• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

advantage of swamped barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've seen mention of swamped barrels here on the flintlock section several times. Out of curiosity, what is the advantage, if any, of a swamped barrel? All my front stuffers have straight barrels but I would like to learn.

Thanks,

Jeff

Plus they are just plain better looking longrifles when finished besides being lighter and better balanced.

I'll add one more detail. If the front and rear sight are of equal height, it's already sighted in vertically because the top of the front sight is closer to the bore.

The swamping takes weight off the muzzle end of the barrel, yet the muzzle flares out at the end so that the front sight doesn't have to be extra tall.

Many Klatch

Jeff,
I have built and shot a lot of rifles with and without swamped barrels. There is simply no comparison between the feel and balance of a swamped barrel compared to a similar sized straight barrel. The balance and distribution of the weight makes the swamped barrel feel lighter and less muzzle heavy. Moreover, the thick breech allows you much greater flexibility in styling the gun and creating graceful lines. Swamped barrels are well worth the extra cost.

dave

Everybody,

Thanks for the great descriptions. Now I understand.

Are there kits out there I might investigate? I'm not too handy but I could probably manage a kit where the barrel and lock are already inletted. (I picked up an old CVA Hawkin flintlock kit, ten bucks at a yard sale, I'll be trying this winter. That would be some cheap practise.)

Since I have to save up anyway, I can also keep an eye open for a completed gun. It won't be soon but it will give me something to look forward to.

Again, thanks for the quick, helpful replies.

Regards, Jeff

Folks,

Just discovered that Dunlap Woodcrafts is a 20 minute drive from my house in Virginia. If their kits are appropriate for quality (comments are welcome) and my skill level, it would sure be convenient.

Regards, Jeff

I'll make a strong recommendation for Dunlap Woodcrafts, even more so if you can hand pick your project.

I've built one and am working on another Dunlap project. On the first one most of the inletting was done, lock, butt plate, side plate, trigger and guard, etc. It took very little to clean up for better fit. Well the butt plate required some effort but that is common. Even the foreend was well shaped.

The second one requires inletting all the above minus the lock. And the forend is left square.

Of course the barrel and ramrod channels are done but require some work on the breech plus some minor sraping for best fit.

:thumbsup:

Old Salt

You are truly blessed to be that close to Wayne.

I would suggest his Jaeger kit for a first go around.

Jagers came from mild to wild and his stock pattern is a dandy.

Carving and engraving can be held to a minimum and you will still be PC.

His Isaac Haines with a "B" weght barrel is a joy to shoot.

You will be in good hands.

Good Luck

BullRunBear said:
Hi Folks,

I've seen mention of swamped barrels here on the flintlock section several times. Out of curiosity, what is the advantage, if any, of a swamped barrel? All my front stuffers have straight barrels but I would like to learn.

Thanks,

Jeff

The only advantages are a lighter rifle that still has a barrel with a heavy breech and they look better. A swamped barrel will not shoot any better than a straight and from the purely technical standpoint should not shoot as well since a straight barrel requires less machining and has a uniform cross section throughout. But I would hesitate to say a given straight barrel would out shoot a given swamped one. But if I were making a rifle for match shooting *only* it would have a straight barrel.
Dan

Another thing not mentioned so far, is that there were no straight barrels in the 18th c. They were either swamped, or tapered, and Swamped barrels for 18th c. were pretty much the norm. In addition, the swamped barrel, with it's large breech being on a taper, makes for a more pleasing appearance. The human eye abhors parallels, and it adds a little more wood to a basicly weak wrist area. If it's 18th c., it just ain't right, unless it is swamped.

I saw Mr. Dunlaps kits at the gunmakers fair this year. They are of high quality and would make a fine rifle. I really liked the "B" wieght lancaster kit with the 38" barrel.

I have built two Dunlap Haines rifles, one Track of the Wolf Haines rifle, a TVM Lancaster, and a Chamber Marshall rifle. For the money, I believe that Wayne Dunlap provides the best wood. The components are top of the line as (I believe) he usually provides Rice barrels and Chambers locks. If you don't mind spending a bit more, you can't miss with a Chambers kit either...

Dave W

Latest posts

Back