• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A List of Beginner's Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Default (GPT-3.5)

User
What tools would be required to finish a muzzle loading rifle kit? Please elaborate.

ChatGPT
Finishing a muzzleloading rifle kit involves several steps, from shaping and fitting the components to adding a protective finish. Here's a more detailed explanation of the tools and tasks involved:

Screwdrivers: You'll need a set of screwdrivers to assemble and tighten screws that hold various parts of the rifle together, such as the lock, trigger guard, and buttplate.

Wood Rasps and Files: These tools are used to shape and contour the wooden stock to achieve the desired fit and appearance. You'll gradually remove excess wood and smooth out rough areas.

Sandpaper: Various grits of sandpaper are essential for further shaping and smoothing the wood surfaces. Start with coarse grits and progressively move to finer grits for a polished finish.

Vice: A vice securely holds the rifle components while you work on them. This ensures stability and precision during shaping and fitting tasks.

Inletting Chisels: These specialized chisels help you create precise recesses (inlets) in the stock to accommodate rifle components like the lock, barrel, and trigger mechanism.

Muzzle Protector: When finishing the muzzle end of the barrel, a muzzle protector helps prevent damage while you work on other parts of the rifle.

Wood Stain or Finish: Applying a wood stain or finish enhances the appearance of the stock while protecting it from moisture and wear. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results.

Cleaning Kit: A cleaning kit is necessary to maintain the rifle's bore and ensure safe and accurate shooting. It typically includes cleaning rods, patches, bore brushes, and cleaning solvents.

Drill and Drill Bits: You might need a drill and appropriate bits for certain tasks, such as creating pilot holes for screws or drilling holes for additional accessories.

Small Hand Tools: Depending on the specific kit and your preferences, you may require other small hand tools like punches, hammers, and scrapers for precise fitting and finishing work.

Always ensure you have adequate safety equipment, such as eye protection and gloves, when working with tools. Additionally, carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the kit manufacturer to ensure a successful and s
afe assembly and finishing process.
These are really good accessories to mention, because I'm a 'Trades guy' I myself have these already. But still it's good to know, thank you.

I recently completed a Woodsrunner build. Now, I’m not new to firearms and not new to ML. However, I never built a ML and had many questions about stock finishing, barrel browning, etc. I came to this forum and asked questions. I could have used Google which would elicit answers from a variety of people who THINK they’re experts. Usually these are just those who like to talk. The answers I received on this forum were spot on from people who have knowledge and experience.
Your comment makes me wonder if you are an expert with knowledge and experience or just someone who like to hear themself talk. I think the latter! Have a good day!
A complete tool list is something different from trying to decide something like which color stain to go with. If you can't see the difference...........................

Expert? Not hardly. I'm one of the dumbest people I know. But I don't seek final answers but rather where that knowledge might be available. I search and learn. And I'll ask on forums. I've garnered a lot here simply by searching. You on the other hand sound as if you're one step away from having someone else do it for you.

A complete tool list is something different from trying to decide something like which color stain to go with. If you can't see the difference...........................

Expert? Not hardly. I'm one of the dumbest people I know. But I don't seek final answers but rather where that knowledge might be available. I search and learn. And I'll ask on forums. I've garnered a lot here simply by searching. You on the other hand sound as if you're one step away from having someone else do it for you.
I’ll ask for help when I feel I’m getting myself in too deep. If that’s one step away from having someone else do it for me then so be it. Just to be clear, I was reacting to your original response to the fellow that wanted information regarding tools. I felt that telling him that he would remain ignorant was out of line in this forum. People come here to help and get help. You’re response to him was not helpful. Let’s leave it at that.
Have a nice day!

Look, I'm probably not a black belt at Google-Fu, but if I don't see the answer I want in the first few of pages of a search, I'm going to try another way.

In this case, I searched Kibler's site, and Googled a few times, and then came here and did a few searches. Nobody had a decent list as a list and not a 10-part series on how to build a rifle.

I even have a friend that's done it. I asked him. He told me to just start building and see what made sense.

There are classes on how to build a rifle, but it's a matter of pay the tuition/get the list.

There are books, but it's buy the book/get the list.

If you scour the forum threads, what you see is a lot of the same kind of questions and then an argument among the curmudgeons on what's this-or-that for the job. It all make perfect sense to y'all, but as a newbie, I say Phooey!

Scota@45/70 was the first list as a just a list that I've seen.

As I said previously, someone should sticky a list at the top.

Y'all gotta understand another thing: I just finished Chemo a year ago. I'm clean now, but the poison left me with all sorts of problems, including neuropathy in my feet and hands. Last year at this time, I was a wreck. I'm pretty much recovered, but. . .

As a for-instance, I tried to repair a laptop for my #1 granddaughter this past weekend. I got an hour into it and found out I was no longer able to handle all the little screws and such. I dumped off and took it to a repair place. I did this sort of work for 40 years before I was forced to retire due to the cancer. When I do this build, it's going to be a form of advanced Occupational Therapy. I plan on acquiring the tools and then practicing on scraps before the kit arrives. This is a mountain I want to climb. I didn't think I'd have to dodge rotten tomatoes along the way.

Now that I have the list, I can start inventorying my tools and segregate what I need and go about acquiring the rest. Thanks for your help.

