• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A List of Beginner's Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using the Google term
site:muzzleloadingforum.com
will bring up results only on this forum and can be very helpful. Xenforo isn't known to have the best search functionality.

Try Google searching for:
"Recommended tools kibler kit finishing site:muzzleloadingforum.com"

Using the Google term
site:muzzleloadingforum.com
will bring up results only on this forum and can be very helpful. Xenforo isn't known to have the best search functionality.

Try Google searching for:
"Recommended tools kibler kit finishing site:muzzleloadingforum.com"
Forgot to mention, I use duckduckgo as my search engine. It doesn't block or favor sites like Google does.

The OP obviously has the computer skills to search the internet or I doubt he'd be able to come here. Kibler has tool recommendations on his site and even sells a few. Page 2 of my Woodsrunner instructions has a recommended tool list. The search function right here. YouTube has videos that list tools. And most tools might become obvious simply through the build process and/or reading the instructions.

Point is we have several generations now pretending to be adults who always try the shortcut of asking someone first. Granted it can usually be faster and maybe even more accurate. But what do they learn from it? How to kiss up? Did their teachers and parents just hand them the answers in school? I hope not but I know many do.
Some people like to learn through human interaction rather than searching themselves.

Neither one is more correct than the other.

We have discussion forums so people can talk to each other. Otherwise, they could just be replaced with a static web page full of muzzle loader information.

Some people like to learn through human interaction rather than searching themselves.

Neither one is more correct than the other.

We have discussion forums so people can talk to each other. Otherwise, they could just be replaced with a static web page full of muzzle loader information.
Human interaction is one thing and I would expect it to come into play for a question as to HOW to use a certain tool and NOT what tools do I need?

For 43 years I was in an electronics field of some sort. Aircraft navigational aids were first. Followed by satellite communications systems and ending up for some 23 years in IT. For maybe 40 of those years I taught the new kids that came into the field. While they all had the basics, I gave them the finer points. And far and away the best way to teach them was to let them manipulate the controls, keyboard, etc. They learned by doing and not by expecting me to do it for them.

But then, it can be far easier for me to simply keep quiet and let others stumble through to my amusement.

Human interaction is one thing and I would expect it to come into play for a question as to HOW to use a certain tool and NOT what tools do I need?

For 43 years I was in an electronics field of some sort. Aircraft navigational aids were first. Followed by satellite communications systems and ending up for some 23 years in IT. For maybe 40 of those years I taught the new kids that came into the field. While they all had the basics, I gave them the finer points. And far and away the best way to teach them was to let them manipulate the controls, keyboard, etc. They learned by doing and not by expecting me to do it for them.

But then, it can be far easier for me to simply keep quiet and let others stumble through to my amusement.
Often, it's just easier.

I could go to Google and spend some hours following links and trying to figure out the answer on my own.

Or, I could post it to an internet forum and have it answered by someone who already knows the answer, get an email notification, and come back and get the information.

Now AI is changing the game. It parses the links for you (to some degree). You have to be cautious however as it will very confidently give wrong answers. But that's a risk even from a human response.

A word of caution here;
Though it can be tempting for the novice or those seeking guidance to take the word of people (YouTube is the worst) that "this is what you need and how to do it" you need to cross-reference what they say against others' advice before proceeding. Or, said another way, take care to make up your own mind before saying; "hold my beer and watch this". I've learned that lesson the hard way several times, (no Darwin Award...yet) most recently in fixing a carburetor on my snowblower (thanks YouTube).

Generally speaking, the more corroborating data you can get from unrelated sources (along with testimonials about how good the information is from the source) the more sound the advice. And yeah, the factory doesn't always have it right either (Seasoning a barrel anyone?).

Last edited:
Often, it's just easier.

I could
go to Google and spend some hours following links and trying to figure out the answer on my own.

Or, I could post it to an internet forum and have it answered by someone who already knows the answer, get an email notification, and come back and get the information.

Now AI is changing the game. It parses the links for you (to some degree). You have to be cautious however as it will very confidently give wrong answers. But that's a risk even from a human response.
And the one way you remain just as ignorant as when you started.

AI is indeed something new. Something new to learn if you're of a mind to. Or you could ask and continue to remain ignorant. Your choice!

Generally speaking, the more corroborating data you can get from unrelated sources (along with testimonials about how good the information is from the source) the more sound the advice. ...
I also make it a point to only take advice from sources that have a comment section. Obviously not all of the comments are correct, but it leaves room for someone who knows more but then the person making the tutorial to correct them or add helpful tips.

