• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62cal Rifled Flint Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
.62cal GM Flint "rifled barrel" came back from Ed Rayl today after he added rifling to the smoothbore it used to have...gave it a good hot soapy water cleaning in case there were any machine oils still in it...reinstalled all the exterior components removed before I sent it.

Bore and grooves look good...and I was really surprised to see no indication the breech plug had been removed/reinstalled what-so-ever.

The only thing I did notice was that he apparently made a 1/4" long scribe mark in the steel on the bottom flat, right across the seam where the breech plug mates to the barrel...I assume as a precise index mark...otherwise, I would have never known the barrel ever left my house....hope to try it out Saturday.

Sounds good. I can't wait to hear how this piece shoots. I love the big bore rifles - .58 and up!
Keep us posted Roundball..... did ya tell the guys in the smootbore thread you've changed topic catagories?

I had Ed Rayl make a .62 rifled barrel for my repro Baker it is a real shooter. I'll be very interested in how your rifle shoots. Thanks for Sharing.

fusil de chasse said:
Sounds good. I can't wait to hear how this piece shoots. I love the big bore rifles - .58 and up!
Keep us posted Roundball..... did ya tell the guys in the smootbore thread you've changed topic catagories?
Naw, snuck over here figuring this would be good enough...

This fellow Ed Rayl has a reputation for doing high quality work and I followed people's recommendations to try him.

Judging from the physical condition of this barrel after all that he had to put it through I'm just amazed...and practically for the cost of a handful of double whoppers.

If his bore / rifling work is as as good as the care he put into protecting the outside of the barrel, it should be excellent...let you know.

rich pierce said:
I wished I lived close enough to go over and see if my long round 12 ga smoothbore barrel is done yet. Been "a while".
He seems busy, constantly getting calls, booking new work...probably wouldn't hurt to call him once a week and keep your barrel fresh in his mind

Sounds good roundball, when you get it going let us know the loads you settled on.

I've got a 1"x42" old (but still new) TVM .62 rifled bbl I picked up at a rondy years ago. I keep saying I will stock it up as a rock lock someday, but never get around to it.

I ordered a .62 cal barrel from Ed Rayl. It is 1:104 twist with Forsyth rifling. It somtimes takes a while for a barrel, he has a good reputation and seems to be very busy. The way he explained it, he does all the barrels ordered for a given caliber and then moves on to another caliber. How quickly you get your barrel depends somewhat upon the timing of you order vs his production schedule.

Haven't shot it yet. I'll post a report when I do.

Jimbo

Have fun on Saturday breaking that new barrel in. Let us know how ya make out.

snagg

jimbo15563 said:
I ordered a .62 cal barrel from Ed Rayl. It is 1:104 twist with Forsyth rifling. It somtimes takes a while for a barrel, he has a good reputation and seems to be very busy. The way he explained it, he does all the barrels ordered for a given caliber and then moves on to another caliber. How quickly you get your barrel depends somewhat upon the timing of you order vs his production schedule.

Haven't shot it yet. I'll post a report when I do.

Jimbo
Been 18 months last time I bothered to count. Maybe he's made some 12 ga barrels in that time frame, maybe not- but I ain't going to call anyone every week for a couple of years.

Rich, I'd at least give Ed a call, He has to have misplaced your order or something like that. In the last 18 months, I've gotten three different types of orders from him, and at his stated schedule, give or take a week, and none were more than a six month wait. Two were rebores, one smooth, and one rifled in .54, and one new b-weight .45 rifled 46" long. The new one was the longest wait.

Bill

I started with nothing, and still have most of it left!

What twist? How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? Too bad my flinter only has a 15/16" barrel or I would get a 58cal or 62cal. I can get one for my Rengade percussion though!

I ordered 2 barrels in June 05. Received the first in Mar 06 and the second in May 06. They were both straight 1" octagon in .54 and .62. They cost about $130 each.

Latest posts

Back