• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question for shooters who make their caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are countless threads some extolling and others condemning substitute powders, especially Pyrodex. The scarcity and price of commercial caps are real concerns, so I understand the need for, and the popularity of, the diy caps. I wonder, has anyone been concerned about any possible harm that the home brew propellants in the caps might cause, and perhaps done any tests to find out.

The Prime All compound sold by 22LRReloader and others has been analyzed and it was determined to be based on an early 20th Century Frankford Arsenal formula. So, in a sense, it's been tested in billions of rounds of US military ammunition.

It is corrosive that leaves salts behind so you must clean with a water based solvent. Considering that in this application it's being used to ignite black powder or a substitute, and you need to do that anyway, in my opinion it's not really a downside, with one exception. That's if you snap a cap to clear the flash channel on gun prior to loading it for a hunt, and don't clear and clean the gun at the end of the day.

To add 9n to @Dave Markowitz fine answer, my DIY caps are significantly hotter than the commercial varieties. It's undoubtedly a function of how much compound I use in the making. I've not tested them with any of the subs because I don't have any on hand but I'm thinking that they would solve the ignition issues that some have with subs.

The Prime All compound sold by 22LRReloader and others has been analyzed and it was determined to be based on an early 20th Century Frankford Arsenal formula. So, in a sense, it's been tested in billions of rounds of US military ammunition.

It is corrosive that leaves salts behind so you must clean with a water based solvent. Considering that in this application it's being used to ignite black powder or a substitute, and you need to do that anyway, in my opinion it's not really a downside, with one exception. That's if you snap a cap to clear the flash channel on gun prior to loading it for a hunt, and don't clear and clean the gun at the end of the day.

Agreed, the stuff will cause rusting if not cleaned. While it won't really hurt a stainless steel nipple, it will runs the barrel area surrounding where the nipple is placed AND inside the channel that directs the cap-flash to the powder.

LD

They work great zero issues with pyrodex or t7.
Been using them for over a year shoot a lot and no rust or any issues at all.
I really prefer the 3d printed over the aluminum for completely eliminating cap jams.
They just do not happen with that material even the 1849 runs smoothly with them.

Back