• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About your hunting rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freedom.......That's a huge elk and a powerful load. I assembled a 54 Colonial for myself and it's a solid rifle for sure. I'm glade it can handle those large loads.

I'm no hunter. So curious about what your flintlock hunting rifle really looks like. There are a lot of beautiful rifles shown but very little on the working rifle. I don't know but do you have a working rifle for hunting? Hoping to see some photo's especially those working rifles and their makes & models. Maybe give us a brief as to what's most important to you in a hunting rifle and why you chose it. What's the best place for squirrel hunting? ................labrat
I have four muzzleloaders; I know :p, looks of derision, they are all percussion - two Parker Hale .58s (1853 and 1858) and two Pedersoli .54s (Tryon and Rocky Mountain Hawken). Why percussion and not flintlock, well, I restarted a little later in life with ye olde black magic and my safe is full - my state firearms registry may have a fit if I apply to acquire anymore beauties! I have hunted regularly with three of them - I am yet to blood the 1853, though she has done a lot of target work with fine results. I'll get around to taking her out later on in the year. And no, not fancy, but not beaters, like others here I look after my kit.

And the best place for squirrels? Heck, if I ever see a squirrel in the wild over here in Australia, I'll suspect I'm very drunk!😆

Cheers, Pete

hunt3.jpg
hunt2.jpg
Hunt1.jpg

Whoa, when they hauled all those invasive species to Australia they overlooked squirrels?🐿

We need to gather up some that are only mildly wounded and send them your way.
:p Yup. No squirrels. Never mind. I'll just have to be content with Samba, Fallow, Chital, Red Deer, Hog Deer, Rusa, Donkeys, Brumbies, Buffalo, Banteng, Bullocks, Boar, Foxes, Rabbits, Cats, Goats, Camels ...

Thanks for the offer, @longcruise, but given our current border restrictions you'd best keep those squirrels at home!

Cheers, Pete

Any muzzleloader I acquire is subject to being used in the field, plain or fancy.

For small game I currently have a .62 smooth rifle and a .36 Kibler SMR. The .62 smoothie was built by a George Raasch of Indiana and has been on many of my small game hunts.

2024-10-23_10-48-31.jpg
2024-10-23_10-44-47.jpg

My Kibler SMR .36 has also taken squirrels and rabbits:

2024-10-23_10-55-53.jpg

For deer, my Pedersoli RMH in .54 has been on hunts with me for 20 years. It's one rifle that will be with me to the grave. It carries the marks of lots of time in the fall and winter woods.

2024-10-23_10-52-08.jpg
2024-10-23_10-47-24.jpg
2024-10-23_10-41-55.jpg

For flint rifles I currently have several. My favorite is a .54 colonial attributed to G.L. Jones. This is a sleek well balanced rifle. This one likes more powder than I prefer @ 105 gr 2F (I usually use 90 in .54) but that was the most accurate load, so it's what I use.

20161126_091414.jpg

20161126_090641.jpg

My Brooks colonial in .54 has been on hunts, but I haven't taken game with it.

2024-10-23_10-53-28.jpg

I also have an Isaac Haines in .54 built by our own Dave Person that shoots very well and has been on hunts but I haven't taken game with it.

Any muzzleloader I acquire is subject to being used in the field, plain or fancy.

For small game I currently have a .62 smooth rifle and a .36 Kibler SMR. The .62 smoothie was built by a George Raasch of Indiana and has been on many of my small game hunts.

View attachment 357366View attachment 357370

My Kibler SMR .36 has also taken squirrels and rabbits:

View attachment 357371

For deer, my Pedersoli RMH in .54 has been on hunts with me for 20 years. It's one rifle that will be with me to the grave. It carries the marks of lots of time in the fall and winter woods.

View attachment 357374View attachment 357375View attachment 357376

For flint rifles I currently have several. My favorite is a .54 colonial attributed to G.L. Jones. This is a sleek well balanced rifle. This one likes more powder than I prefer @ 105 gr 2F (I usually use 90 in .54) but that was the most accurate load, so it's what I use.

View attachment 357378
View attachment 357379

My Brooks colonial in .54 has been on hunts, but I haven't taken game with it.

View attachment 357385

I also have an Isaac Haines in .54 built by our own Dave Person that shoots very well and has been on hunts but I haven't taken game with it.

View attachment 357386
Beautiful guns, really nice deer and love the orange capote. My guns are 'fence posts' compared to your guns. Pretty cool you have a Brooks gun, also.

Back