• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

60 year antelope 2024

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was lucky enough to collect a nice muzzleloader antelope buck this year. Set up in a blind in a hay field and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally a herd of a dozen showed up and slowly made their way into range. When this buck was 105 yards out he stopped coming. I tried to get a bead on him, but had forgotten my cross sticks and couldn't hold steady enough. I got behind the chair and was able to get a good rest over it. I had the 54 Thompson with 80 grains of Swiss FFFg and patched .530 ball sighted for 85 yards, so gave a little elevation and took the shot. The blind was immediately filled with smoke but I did see the buck take off full tilt. I thought I might have missed, but noticed he ran the opposite direction from the rest of the herd. After making a wide circle he went down. The hit was right at the back edge of the front shoulder.
I got my first antelope in 1964, when I was fourteen. That was long before the muzzleloader bug bit me so that was with a centerfire. It was truly enjoyable to get this one 60 years after the first. My dad taught me when I was young, and He's gone now. I sure missed him on this hunt. He enjoyed muzzleloader hunting and enjoyed much success.

Attachments

• 2024.jpg
    2024.jpg
    971.3 KB
  • 1964.jpg
    1964.jpg
    2.1 MB
Back