• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 Green Mountain BBL.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen a number of posts lately on 58 cal GMB. I have about 60 rounds PRB through mine at this time. Off the bench with the issued iron sights it is consistently shooting 3 inches at 100 yds. I can't hold any better than that.

My load is a .570 Hornady round ball, 100 grains loose 777 and a heavy cotton patch. I have not chronographed this load.

I have never shot a deer or hog with a patched round ball. All previos experience is with conacals. Hogs in my area run about 250 lbs. Has anyone used a similar load on this size animal? I wonder also if I can get a pass through at 100yds.

Thanks, Jim

Try it, if not most 58 cons work with the slow twist because of bore size even slow moveing 400 to 500 grs of lead is going to hurt very bad. :hmm:

The 58 PRB with that load should work fine on a 250 pound animal. I have taken elk with a 58 using 80 gr FFFg GOEX in a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter. At 70 yards it did not pass through on either animal. Both had the flattened ball just under the skin on the off side. Both had ribs broken on both sides and both dropped on the spot.

brpc said:
I have never shot a deer or hog with a patched round ball. All previos experience is with conacals. Hogs in my area run about 250 lbs. Has anyone used a similar load on this size animal? I wonder also if I can get a pass through at 100yds.

I have taken two deer with my GM .58cal and roundballs and 110 grns of Swiss 1.5Fg. Both were complete passthroughs. One was a small buck at 35 yds, a broadside shot through both lungs that smashed a rib on entry and clipped another on exit. The other was a samll, 85 lb doe that was a 60 yd, head on shot which broke a rib on entry into the chest and then went clear through the deer lengthwise, exiting just behind the rear ham. Both deer dropped in their tracks.

I've never hunted hogs, but I can't imagine a .58cal ball not taking them down on a properly placed shot, even at 100 yds. You may not get a pass through but I will wager you will get a quick kill.

FW, SABINAJILES & MIKE2005:

Thank you for your kind replies.

Jim

From what little I have used 777, it seems to be more powerful than Goex.....A 100 grain load should do just fine on Hogs! :thumbsup:

Back