a mulie or speed goat or elk you are most likely going to be at least in black powder cartridge range. It will certainly be over 100 yards if you are fair chase hunting, probably 250. Now you can go down and set up a blind on a water hole or stock tank and set and wait to see if something comes into range to get a drink, and those ranges will be less.

Where I hunt in Kansas, I can hunt in the bottoms and get some 100 yard shots in and around the timber, but if I go up over the bluffs into the open range, then you are going to have to be very very crafty to get within 100 yards of a big whitetail buck. Whitetail bucks there will go 275 to 325, and Mulies will go about 250 to 300 live weight. 175# hanging carcas is normal.

There just aint no such thing as 40 yards across from hillside to hillside in this country. Around here it is 400 yards. At home in Kansas it is at a bit less. On my own land I use PRB because I pick my shots. Off my land I use the 330g ballets because they give me better accuracy over 100 yards.

Ron, heck of a nice buck you got there. I'd have taken that shot myself for that rack, and I'd a been loaded with ballets too. Congratulations.

"Seeing how a lot of production styled traditional rifles are considered to be late 1850s early 1860's a conical should not be out of place for those rifles."

Absolutely, if said conical was a replica or even based on one from that period and not a bullet using 21 cent. R&D and technology, or you are just using a large bore centerfire without the brass case.I personaly queried several of the modern conical makers and none made any claim that their product was based on or even remotely related to the 19th century conicals.They basical took modern bulet design and developed it to work in a ML with out the typical cartridge.

"I frankly don't give a hoot whether TG or Roundball believe me or not. I have not found much that either of them says here worth the time reading."

Oh! the hummility and shame, I am devastated.........OK! all better now..how about you Roundball you get over that crushing revelation yet? chin up, take a deep breath and it will pass, much like a lot of hot gas of which the above is a typical example of.

I must have missed that gem...sounds like sour grapes...I guess its because I raised an eyebrow at the claim of 175 yard shots showing two conicals 100% flattened.

Note: To be clear, it has nothing to do with anyone's veracity...its just a matter of different opinions.
I am simply not yet convinced that the conicals shown in those 2 particular photos were flattened like that by hitting a deer at 175 yards...sorry, but that just my opinion...I could be way wrong.

But I won't make sour grapes remarks about the poster for posting what you said he did...if he made those comments, it says everything about him and nothing about me, so I'm good with it.

:thumbsup:

There is nothing strange about that. It is called fair chase hunting.

Never suggested that it was "strange" nor did the concept of fair chase even cross my mind when reading his account. It was perfectly obvious that his foot chase was fair chase. :)

Now you can go down and set up a blind on a water hole or stock tank and set and wait to see if something comes into range to get a drink, and those ranges will be less.

Have never killed any game by sitting over a water hole. Tried it a few times but I'm not much at sitting for hours at a time. Those whietail hunters who sit in trees from dawn to dusk waiting for game have my total respect. I don't have that kind of patience!

There just aint no such thing as 40 yards across from hillside to hillside in this country.

That's what I meant by modern cartridge hunting mentality. It's more focused on sighting game than just knowing it is there and getting close by still hunting the thicker stuff or calling (for elk, have never tried calling deer). Where I hunt is not much different. One can spot elk and deer at 400 yards or more if one hunts for them that way but I find it a waste of time unless hunting with a modern cartridge rifle.

:rotf: calling for elk in november?

Running elk are hard what you'd call a hard target to sneak in on.

Never shot an elk with a muzzle loader, yet. Going this novembers 4th season cow elk with my muzzle loader.

Not directed at anyone in particular but I believe we've gone pretty far :eek:ff so I am going to close this thread. If the boss disagrees we'll reopen.

:v

HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back