• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62 colrain barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62flint

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 62 colerain rifled barrel. I normaly shoot 610 round balls out of it but they are a fairly tight fit. I was wondering about 600 balls. Any one try any of these in a colerain barrel? I was wondering if these might be a bit to loose.
Next thing where can I find some 600 round balls. I have a 610 mould, but I wanted to try some before I bought a mold.
Thanks

I use .600 balls in my 42" Colrain barrel with .015 patches
over 80 grains of GOEX ffg. They load easily and I can get 2-3" groups at 100 yards on a good day.

I have shot lots of them in a Colerain & that is what my sone & I found easiet to load & shoot in them. We have 2 of the .62 cals. here, both of them are 37" Jaeger barrels & we use 85 grains of FF Goex, .017 pillow ticking (we mic them compressed with a dial caliper) and Lehigh Lube or my own homemade lube. As far as buying them, if I buy them I usually buy from Eddie May in Georgia.(706-695-5292)
As for the .62 cal you may want to cast them if you shoot it allot. But Eddie has been the cheapest for me. I usually buy in bulk of 500 a or 1000 at a time & get the bulk rate.

Now I have shot the .610's in my rifle but they are just too dang hard to load for me & I am not loading with a hammer all the time. They will not even start in my sons rifle as there is a slight actual bore dia. difference in them.

You might give Eddie a call & possibly arrange a box of 20-25 to try out. Also Rush Creek makes some real good balls, don't know if they have .600's or not but most likely they do.

:results:

Is rush creek still in buisness?
I bought some .400 rb from them a few years ago.
Would you have their contact info by chance?
Thanks

I got a sack of .600 hand cast balls from DGW for a lot cheaper than TOTW. Better measure your Colerain bore. My Colerain .62 Jaeger is really a .61. I coned my barrel and I can load .600 balls wrapped in a .015 wonder patch without a short starter but I think accuracy requires a .018 patch. I'll find out as soon as I go back to the range. I wish I could hit with it as good as I can my .54 GPR cap lock. I gotta practice more.

Yep, my Colerain .62 seems to mic out around .612-.615", I forget which/what exactly. The .600" ball is really more better if your barrel is also a ".61", in reality, which it probably is.

If you want to know something really funny, I shot some .570" balls with denim patches out of my rifle the other day and got a sub-2" four-shot group at 65 yards with them...so don't be afraid to try a .600" ball!!!

Rat

Hey,Rat. What patch lube are you using and how do you like that coned barrel? :: I'm about to bump my patch thickness up to .017-.018 pillow ticking with the .600 balls. I may have to use a short starter to move it down enough for my ram rod. I may try soaking my patches in melted wonder lube/natural lube or my moose milk. Maybe some of each. Do you cut at the muzzle or use pre-cut? Sorry 'bout hijacking the thread. I won't do it anymore. :sorry:

Have used .595 and .580 balls in a 20 bore gun with the proper patching material. You'll also find them much cheaper than .600 or larger balls if you don't cast your own. My ruleof thumb is to use a ball.020 smaller than bore size with lubed .017" patching. Good luck.

I have a later style flinter fitted for 2 different colrain barrels, this gun has a hooked breech and I just remove the three keys and switch barrels, very nice to get use to one gun but be able to hunt any game. One barrel is a .62 rifled which I shoot .595 r/b with .016-.018 patching; the second barrel is a smooth bore 20 gauge which I shoot a .590 r/b with the same patching as above. I can shoot .600 r/b in the rifled gun but it doesn't load without a short starter.

You have to keep in mind the 62 cal ball has allot more surface area to compress when you load. More lands sometimes or wider ones, and also the length of the area you are loading give you more to compress as it is a larger sphere. Thus where you may normally use a .005 or ,010 under bore size, this may be real hard to load with a .62 cal merely because of the mass of it. Thus about .020 under caliber usually works. Most guys cannot properly mic the ID of a bore because they don't have the proper mic to do it. You can slug one & punch it out & mic that to get the measurement, but it is easier to just try a few dif. ball sizes.
Most likely those hand cast balls from DGW came from Eddie May, as he sells thousands of them to DGW each year. He is a full time bullet caster & has done so for years. Goes to allot of the territorial matches & deliveres bullets to the guys shooting in them. Also has a good deal on a range rod, 5/16" SS rods with a deer antler handle, bore guide & jag of your choice for $ 20. If you go to a match, just look for a lil short feller shooting a rifle about twice as long as he is ! ha ha ! That long gun he shoots must have a 48" barrel on it or so, course it looks even longer with him being short & all.

.62 Flint: If you would like I can mail you some .600 balls to try out. Try several lubes on it... Liquids, greases, whatever, try them All. That is how you find the key to the right load.

:thumbsup:

Well you should not need the starter for the .600" ball and .018" patch, that combo thumb presses in my muzzle, although still tight. However, it seems to ram down the bore harder now...? The gentleness of the cone must not size the ball and patch down as much as a whack on a short starter. But I like it, even though I think I have to start over now on load development. That's o.k. I had not got far anyhow. In fact I just realized when shooting yesterday that my rear sight notch is too small, so I've just been wasting powder and lead with a poor sight picture so far.

:curse:

I've been using Wonder Lube 1000+, trying to get a base line going with it, then I'll try some of Birddog's lube I got, and maybe Stumpie's dog-drool or mouse puke, or Moose snot or whatever it is. However, the 1000+, Wonder Wads, and Swiss powder seems to produce a combo that eliminates any wiping/cleaning between shot-strings.

By the way Birddog, I've got about 50 rounds through the gun with the same flint that was in the jaws when you sent it, and it's never miss-fired yet, with no cleaning or wiping the flint and frizzen when shooting. Yes the flint is now looking kind of beat...but she just keeps on ticking.

:what:

I use pre-cut patches that I cut myself. I cut them round, sounds like a lot of trouble, but really I can make hundreds of them while watching the Outlaw Josey Wales. Usually can get the wife to cut a few for me too while I take a break. Not a problem.

Hey the thread is about Colerain barrels...THAT'S what were talkin' about!

:applause:

Rat

Back