• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a&h mountain rifle ??? lyman great plains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great plains

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i'have a lyman great plains the weight is about 9 pounds.. the barrel is almost 33 inch long 15/16 across the flats.. read in a black powder mag that the a&h is 1inch across the flats?? the weight is 7 and half pounds is the true?? is a maple stock lighter than a walnut stock??? other than a shorter stock and 1 barrel wedge.. how could it weight a pound and half less????? i'seen the one fore sale on action arms.. : :bow: :hmm: thanks great plains :hatsoff: WORM

The Lyman Great Plains rifle isn't walnut unless it's an old one. I believe walnut is normally lighter because it's a lot more porous.

Lyman's web site also says they are European walnut. Can they say that if it isn't true?

Don R

It's possible that it is some strange Turkish wood that may be in the walnut family. It doesn't look like any type of walnut I've ever seen in all my years of working with wood. It can be attractive, if it's stained dark enough to hide the unusual grain.

The weight savings was the big reason for me getting the Austin and Halleck, over the Great Plains. I do not like heavy rifles. I have a Lyman Deerstalker in pecussion, and wanted a flinter so it was a toss up between the Lyman Trade, and the Austin and Halleck. They put the A+H on sale, so they made the choice for me. That and I realy wanted a slow round ball twist.

Maybe it is walnut. It seems that what it looks like depends on where it grows. It is probably Persian or Circassian.

COMMON NAMES: English walnut, Persian walnut, European walnut, Circassian walnut

SOURCE: Western and central Asia to Western Europe

DESCRIPTION: English walnut is variable in color and density depending on where it grows. Heartwood brown with a grayish-brown background, often with irregular dark streaks and wavy grain.

On the genetic level, walnut is walnut is walnut. Genetically it's all the same. The differences is density, color, figure, etc. come from the environmental differences between regions, such as the difference in climate between the U.S, Europe and Turkey. I was told this by one of the guys at Holland and Holland when I got to visit the store in London a few years ago. It was an educational experience, for sure.

tnlonghunter said:
On the genetic level, walnut is walnut is walnut. Genetically it's all the same. The differences is density, color, figure, etc. come from the environmental differences between regions, such as the difference in climate between the U.S, Europe and Turkey. I was told this by one of the guys at Holland and Holland when I got to visit the store in London a few years ago. It was an educational experience, for sure.

Hmmmmm, are you sure you weren't talking to the janitor?. Far be it from me to question H&H but if you grow an English walnut and American black walnut tree side by side (same environment) you still end up with two different animals. Bastogne is a hybrid of english and black. A hybrid is from crossing two different species or varieties. Genetically, a dog is a dog but a St bernard and a pomeranian are not exactly alike.

Cody

That really doesn't work. If both barrels are 32" long and same bore size, the 1" barrel will be a full pound heavier than a 15/16". Thus the stock and hardware of the A&H would have to be 2 1/2# lighter than the GPR and I doubt that. Some of the figures listed in various catalogs are pretty dubious.

The more important characteristic to understand about European Walnuts is that are grown in much more humid climates than where American Walnut typically is grown.( The same has to be said for walnut grown in S. America, or in Asia.) In spite of kiln drying, it is likely to develop checks, and small cracks around inletting on a stock- the rear of the tang is common-when the gunstock is stored indoors in a dry room of a house during the winter. If you see a crack developing, relieve some wood with a fine chisel, and put a lttle stock finishing oil back on the spot. If the crack is long enough when you find it, or wide enough, you may want to use a glue, epoxy, or some combination of filler and epoxy to seal the crack to keep it from enlarging.

This kind of checking can happen even on American woods, and does, because our houses are so dry during the winter months with the artificial heating we grow accustomed to enjoying. In the North, the relative humidity is so dry, it doesn't matter whether your house is warm or not- it is too dry for these walnut stocks, and over time- maybe not the first year- you are likely to see a split or crack develop. The only way to protect the guns is to humidify the air artificially, and as of now, I know of no humidifier that has sophisticated enough controls to allow you to humidify a gun case to protect the stocks, without contributing to the rusting of the gun metals.

The only hint I can give is to not exhaust the steam from your shower in the winter, but open the door of the bathroom and let the steam out into the house. You can also leave a pan of water in the oven over night, and let the evaporating water fill the house. But, oil and check your guns every week if you try this, whether they get used or not.

paulvallandigham said:
The only hint I can give is to not exhaust the steam from your shower in the winter, but open the door of the bathroom and let the steam out into the house. You can also leave a pan of water in the oven over night, and let the evaporating water fill the house. But, oil and check your guns every week if you try this, whether they get used or not.

I know some people that exhaust their clothes dryer into the house as a humidifier. Just put a nylon stocking over the vent to filter out lint.

cody

My A&H 50cal Hawken, 8lbs 10.5oz with flint.

Flintlock005.jpg

barefootarkie said:
My A&H 50cal Hawken, 8lbs 10.5oz with flint.

Thank You, I was having a little trouble believing 7 1/2 pounds with a 1" barrel. I just weighed a couple of Green Mt. 1"x36" barrels. The .50 cal weighed 6 pounds 5 oz. and the .54 came in at 5 pounds 15 oz. So in a 32" length you have 5 1/4 to 5 3/4 pounds in the barrel alone.

Well I couldn't stand it, so I weighed my A&H and it is just shy of 9 lbs. So much for their advertising.. I have only put a 1/2 lb of fffg through my rifle, and it has developed a crack in the stock on the off side from the lock. It runs through the back screw hole, and travels down on an angle. I emailed A&H, and they said to send it back and they would send me a new rifle. That is good service. Any rifle can have problems, and I don't mind as long as they stand behind thier product.

Latest posts

Back