• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Great day at the range with my new smoothbore!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don,t know how many of you folks seen the 1816 US flintlock musket on the Classified Ads a few weeks back. Man I love a big nasty military musket
so I jumped at the offer. It got to my house on Sept 10th. I used my dial calipers to measure the inside of the bore and E Mailed Jeff Tanner in England. My .675 mould got here on Sept 17th.
Yesterday! I ran a bunch of the large ball by 7PM
and I figured I have the rounds, let go to the range after work tomorrow ( Today Sept 18th )
I got to the range about 3:45 PM and I set up a large bull pistol target at 25 yards and a native NC bowling pin which I tied to the target frame at 50 yards. The goal was to shoot enough shots on the paper to figure out my sight picture and then abuse the bowling pin. In most cases it takes a couple of visits to achieve this.
I decided to take my fouling shot a the pin. Nothing ventured..... So I level the musket until the three barrel bands are touching. I triangulate the front sight with the tang screw and the barrel bands. I used this sight picture and aimed dead center of the pin and pulled the military trigger pull. Before the smoke clouded my vision, I seen the pin swing up and over the top of the target frame. It looped twice.
This was a very pleasing start.
Now to the paper.
I held the barrel bands just slightly showing and aimed for the center of the big pistol target. A .675 hole appeared at 12 o-clock in the 7 ring
First white ring. I then held with the rings flatter and aimed at the bottom of the 9 ring. My remaining 4 shots were 2, 9s and 2, 10s. I had one more lubbed patch left so I decided to close out on the bowling pin. I aimed slightly lower in the pin and hit it so hart it jarred free of my knots. All in all one of my best initial trips to the range with a new smoothbore. I still gots the smile on me face! Watch out Manyklatch!

Range data
Bore. .690
Ball .675
Patch 15 thousands of a soft material
Powder 85 grains of Goex 2F
Prime 4F

I expect to whack many gongs this fall with this musket and perhaps Bambi!

YEEEHIIIII!

Grizz, sounds like I'd better use the camera when you shoot the chickens on the silhouette range at Friendship this Spring. You probably won't leave much for the rest of the shooters. Reckon I'd better figure out where that new front sight on the Bess shoots.

Many Klatch

I did see that musket for sale there....man she was a beauty!

I want a 1766 or 77 french musket bad..
They are nice, does that 1816 have the cheekpiece cut out like the french model?

Cheers

A pinch of powder, a handful of lead, and a new smoothbore with bowling pins it does not get any better!!! Silas:thumbsup:

GRZ, Ahhhhh.so you are the one who bought the musket.....If I would have been a few minutes faster she would have been Mine! Lucky you....
sounds like she is working out just fine for you.

Back