YouTube is a good place to start, but in my opinion, forums have much better information because everybody is allowed to voice their opinion on whatever it is. That being said, there are quite a few YouTube videos out there that are full of factually correct information.

Another thing I've noticed is people jumping on content creators or posters for not doing something the "best" way. There's more than one way to do just about everything, and while one way maybe more optimum than another, it doesn't necessarily make that way incorrect. Obviously you need to use your brain to filter out the BS.

When in doubt, join a forum specific to that topic, and ask a question.

Default (GPT-3.5)

User
What tools would be required to finish a muzzle loading rifle kit? Please elaborate.

ChatGPT
Finishing a muzzleloading rifle kit involves several steps, from shaping and fitting the components to adding a protective finish. Here's a more detailed explanation of the tools and tasks involved:

Screwdrivers: You'll need a set of screwdrivers to assemble and tighten screws that hold various parts of the rifle together, such as the lock, trigger guard, and buttplate.

Wood Rasps and Files: These tools are used to shape and contour the wooden stock to achieve the desired fit and appearance. You'll gradually remove excess wood and smooth out rough areas.

Sandpaper: Various grits of sandpaper are essential for further shaping and smoothing the wood surfaces. Start with coarse grits and progressively move to finer grits for a polished finish.

Vice: A vice securely holds the rifle components while you work on them. This ensures stability and precision during shaping and fitting tasks.

Inletting Chisels: These specialized chisels help you create precise recesses (inlets) in the stock to accommodate rifle components like the lock, barrel, and trigger mechanism.

Muzzle Protector: When finishing the muzzle end of the barrel, a muzzle protector helps prevent damage while you work on other parts of the rifle.

Wood Stain or Finish: Applying a wood stain or finish enhances the appearance of the stock while protecting it from moisture and wear. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results.

Cleaning Kit: A cleaning kit is necessary to maintain the rifle's bore and ensure safe and accurate shooting. It typically includes cleaning rods, patches, bore brushes, and cleaning solvents.

Drill and Drill Bits: You might need a drill and appropriate bits for certain tasks, such as creating pilot holes for screws or drilling holes for additional accessories.

Small Hand Tools: Depending on the specific kit and your preferences, you may require other small hand tools like punches, hammers, and scrapers for precise fitting and finishing work.

Always ensure you have adequate safety equipment, such as eye protection and gloves, when working with tools. Additionally, carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the kit manufacturer to ensure a successful and s
afe assembly and finishing process.

I always say, and wish I'd done it when young, if you're a young guy starting out being interested in firearms, buy a good set of Screwdrivers dedicated to gun smithing, right from the get-go.

How does asking questions make you continue to remain ignorant?
When simply handed the answer you never learn how to figure it on your own. Those skills you don't learn usually can help you in a number of other ways. Like doing more searches for other things!

I've been searching for and finding what I need on the internet for 30 years or more. I've spent hours and even days looking for something in particular. But in so doing I've learned how to phrase my requests for best results so that today I rarely need more than 5 minutes to get everything I need for a particular search.

I use to simply hand over the answers to whomever asked but that has resulted in my being used as their Help Desk. Sorry but I have things to do as well and doing your searches for you is not one of them.

Last edited:
And the one way you remain just as ignorant as when you started.

AI is indeed something new. Something new to learn if you're of a mind to. Or you could ask and continue to remain ignorant. Your choice!
I recently completed a Woodsrunner build. Now, I’m not new to firearms and not new to ML. However, I never built a ML and had many questions about stock finishing, barrel browning, etc. I came to this forum and asked questions. I could have used Google which would elicit answers from a variety of people who THINK they’re experts. Usually these are just those who like to talk. The answers I received on this forum were spot on from people who have knowledge and experience.
Your comment makes me wonder if you are an expert with knowledge and experience or just someone who like to hear themself talk. I think the latter! Have a good day!

A good set of screwdrivers would help. Proper fit between driver and slot so there is no slipout, which would scar the screw head. Nothing says poor craftsman more than boogered up screw slots. You will be removing some screws on a regular basis when you start shooting. Like the lock screws. It helps to be able to clean out all the fouling. Some gets inside the lock, even with a tight barrel/lock combination.
I like my Wheeler screwdriver set. It sits next to my bench and has pretty much any size head needed.

Anyone have a favorite set of chisels they would recommend?

Back