• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A List of Beginner's Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wished I could sharpen chisels well
Lee Valley Tools makes some fine jigs for sharpening chisels, but the better ones run $50-75. @SOLANCO posted a pic towards the top of page 3, which I could not get to copy here. 15-20 years ago one of the guys I worked with started a hand-tool Splinter group as part of the local woodworking group. Since then we've had 15-20 annual sharpening sessions. I think I've seen every method under the sun, and took a stab at almost all of them. Lot's love the LV, the rich ones swear by Tormek. Some like waterstones, others like diamond stones, oilstones or Scary Sharp. All work.

I mostly fee-hand sharpen chisels using diamond and/or oilstones and Scary Sharp finished with a strop. I have one of the $10 jigs I accurized the day I got it, but really only use it when I need to reestablish a bevel angle. It takes little time to keep tools sharp if you touch them up as soon as you notice they are not as sharp as they should or could be.

I should point out that my pictured tools will get you through building from a plank, although I built guns from a plank with far less for many years. You'll notice I don't use any chisel "sets", they just aren't needed to stock up a gun. A few sharp chisels are far better than many dull ones.
You need far less for Kibler kits. I believe Kibler has a list of tools on his website for his kits.

Well it's certainly funny how quick things change. Last week I was looking to start a new hobby over the winter.

Mom died yesterday. This was still sitting as an active tab on my desktop.

So much for a new hobby. I'll get back to this later for sure, God willing. Getting Mom sorted out won't be a problem, but we have been sitting around the north side of Cincinnati for over a decade watching over her. We'll be loading up and moving to Kentucky full time shortly. I'll be turning Deer Camp into a permanent home now. I'll be sure to figure in room for a dedicated workbench

It's funny, January 2022, I buy a 'Bess and get on here to ask questions. Within a month I've lost my job and two weeks later, I find out I've got Cancer. I get that licked and get a clean bill of health last week and Mom decides to check out, just as I'm thinking about building a flinter. There's got to be some connection between me and flintlocks.

Back