• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Question for John L Hinnant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
With all this debate shallow rifled(1:48 twist) vs. Deep rifled (1:66 twist)I would like hear what John has to say about the 1:48 twist rifled barrels.I am not trying to start a WAR! But I truly would like to hear your thoughts. I shoot a Pedersoli frontier 45 cal,1:48 twist,.008 rifling(older Rifle,was checked by Dale Story DGS gunsmithing).This not my only rifle but I am using as an example.Currently using .445rb,40grns swiss,.015 patch.Rws caps.Fifty yards I use 40grns of 3fg Swiss(off hand)So in your opinion..is this good load?Your thoughts are greatly appreciated...Respectfully montanadan

montanadan said:
is this good load?

You tell us.

Is it accurate? Does it group well? If so, then it's a good load. If not, then start adjusting the patch and powder intil it is a "good load".

Dale Brown said:
montanadan said:
is this good load?

You tell us.

Is it accurate? Does it group well? If so, then it's a good load. If not, then start adjusting the patch and powder intil it is a "good load".

Hmm .. must be John incogneeto I reckon ...! :hmm: :grin:

Davy

Good Evening MontanaDan,

Well, I do not know about this war bit, but you are getting that 5 gallon can of gasoline a little too close to the firestorm.

I assume you know that is not water in that can.

Seriously, I did touch on that subject in my post on accurate barrels.

For tonight, let us see if this firestorm will burn down some. Sharon keeps wanting me to explain all of the strange telephone calls that have been coming in all day. She does not understand the talk concerning tar, feathers, riding a rail. hemp rope, etc.

She keeps asking if I am trying to sell some of my stored up supplies.

I will send a PM tmmorrow if possible. In the meantime, I think .008" deep rifling is good for 45 caliber and smaller.

Ask Davy about his 45 caliber Pedersoli.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

Davy said:
Dale Brown said:
montanadan said:
is this good load?

You tell us.

Hmm .. must be John incogneeto I reckon ...! :hmm: :grin:

Davy

The forums are not personal mailboxes. I think anything posted here is meant for public discussion. Email works if you want to keep it private. :grin:

Erased .. did not mean to imply or start a flame war with anyone ... my apologies to you fine folks ! :hatsoff:

Davy

I am Very sorry for this post..The way it reads was TRULY not my intent.My point was many of us regular shooter's use these styles of barrel's.Whether you have a T/C,Pedersoli,Cabela's,CVA...I wanted JOHN L.to share his thoughts on patch,ball and their relationship to the rifling and loads.Similar to the post on slow twist deep rifled barrels.This was NOT intended in a negative way ...some of us (ME included)...might have learned something.My sincerest Apologies to all...Respectfully Montanadan

No apologies necessary from anyone. :v

I realize that we sometimes direct a question at a particular member (which is acceptable), and we all benefit from the answer. :thumbsup:

When it becomes a problem is when someone highjacks a thread with personal Q&A. (where do you live, let's get together, etc.) Those things should really be in an email.

We will be adding "Regional Forums" for the members, and that area will be where people can plan activities together or share local information.

Claude Mathis said:

I realize that we sometimes direct a question at a particular member (which is acceptable), and we all benefit from the answer. :thumbsup:

When it becomes a problem is when someone highjacks a thread with personal Q&A. (where do you live, let's get together, etc.) Those things should really be in an email.

We will be adding "Regional Forums" for the members, and that area will be where people can plan activities together or share local information.

Thats a great isear Claude ... a great idear! :thumbsup:

Davy

Claude Mathis said:

Great idea on the new forums...I like it
79731810.gif
4c110a16.gif

Hello John L.,

I have watched you shoot bench rest at Brady, and you are always using wind flags and a wind gauge. I plan to use my new Jim Bridger Hawken 58 for cross sticks this year at Brady. Do you think the wind will affect the 58 enough to need wind flags? What do you think? Also, where I can order one of your gun bluing booklets? I am wanting to possibley brown or blue the Hawken 58. but am leaning toward browning. Thanks,

rabbit03

Good Evening r03,

Yes, the wind will definately affect even a 58. Remember Tom Leggett. He shot a Briesen 62 caliber and had trouble with the wind even with his 62.

Our averge wind condition at Brady will be enough to move a 50 - 62 caliber ball from the X-ring to the 10 ring or from the 10 ring to the 9 ring at 50 yards and more at 100 yards.

I am working on a new gadget to give me a better read on those pesky quartering winds. Those are the killers.

Yep, no doubt; you are going to have to use wind flags to beat the likes of Bob Mims and J.D. Stoddard.

There is an old saying about shooting cross sticks.

"It takes X's to win at 50 yards and 10's to win at 100 yards.

I will send you a PM on the other.

As usual you are free to accept or reject, use or not use my opinions and information.

John L. Hinnant

John

IS there a place you can buy these wind flags premade? I have seen them of course being used and most were homemade ones. Also what about ideas on the best ones to make yourself ... any decent plans you would like to share? :hmm:

Thanx ...

Davy

Good Evening Davy,

Yes, wind flags made especially for shooting are commercially available, but they are most expensive (at least to my checking account).

I will have to look up that address for you and get back to you.

It is not difficult to make a simple but effective wind flag, but a bit more difficult to verbal describe how to do it. If you want me to, I can get on my CADD program, and make a drawing for you much easier than to try to tell you how.

I will have to mail it to you, since I do not have a scanner to use to Email it to you.

John L. Hinnant

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
Good Evening Davy,

Yes, wind flags made especially for shooting are commercially available, but they are most expensive (at least to my checking account).

I will have to look up that address for you and get back to you.

It is not difficult to make a simple but effective wind flag, but a bit more difficult to verbal describe how to do it. If you want me to, I can get on my CADD program, and make a drawing for you much easier than to try to tell you how.

I will have to mail it to you, since I do not have a scanner to use to Email it to you.

John L. Hinnant

Thanx John, I am sure there are others here who would like to know more about wind flags and their usage. I know I would, having never used them before. :grin:

Davy

John L. if and when you send a copy to Davy would you allow him to share them with me perhaps? I would really like a set for myself too. The old ones made from log chains have finally worn out from the Brady wind.

rabbit03

rabbit03 said:
John L. if and when you send a copy to Davy would you allow him to share them with me perhaps? I would really like a set for myself too. The old ones made from log chains have finally worn out from the Brady wind.

rabbit03

Just weld a boat anchor to the ends .. that will get you thru until you can get some heavy duty ones! :thumbsup:

Davy

Latest posts

Back