• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acceptable 100 yd groups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do y'all consider acceptable group size at one hundred yards? Do you expect cloverleafs, or can you live with 6-inch groups. I've got two new rifles to play with and am wondering at what point should I stop fiddling with the load and let things be just good enough. (I'm a frustrated perfectionist and would struggle to get one-hole groups if left unsupervised :wink: .

As I've mentioned before, I'm just getting back into blackpowder after decades away and have much to relearn. Any help is greatly appreciated.

For my use in hunting 3"-4" at a hundred is perfectly adequate. For competition I would want it tight as I could get.

You did not say what you are shooting. What kind and type of lock. What barrel and triggers are you using?
If you are using a Chambers flint lock and a Rice barrel you could expect more. If you are shooting an import production gun you may expect less. What
patch, powder, round ball or conical. Are you shooting
off hand at 100 yds or from a bench. :confused:

I agree with 3"-4" groups from a bench for hunting applications. What's acceptable to you?

I've never shot a buck past 70yds where I hunt, mostly closer...but on the rare times that I did occasional bench testing the goal was to break 3" from the bench...as I knew I'd never have that good of an ideal shooting position in the woods and the groups would probably be twice that size under woods conditions of excitement, poor rest, possibly low light visibility, etc

At my age, the only place I expect to see cloverleaf s would be on my lawn.

I would think a 4 inch group off hand would be a great one.

Acceptable Group
That's a hard question to answer. I guess the bigger the animal the bigger acceptable group. The boiler room is where it has to be for a clean kill. I try to keep my shots under 70yds.

that was funny :rotf:

same as above.

i dont think i EVER sighted my gun in at 100 yds for hunting.

i sight my gun in at 13 yds,then 25 yds then 50 yds.

thats it.most of my buck are shot at 25 yds,max is around 50 yds.

100 yds is not something i do with open sights.

redwing, I'll be working up loads for a .45 Pedersoli Tryon rifle and a Cabela's .58 Hawken, each have double set triggers. I want to find a combination of patch, ball and powder that will produce the smallest groups practicable. I expect to spend most of my time with them shooting small-ish targets at 25 yards, which is most convinient at my club range. However, I'd like to know I can rely on the rifles to perform well out to 100 yards, just 'cause. I live in a tiny cabin without much room for a deep freeze, so I may not go after deer with these rifles, unless I can find somewhere to store the meat. I'll be shooting against myself, mostly. It would be nice to know I'm getting the best groups out of these rifles, so I can tell when I'm doing my part and when I'm not. For example, if I can get the rifles to shoot three-inch groups at 100 yards, and I only shoot 8-inch groups, then I'll know I've got to make five inches worth of improvement in my shooting abilities. That's why I want to know what to consider acceptable 100 yard groups, so I'll have a starting point for practice. Does that make sense?

nw_hunter said:
I would think a 4 inch group off hand would be a great one.

I agree a 4" group at 100 yards off hand would be great...not anything I'll ever do on a normal basis mind you...but it would be great for sure
:grin:

sproulman I get what you mean about sighting in at close ranges. I once put the sneak on a buck and got within ten feet of him before he realized I was there. Most of the deer I see out in the woods are relatively close. However, I'd just like to know what would be an accceptable 100 yard group, just so I can tell if my rifles are shooting about as well as can be expected, on average, or if they need more tuning. I'm not so much concerned about sighting in for 100 yard shots as I am in getting smallish 100 yard groups.

In match shooting the 5 rounds are placed in the 10 Ring off hand 5 times. I think with an import production gun off of a rest 4" to 6" on a standard Black Powder 100 Yd. target would be Ok for 3 Rd. groups. This of course may translate to 8" to 12" or more in a hunting situation. Work up a good 50 yd load and go out from there. A rifle zeroed about 1 7/8"+ at 50 yds should be close at 100 yds. :thumbsup:

The only groups I shoot are on a bench and over sand bags. With my conicals I can shoot under 2" about any day if I do my part. I have shot a lot of groups under 1" but so much comes into play.
The smallest group I have shot with my 50 was a .402 and the smallest for my 45 is a .697
I have also had several groups in the 4" range at 200 yards. After I am sure I like my load I don't shoot many groups and go to shooting pop bottles and gallon milk jugs. If I do my part 2 letter pop bottles are toast out to 200 with field rests like over a back pack or with shooting sticks. Ron

with PRB 4" at 100 yds on a calm day is good shooting IMO. I've been experimenting with Lee REAL slugs in my .50 and at 75yds so far I've beat my PRB groups, I've lucked up a time or two and got around 3" maybe little better. this is off a bench.
I don't know as I've ever shot 100yd targets. I consider 75yds my practical limit - iron sights and not-so-good vision anymore.

Ron,
That is some great shooting!IMHO With my
old eyes I couldn't find my way home from
200 yards :wink:. I'll stay at 50 yds and hope
them deer walk towards me another 15. I think
the longest shot I have ever harvested one was
60yds. The terrain I hunt just don't allow
for a shot much further.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I sight my guns in with the absolute requirement that they shoot within 1 MOA and nothing less! The majority of my shooting after sighting in is for hunting. I sight in at 75 yds & then finish off shooting a few rounds at 100 yds to make sure how they group.

Oh yea.....my definition of MOA is not what you're thinking. MOA = minute of animal!(kill zone) :blah: :rotf:

Idaho Ron said:
smallest group I have shot with my 50 was a .402

Since a .402 group size is smaller than the size of the .50cal being used, I assume that would be something like a cloverleaf with the print on the target being larger than a single projectile, but you're measuring from center to center of overlapping holes?

I expect two to three inch groups at 100 yards off a bench. That's about as good as my eyes will do with open iron sights especially when the front sight will cover the whole impact area.

All my rifles will do it but it took some patience to work up the powder/patch/ball loads that will give that kind of performance.

I agree with Mike. The muzzleloader barrel will deliver very accurate groups at 100 yds. However, the limitation more than the inherent accuracy of the barrel is the primitive open iron sights. The gun will do it but your eyes and the iron sights won't!

Back