One thing I'll be sure to do when I get this project together is make up my own list of suggested tools and post it on my weblog for the next guy.
You have my sincerest sympathy and recognize your courage to be renewing some previous capabilities. All the best to you.

My favorite tool is a little pocket sized notebook. You're going to come across people who really know what they're talking about, people like Mike, and you're going to want to remember what they have to say.

I always say, and wish I'd done it when young, if you're a young guy starting out being interested in firearms, buy a good set of Screwdrivers dedicated to gun smithing, right from the get-go.
I bought a set of Chapman's sometime in the late 70's. Still using them today, though I must admit I've replaced some of the bits over the years...at a buck each.

I bought a set of Chapman's sometime in the late 70's. Still using them today, though I must admit I've replaced some of the bits over the years...at a buck each.
Yeah, that's about the same for me. I goobered up some screws on my first few attempts at mounting a scope, and asked my buddy what I was doing wrong. The next time we went to the Gun and Nut show together, he pointed at a set of Champans and said, "At least you'll know you're using the right screwdriver when it happens again."

Razor sharp chisels really help. I tried to finish a stick with an old dull set, and it didn't go well.
It is the nature of cutting tools that they do not remain sharp.
1692629870487.png

Here's what works for me. This is pretty basic. I have and use many more tools than these, but I started with much less. Any questions please ask.

Attachments

• 20230821_104132.jpg
    20230821_104132.jpg
    624.3 KB
  • 20230821_103625.jpg
    20230821_103625.jpg
    629.6 KB
  • 20230821_103004.jpg
    20230821_103004.jpg
    355.2 KB
  • 20230821_102947.jpg
    20230821_102947.jpg
    315.9 KB
  • 20230821_102916.jpg
    20230821_102916.jpg
    369.6 KB
  • 20230821_102853.jpg
    20230821_102853.jpg
    490.7 KB
  • 20230821_102846.jpg
    20230821_102846.jpg
    693 KB
  • 20230821_102837.jpg
    20230821_102837.jpg
    795.9 KB
  • 20230821_102828.jpg
    20230821_102828.jpg
    424.5 KB
  • 20230821_102819.jpg
    20230821_102819.jpg
    571 KB
All of my screw drivers were bought at farm auctions and ground to fit.
I admire people who restore or repurpose rather than buy new. My kids have, over the years, referred to me as cheap. Not true, but I am frugal. If forced to buy new, I buy the best I can afford and only cry once. Lots of similar folks on this site and one of the reasons I like it here.

This is an old picture of some project bench chisels made back in the days where Quality was more important than Price. These had been used and abused. The big one is at least a hundred years old, a 2" Swan I got for $4. I turned and fitted a new handle. It is one of the ones I kept, but rarely use. There were another 40-50 in that box needing some work, all but a couple are socket handled chisels...I have a passion for those. Bought every other chisel for less than a buck at yard sales and fleas. The equivalent quality today is only made by a very few, small, specialty companies with prices starting at $40 each. At the time the photo was taken, another 50 or so had been restored, flattened and sharpened. Like a dummy, I never took a photo of the nice looking restored ones.

Health issues have limited my activities the last couple of years, but I'm hopeful to get back to some tool restorations by spring. I've got a few hundred pounds of Stanley bench planes waiting to be restored into user grade, and want to play at making some small chisels from screwdrivers since I can't get chinesium concrete nails to harden and US-made concrete nails no longer exist.

1692637189881.jpeg

Sorry but this kind of thread just bugs me to no end. And I'm sure some will say I too am guilty of it but here goes.

The OP obviously has the computer skills to search the internet or I doubt he'd be able to come here. Kibler has tool recommendations on his site and even sells a few. Page 2 of my Woodsrunner instructions has a recommended tool list. The search function right here. YouTube has videos that list tools. And most tools might become obvious simply through the build process and/or reading the instructions.

Point is we have several generations now pretending to be adults who always try the shortcut of asking someone first. Granted it can usually be faster and maybe even more accurate. But what do they learn from it? How to kiss up? Did their teachers and parents just hand them the answers in school? I hope not but I know many do.

Doing the research on ones own can result in so much more knowledge than just a simple tool list. And more satisfying for the individual.

OK, rant over. My apologies!
We've dumbed down the ability to get on the web and get to where we want. How many people turn on their 'internet machine', look for the icon they want, click on it, and 'lo and behold', they are where they want to be. They have no idea how the connection is made, where the connection sends the signal (even getting past the router and modem or cable box) and the destination.
Get rid of the icon, by accident remove it, and people are lost. I've consulted on many installation both government and commercial and these people only know icons. I've known people who, when told to use the mouse, hold the mouse to the screen and move it thinking it will move the cursor.
Have a nice day, everyone.

We've dumbed down the ability to get on the web and get to where we want. How many people turn on their 'internet machine', look for the icon they want, click on it, and 'lo and behold', they are where they want to be. They have no idea how the connection is made, where the connection sends the signal (even getting past the router and modem or cable box) and the destination.
Get rid of the icon, by accident remove it, and people are lost. I've consulted on many installation both government and commercial and these people only know icons. I've known people who, when told to use the mouse, hold the mouse to the screen and move it thinking it will move the cursor.
Have a nice day, everyone.
Reminds me of the Star Trek movie where Scotty picked up the mouse and spoke into it.

Hello Computer

Back