• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little preseason scout...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shh don't tell anybody, I snuck out for a little while. Since I got my CATV running like a top last week or so, I been itchin to check out whats going on in the back 40. I decided to take along my .36 and see if I couldn't get that first flintlock squirrel with it. Drove to one of my favorite spots and loaded it up, used the powder measure Scobrien made me for it. :thumbsup: I was there about 20 minutes when a nice fat grey came bounding down to me at about 15 yards he became the first kill for this New England style rifle Roy Stroh built me. :thumbsup: Loaded it back up and shot the second one 10 minutes later. I then decided to check on sign at another spot and shot #3. Three for three! I then went and sat at a third stand and chased two greys out as I was driving to the spot. Loaded the gun and sat there for a while before one of the greys came back, that was a mistake on his part... Four for four:thumbsup:

That was fun and real shot in the arm for me. I really needed this little hunt bad and I hope to get to do it again soon! Right now I got one dirty gun and four squirrels to clean....

DSCF3884.JPG

Ya just made my day! good fer you Swampy! so glad you got out..an got to show up!!! never say quit!! attaboy!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

RC said:
Ya just made my day! good fer you Swampy! so glad you got out..an got to show up!!! never say quit!! attaboy!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
Couldn't have said it any better!!!

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :grin: :grin:
Great to see you put that gun to use :grin: :thumbsup:

Welp, four nice squirrels soakin in salt water now. Three males and one female so I guess I didn't hurt the population much. :haha: Been threatening to do this for several years now as I'm generally surrounded by up to a dozen most of the times I go out to sit for deer. Felt good to be able to finally do it. :thumbsup:

Kinda wish I stayed another 20, 30 minutes or so. I probably would have been able to limit out with 5 greys...but I was gone long enough and was very happy to have gotten these four. :thumbsup:

Outstanding :thumbsup: You made my day readin' that. You simply can't beat squirrel hunting in New England in the fall.

Your rifle is ok too. :rotf:

Good on you Swampy. And as Flintlock58 says, that is a great photo. I am proud to have one of my measures used on a hunt clear across the country from me. I am especially glad you got to spend some time in the woods all the while making crack shots and knocking some game out of their tracks!!!

Back