• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

75 Cal Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Did some shootin with my new toy from a rest to see how it would group.

runnball it looks like the rifled slugs shot the best, middle group.

Have to do some more shooting with the patched round balls, kinda big groups.
All shootin at 20 yards.

finished4-1.jpg

75range2.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I`m going to run some sandpaper down the barrel to smooth it up a little more. The loads are written on the target.

well :hmm: don't know beans bout then pre guns, but seems to me it'd shoot alot better if the guy holdin it wasn't shiverin! too damn cold up there to be shootin! :shocked2: ...........

lookin good pitchy! looks like fun!.............well.. cept the cold part....brrrrrrrrrrrrr!.... :thumbsup: cool lookin gun pitch!

Thanks, yep it`s a smooth bore that I made. It was 30 above here today RC, a heat wave. :haha:
I`m using blue jean for a patch with bore butter on them. It`s a snug push but can just start them in the barrel by hand then ram rod down smooth. I run some sand paper on a drill and took some of the rough off, overall pretty smooth. I drilled the barrel from a solid shaft 1 1/8 outside which left a 1/4 in wall. The bore is 20 in. deep and the whole barrel is approx. 23 in. The bore ended up at .775 and the balls are .725
Maybe that`s the best accuracy i can expect to get out of a home made barrel.

30 :shocked2: hush up! :shocked2: (dang :nono: you'll start that globalwarming thing up again!)

gees if I hit the cardboard I'd be happy! :haha: be interestin to see how good it can get.... :hmm:
keep at it..specially durin the heat! :haha:

maybe I ought make one of them.. :hmm: .....nah,,that bodily injury thing scares me :redface: :redface: ,,,then there's the actual shootin it! :shocked2: :nono: :nono: nah best not......but thanks fer sharin! thats cool as heck!

PitchyPine: I like the gun. I think the ball/patch combination is too loose. Try shooting that 70 grains of FFg load again but this time put a OP wad between the powder and PRB and see what kind of group you get. If I am right, the group should narrow rather quickly. I wish we could see the spent patches for these targets, as they would also tell you, and us a lot. You basically are shooting a 10 gauge barrel, but trying to use balls for a 12 gauge gun. I think they are just too small. Finding any larger is a problem of course. You could try double patching, or using a combination of two patches of different thicknesses to make those balls fit tighter in the bore. And you might try more powder in that gun. It should not even shove you very much until you get to 90 grains of FFg or more.

PitchyPine said:
Thanks RC, heck this thing don`t kick, about like a 22 :grin:

:haha: I weren't worried about the kick,,,,I'd get hurt buildin it! :rotf: :surrender: :rotf:

Davy said:
Thats funny I thought he wuz skeered! :thumbsup: :rotf:

Davy

:hmm: if'n I read that right...... :hmm: Paul V's tellin Pitch he needs [strike]bigger b[/strike] umm more patchin! that's scary! :shocked2: :wink:

Paul i`ll try what you said tomorrow, so that ball is rattling down the bore ya figure :hmm: suppose that`s why them hollow slugs work better cause they expand out tight in the bore. May have to just round up some of them.
I`ll try a cleaning patch along with the blue jean patch and see if that helps. I`ll go out in the yard and find a few patches and take a pic, be back soon. :thumbsup:

Ok here`s some of the patches and they don`t look good, what ain`t got a hole in it is burned up pretty bad.
I`m listing fellers. :hmm:

patches1.jpg

Bubba45 said:
How hard did they go down bore Lenn?
I can start them in the bore with thumb pressure and they push down fairly easy.
I bet you guys are right it needs a thicker patch. That`s gotta be why those shot gun slugs shot better.

Hey guys I ran out of FF today, what load would ya suggest in FFF. start at 80 i`m thinking?

Back